IGNORED

Next Five

Hellfire Corner

I think we can get points against Derby and Leeds and then beat Fulham. All of sudden we're 5 unbeaten and take some confidence into games against Newcastle (which I can't see us winning) and Villa (which I can)

Of course, we could just as easily be staring at 5 defeats on the bounce by the end of Feb and heading towards relegation 

I dont blame our fans, after the run we've been on and Saturday's performance was far from convincing, but the nature of the championship is unpredictable.

I'm confident of at the very least causing one shock result, If we can get something from the Derby game.. it would take us to three unbeaten,

and something to really build on going into the rest of this months fixtures.  

I fancy us to take 7 from the 15 points available.

Derby W (We'll play Djuric & Taylor and win this 2-1)

Leeds L (We never get anything at Elland Road- 0-2)

Fulham W (Were Fulhams bogey side. a must win home game that we'll win 1-0)

Newcastle L (Players, staff & fans will be right up for this one, a narrow 1 nil defeat due to their quality) 

Villa D (Although they have some real talent, they still remain nothing special 1-1 Kodjia to inevitably score for them) 

I don't think we have a heavy defeat in us. I think we can get 6 in the away matches as can see us beating Derby and Villa(can see it but admittedly not likely). Leeds and Newcastle will be tougher but a point in either is possible. Need at least 4 points from those away matches and a win against fulham. No easy task but possible. We played SW well and I think they'll have that same freedom in the away games. 

I am actually quite optimistic about the next few fixtures. We performed well and got some good points against these teams when we had our home fixtures. I think the fact that we have managed to get a couple of decent results will put us in good stead going into this run of games. I think we will manage two wins and a draw out of the next five. 

You've also got to consider the fixtures of the teams around us.  Take Burton for example, they are currently on the same points as us - 31.  Their next 5 fixtures are:

Brighton Away

Norwich Home

Derby Away

Blackburn Home

Us. Away.

Genuinely how many points do you reckon their fans reckon they can get from those? I'd say they are facing L L L and then they are into two massive games that could hugely affect their season, including us at home.

Blackburn's next 5 (ignoring Man U in the cup):

Rotherham Away

Sheff Wed Away

Burton Away

Derby Home

Wigan Home

Not as tough perhaps but can you really see them getting much from Sheff Wed and Derby? Rotherham have been good at home of late as well.  Plus how might they be affected by a possible 4 or 5 nil drubbing by Man U?

Now QPR, just above us on 34 points:

Huddersfield Home

Brum Away

Wigan Home

Preston Away

Cardiff Home

Perhaps easier on paper than our fixtures but still, maybe they'll pick up points against Wigan, maybe some against Preston or Cardiff.

Guess my point is you can't look at us in isolation.  You can't just moan about our fixtures and our style of play and our bad luck.  It's going to be tough for any of the teams I've mentioned in this post to get 7 or more points from their next 5 league games.  I say that come Burton at home we will still be above 22 place.

1 hour ago, Snufflelufagus said:

On paper all very tough games, but its certainly better than playing Peterborough, Rochdale, MK Dons, Bradford and Scunthorpe.

That's very true although Scunthorpe would be going up it looks like! So we wouldn't play them. God I don't want to go back to LG1.

6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

You've also got to consider the fixtures of the teams around us.  Take Burton for example, they are currently on the same points as us - 31.  Their next 5 fixtures are:

Brighton Away

Norwich Home

Derby Away

Blackburn Home

Us. Away.

Genuinely how many points do you reckon their fans reckon they can get from those? I'd say they are facing L L L and then they are into two massive games that could hugely affect their season, including us at home.

Rotherham Away

Sheff Wed Away

Burton Away

Derby Home

Wigan Home

Not as tough perhaps but can you really see them getting much from Sheff Wed and Derby? Rotherham have been good at home of late as well.  Plus how might they be affected by a possible 4 or 5 nil drubbing by Man U?

Huddersfield Home

Brum Away

Wigan Home

Preston Away

Cardiff Home

Perhaps easier on paper than our fixtures but still, maybe they'll pick up points against Wigan, maybe some against Preston or Cardiff.

Guess my point is you can't look at us in isolation.  You can't just moan about our fixtures and our style of play and our bad luck.  It's going to be tough for any of the teams I've mentioned in this post to get 7 or more points from their next 5 league games.  I say that come Burton at home we will still be above 22 place.

Good post :clap:

23 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Brighton Away

Norwich Home

Derby Away

Blackburn Home

Us. Away.

Rotherham Away

Sheff Wed Away

Burton Away

Derby Home

Wigan Home

Huddersfield Home

Brum Away

Wigan Home

Preston Away

Cardiff Home

If people take the blinkers off, we might get a sense of realism about our current position.

I just don't know what's going to happen in the next 5 games, but I'm hopeful (no sense of realism, just a gut instinct).

I suspect that we'll be seen as the underdog over the next few games and with this, and I have no idea why this seem to happen on occasion, top dog teams seem to approach such games with trepidation (look how City approached Rotherham). If City tackle the games from a position of confidence (a big if), we might pull some rabbits out of the hat. If we go in timid, absolutely no chance of a win.

Very pessimistic. Best guesses:

Derby (A)  L 2-1 Derby have lost 3 of their last 5. So a fortuitous time to play them, but they're fighting for the top 6 so should still be too good for us.

Leeds (A)  L 3-1 Leeds have only lost 2 of the last 10, both to Yorkshire rivals. Unfortunately we're West Country, and bar recent results against fellow Tykes, when the extra emotion of the occasion seems to take it's toll, they look consistently strong.

Fulham (H) D 2-2 Fulham tend to win, lose and draw in equal measure. Draw most likely for this one.

Newcastle (A) L 0-3 Newcastle are top of the table and a good chance they still will be when we visit. And afterwards.

Aston Villa (A) L 1-0 Villa haven't won in their last 6, but we'll be on a run of 1 point in 12 if my forecasts are correct, so even if their unimpressive results continue home advantage is likely to be decisive. Just.

P.S. Anything can happen in football so I reserve the right to amend forecasts once the run progresses and we see how City, and the other teams, are getting on, but it really is impossible to view the prospect of that run of fixtures with any confidence as things stand today.

4 hours ago, Hellfire Corner said:

Derby - Heavy Defeat 3-0

Leeds - sneaky draw 1-1 - Taylor goal

Fulham - Close game but two late goals -  Win 3-1 Tammy, Taylor, Flint

Newcastle - Hard fought defeat 1-0

Villa - Really think we can win this one 2-0. Brace for Djuric

God, this beer's good!!!

Fulham postponed?

Survival is now the minimum aim (50 points) - so we need to average just over a point a game from here on in (19 points in 17 games)

The next 5 games look our toughest month on paper, but we need to get through them with a minimum of 5 points, 1 win, 2 draws and 2 losses. I believe we will do that as a minimum.

Anything less or any major spankings then LJ's position is seriously untenable. 

6 hours ago, Hellfire Corner said:

Derby - Heavy Defeat 3-0

Leeds - sneaky draw 1-1 - Taylor goal

Fulham - Close game but two late goals -  Win 3-1 Tammy, Taylor, Flint

Newcastle - Hard fought defeat 1-0

Villa - Really think we can win this one 2-0. Brace for Djuric

God, this beer's good!!!

I appreciate you have been drinking.

We just need to know 'what' you have been drinking?

:dunno:

How, FFS, do you calculate we will get a draw away at Leeds??

How?

And HOW, FFS, are we going to restrict Newcastle to one goal only???

I admire your positivity, but I can say we will win all of these games 3-0. We won't. Lucky to get a point from the lot.

We .......... are ****** doomed.

"Doomed, I say".

:badmood:

tfj

11 minutes ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

I appreciate you have been drinking.

We just need to know 'what' you have been drinking?

:dunno:

How, FFS, do you calculate we will get a draw away at Leeds??

How?

And HOW, FFS, are we going to restrict Newcastle to one goal only???

I admire your positivity, but I can say we will win all of these games 3-0. We won't. Lucky to get a point from the lot.

We .......... are ****** doomed.

"Doomed, I say".

:badmood:

tfj

Why do you need to say FFS????

Swearing, even in initial form is totally unnecessary. This is a forum to express views, not to resort to that. My forecasts are my opinion, and you have yours - fair enough, but please don't swear at me. Love and peace!

14 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Survival is now the minimum aim (50 points) - so we need to average just over a point a game from here on in (19 points in 17 games)

The next 5 games look our toughest month on paper, but we need to get through them with a minimum of 5 points, 1 win, 2 draws and 2 losses. I believe we will do that as a minimum.

Anything less or any major spankings then LJ's position is seriously untenable. 

Compared to postings on other threads you seem to have changed your tune regarding LJ's position and what would make it untenable as you describe. How so?

And would you agree that if we are on less points at the end of February and 34 games as compared to 2016, our chances of survival in this division are extremely slim & LJ finally needs replacing? Or are we retaining him whatever the outcome?

If we do go down without replacing him, I would suggest that there will be an almighty outcry from the majority of fans at the Gate, the like of which SL has not experienced before. It won't be pretty!

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

Compared to postings on other threads you seem to have changed your tune regarding LJ's position and what would make it untenable as you describe. How so?

And would you agree that if we are on less points at the end of February and 34 games as compared to 2016, our chances of survival in this division are extremely slim & LJ finally needs replacing? Or are we retaining him whatever the outcome?

If we do go down without replacing him, I would suggest that there will be an almighty outcry from the majority of fans at the Gate, the like of which SL has not experienced before. It won't be pretty!

I actually don't think it would be the majority. I think this forum is definitely full with more negative fans which then gives the impression more fans want LJ out.

Im think a lot more are in support of him than you think.

14 hours ago, Hellfire Corner said:

Why do you need to say FFS????

Swearing, even in initial form is totally unnecessary. This is a forum to express views, not to resort to that. My forecasts are my opinion, and you have yours - fair enough, but please don't swear at me. Love and peace!

Good god, what is the world ******* coming to! 

Before the Fulham fixture was popped on there, I said we needed 4 minimum to stand much chance of keeping out of the bottom three; would revise that to maybe 5 now.  No idea where those will come though; just that we need them.

But that is bare minimum and don't think it will take us away from the bottom, just keep us in touch.  

It is March where we need to really go for it; three home games including Burton and QPR, which may end up six pointers for us.

We get more than five points from the next five and I'd say we're doing very well.

20 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Why do people think we are Fulhams' bogey team? The last game we played them at Ashton Gate, they battered us 1-4, last season!

Ok, we had 3 away wins against them since, but still...! 

On that day they had Dembele and McCormack to rip us apart - Not now !!

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

I've not changed my tune in the slightest actually Dr Balls.

I said all along LJ is not unsackable and I have no personal interest in his success as a manager. I even said should we lose on Saturday I'll and pull the trigger myself.

It is simply my opinion that firing managers every year is not a good thing and therefore you give your manager every available chance, which means sticking by them through the rough and the smooth. Even after our record run of defeats we still weren't in the relegation zone, yet many reacted like we were 6 points adrift at the very bottom. We've invested in the team and they need to settle and the right things are going on behind the scenes to justify LJ being given more time. In my opinion. It's a tough league and a phrase that has been used for many years by many managers is 'small margins' - proved by the fact that 5 points separate 8 teams in the middle/bottom end of the table.

Despite what the OTIB trolls write, I'm not a happy clappy LJ camper.  And as I wrote in my previous post, we need a minimum of a point a game from the next 5.

If we get 6 points from these five games I reckon we'll have done well. Anything else is a bonus.

I agree with alessandro that chopping and changing managers (or coaches!) is ludicrous. However, if the coach is not the right guy then action needs to be taken.

I don't think LJ will be fired. It's now too late. So I HOPE that Pembo gets more involved and LJ listens to him, because from the stuff I've read on the forums the team isn't set up properly. My brother is a season ticket holder and I won't repeat what he said about the first 45 minutes against Rotherham. It wasn't very polite, the worst EVER, was the sum of it.

One of our biggest hurdles is to get this team to believe that they can win against these other teams. We have to be incisive, quick and positive in possession. Compact, well organised and disciplined in defence. 

Oh and unless it's a back three, Flint isn't in the team.

Archived