IGNORED

The squad - wages

leylandsroad

Looking at the size of the squad I can only imagine how much the wage bill must be. How can any team have 7 senior players on the bench plus the likes of smith, 0neil, magnusson, wilbraham, engvall, Matthews, Reid, O'Leary etc not even on the bench. 

The wage bill must be astronomical, the saying quality not quantity should be address. Lee Johnson has too many good players, has no idea of his best team and needs to coach the players at his disposal rather than keep buying....

I'm not having a go, however wilbraham, Abraham, Taylor, engvall, Duric, tomlin and Patterson is 7 forwards. 

Then central midfield, O'Neil, pack, hegler, brownhill, Reid and Bryant is 6 who can play there! None of those are stand outs and we'd all pick a different 2 or 3 every week. 

The problem areas are full backs goldbourne, Matthews and little just not good enough. 

So release / sell Reid, engvall and Matthews and sign 2 full backs. 

5 minutes ago, leylandsroad said:

I'm not having a go, however wilbraham, Abraham, Taylor, engvall, Duric, tomlin and Patterson is 7 forwards. 

Then central midfield, O'Neil, pack, hegler, brownhill, Reid and Bryant is 6 who can play there! None of those are stand outs and we'd all pick a different 2 or 3 every week. 

The problem areas are full backs goldbourne, Matthews and little just not good enough. 

We need 7 forwards as we need to pick one to play up front each match

Was told today that our German keeper was on £32k a week at his parent club, and we're paying 75% of this during the loan period. £24k a week! Please someone tell me that I've been misinformed. Was also told that Taylor is being paid in the region of £14k a week, is this even believable?

We have signed mainly young up and coming players to avoid this exact problem. SL got seriously burned with the David James/Jody Morris debacle.

I would doubt our current wage bill is an issue for this Division, and having a larger squad of our "own players" has avoided the expensive loan fees and wages of other teams players we were borrowing in huge numbers.

1 minute ago, nimrod said:

Was told today that our German keeper was on £32k a week at his parent club, and we're paying 75% of this during the loan period. £24k a week! Please someone tell me that I've been misinformed. Was also told that Taylor is being paid in the region of £14k a week, is this even believable?

I would doubt that highly. Seems way to high for us. Especially when the 5 pillars theory is meant to be at the core of the club. 

Same old, same old

We will be relegated with an inflated squad and a heavy wage bill, with few other clubs rushing in to buy.  It all sounds so familiar.  When will the club ever learn, buy on the up not on the down, and buy fewer and better quality.  How the u 23s will get a look in before they decide to move elsewhere is anyone's guess.  Morrell  and Kelly in particular must be browned off, possibly Zak too.  And what of those out on loan, the likes of Garita, De Girolamo, Smith etc etc ?

The five pillars are certainly tottering

3 minutes ago, nimrod said:

Struggle to believe we are paying the goalie that much and those are massive wages for the German league. Taylor might be a bit high also.

5 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Tomlin and O'Neil for sure on more than that.

Can't rembered who maybe Aaron , thinks o'neil is on £18,000 a week?! 

I haven't got a clue but I'm sure it's all being kept in budget unlike last time when we were paying big money on long contracts.

6 minutes ago, bris red said:

No way is the German keeper on that. Neither would taylor be on 14k. 

They both sound high but the average Bundesliga wage is £20k per week and Giefer is no. 2 at one of the biggest clubs in Germany, so it might not actually be that far fetched. He is rated highly over there. Turned down Bayern last season.

Let's pluck random figures out the air and quote them as players wages..!

"I heard that..." means nothing. If someone tells you that Matty Taylor is on £14k per week, the only thing that tells you is that the person you were talking too is full of shite. 

Why don't people engage their brains when people talk utter tosh to them..?! 

Really? Not sure I agree with this. In fact a few injuries in one or two areas and we are very bare:

Here is a rough chart to show you we actually have the 7th smallest squad in the league with 29, average being 35. (The number is how many players currently have a squad number at each club and may include some youth players who have had a squad number)

I'm not going to say what has already been said in this thread, but it's open season at the board and LJ. So much criticism and people jump on the band wagon - I hope this chart with numbers, not opinions shows that the OP is not entirely right. You make your own minds up. 

graph-page-001.jpg

1 hour ago, leylandsroad said:

But Matthews is good enough, we all saw it last season.

The question is "why is he not good enough this season???"

1 hour ago, BCFCGav said:

Hopefully not too dumb a question; 5 pillars theory? 

Few years ago after the last relegation SL came out saying we need to operate the football club in a new way. The 5 pillars created were a philosophy we should follow ranging from recruitment and academy to wages etc. I'll have a look tomorrow and find the full list of them. 

1 hour ago, BCFCGav said:

Hopefully not too dumb a question; 5 pillars theory? 

http://mobile.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/20130206-lansdownfivepillars-641677.aspx

1. Community 

2. Academy development 

3. Player recruitment and wages (looked to sign u25s and not pay high wages) 

4. Finically prudent 

5. Develop facilities 

1 hour ago, Lucan said:

That first part doesn't seem true

Giefer 26

O'Neill 33

Brownhill 21

Tomlin 28

O'Dowda 21

Taylor 26

Golbourne 28

Engvall 20

Paterson 25

Djuric 26

Magnuson 23

Matthews 25

Hegeler 29

Giefer 26

Wright 24

A real mix of ages.  

Tammy 19

Lucic 20

Moore 19

All conveniently excluded, and Giefer listed twice.

So 10 players 25 or under, 6 that are 26 or over.

Of those 1 of the u25s is a loanee, while 1 of the older ones is as well.

So 9 who are 25 or under, and 5 who aren't, but then this doesn't include the likes of McCoulsky who played against Hull, or Jonny Smith out on loan. Diego DiGirolamo, is another who was very close to the first team before going on loan.

So 12 compared to 5.

A sizeable difference.

Golbourne wasn't a LJ signing.

The squad is about 26 strong with mostly young players. I'll make a guess that the average is around £6,000 to £7,000 a week so a total players wage bill of approx £10 million per annum.

Probably not a problem this season with FFP but if we go down we revert to SCMP and only allowed to spend 60% of total revenue on players wages.

We can probably calculate gate receipts but how does anyone know how much revenue from sponsorship, matchday income on refreshments, we are likely to have.

1 hour ago, Lucan said:

That first part doesn't seem true

Giefer 26

O'Neill 33

Brownhill 21

Tomlin 28

O'Dowda 21

Taylor 26

Golbourne 28

Engvall 20

Paterson 25

Djuric 26

Magnuson 23

Matthews 25

Hegeler 29

Giefer 26

Wright 24

A real mix of ages.  

1 hour ago, candygram for mongo said:

But Matthews is good enough, we all saw it last season.

The question is "why is he not good enough this season???"

Hard to think Matthews is only 25 - he seems to be messing up his own career quite early.

1 minute ago, Lucan said:

Who said anything about Golbourne being an LJ signing?

Tammy is a loan signing with zero chance of being permanent

i didn't include any of the later ones because they aren't first team

Now untwist your panties 

So what chance do we have in signing Matthews, a player who has shown no interest in being here, or Giefer, a player who turned down Bayern Munich?

Nice try attempting to create an excuse, but all you've done is produced a double standard.

Nothing twisted here, just coming out with the facts.

Lucic, Moore, and McCoulsky have all featured in the first team this season.

I know you hate it when the facts say the opposite of what you're trying to say, I'm sure you will resort to ignoring that, changing the topic and making personal comments, just like last time (and the time before).

3 minutes ago, Lucan said:

I have literally no idea what you are talking about.... Have you taken your meds today?

Perhaps you need to find a new crush... I just don't love you the way you do me...

Point proven straight away.

I assure you I don't "have a crush on you". I remember the last time we "debated" (well, you ignored the truth and tried to change topic a lot so hard to call it a debate really) as you resorted to personal comments and coming across in a very rude manner.

Archived