IGNORED

Netflix / Amazon

chowie

Had these services for years but never really watched much on them apart from the obvious like Breaking Bad and Narcos.

Recently watched and enjoyed Stranger Things (did not think it was my kind of thing) and now in the middle of Making a Murderer and liking that.

There are probably some gems that we / some of us do not get to hear about, so what's your recommendations?

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency ;  was fun, it's a little strange the first 2-3 episodes but becomes (and ends) a fun watch.

Black mirror ;   If you like to have the experience of watching things that make you feel uncomfortable and challenge some of your perceptions on things is good watch.

The Expanse ;  A future set in space where personal stories, politics and war combine to make a really entertaining show.

The OA ;  only just watched the first couple, looks promising

A Series of unfortunate events ; it took a risk and is true to the books, meaning it's something visually you will love or hate - but is fun / depressing / sad (the title does warn you) - really enjoyed this as it's different

The Man in the High Castle, on Amazon. Superb !

The U.S. & Britain were defeated by Germany & Japan in the late 1940's. The Germans nuked Washington D.C. to force the surrender. The Germans occupied the East coast, and around 3/4 of the U.S. It was agreed that Japan would take the west coast, Hawaii & Alaska.

The plot centres around the resistance to both regimes, as they go about conquering the world and enslaving all peoples.

Germany & Japan begin to argue, the Germans have the A bomb, of course, the Japanese don't .

Looking forward to series 3 later this year.

2 hours ago, KURTZ said:

Vikings - Amazon

Sneaky Pete - Amazon

Daredevil - Netflix

Jessica Jones - Netflix

Loved how they introduced the villain (D.Tennant) at first his powers were kind of like... meh, then you get to see the full extent of what you can do with it and it's really terrifying. Luke Cage very similar to J.Jones (and oviosuly crossovers) and Iron Fist (starts March) are also hitting Netflix

If anyone likes rap / hip hop there is a cool 3/4 part 'history of' documentary on Netflix that I really enjoyed. I think they put it on to go with the fictional show 'the get down' which is Baz Lurhman Netflix original show. The storyline of that can be a bit corny, but it's a enjoyable watch just for all the money they have chucked into recreating late 70s bronx clothing and sets 

20 hours ago, internetjef said:

If anyone likes rap / hip hop there is a cool 3/4 part 'history of' documentary on Netflix that I really enjoyed. I think they put it on to go with the fictional show 'the get down' which is Baz Lurhman Netflix original show. The storyline of that can be a bit corny, but it's a enjoyable watch just for all the money they have chucked into recreating late 70s bronx clothing and sets 

Is Hip Hop Evolution the one you are thinking of? Must watch that, cheers for the heads up.

Going slightly off topic, and not personally attacking anyone, but I genuinely can't believe the amount of people that legitimately pay for stuff like Netflix & Amazon Prime when you have so many ways of streaming in HD/1080p for free these days.

Kodi is the best. Has all the series weeks before any provider.

As for recommendations, thoroughly suggest you watch the BBC historical drama The Last Kingdom. All about the English Saxons and Danes going at it for control of Britain. The final battle scene was superb and there's a new season planned for launch on BBC 2 in Spring.

Netflix - House of Cards is great.  I like all the superhero stuff - Daredevil, Luke Cage, Gotham.  The missus loved Suits.  Peaky Blinders is one we both like.  The Expanse if you like SciFi, and Black Mirror is interesting.

Amazon - Black Sails, Mr Robot.  The Man in the High Castle is supposed to be good but not watched that myself.

4 hours ago, SARJ said:

Going slightly off topic, and not personally attacking anyone, but I genuinely can't believe the amount of people that legitimately pay for stuff like Netflix & Amazon Prime when you have so many ways of streaming in HD/1080p for free these days.

Kodi is the best. Has all the series weeks before any provider.

As for recommendations, thoroughly suggest you watch the BBC historical drama The Last Kingdom. All about the English Saxons and Danes going at it for control of Britain. The final battle scene was superb and there's a new season planned for launch on BBC 2 in Spring.

When I last had a look I could find no decent 1080p streams on Kodi, everything seemed to buffer to low quality and pixellate and go up and down and so on.  Netflix costs peanuts (and comes in UHD now) and it doesn't involve you having to download and run arbitrary plugins on your device.  Amazon prime is worth it just for the free delivery, so it's not like they cost much.  It's people paying for SkyTV and line rental for phones I can't understand!

On 09/02/2017 at 12:24, internetjef said:

Yep that's the one. I found it really interesting. Worth a watch just to see some 80 year old rappers still rocking the same clothes as back in the day ha 

Watched all 4 episodes yesterday. Throughly enjoyed it. Thanks again for the recommendation.

Yeah new stuff didn't work well. Apparently part of the reason they shot it as character led episodes is because they can't get all the cast available at the same time any more due to their inidvidual success. Original 3 seasons are essential viewing though, they get better and better on rewatching also. By season 3 with all the 'in jokes' the gag rate must be about 1 joke every 10 seconds :laugh:

On 09/02/2017 at 17:49, Nibor said:

When I last had a look I could find no decent 1080p streams on Kodi, everything seemed to buffer to low quality and pixellate and go up and down and so on.  Netflix costs peanuts (and comes in UHD now) and it doesn't involve you having to download and run arbitrary plugins on your device.  Amazon prime is worth it just for the free delivery, so it's not like they cost much.  It's people paying for SkyTV and line rental for phones I can't understand!

Try zen,or salts on kodi mate,crystal clear for me

2 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Lots of great recommendations above.

The one thing I recommend everyone watches is Westworld. Stunning series.

It's by HBO, I watched it in the States, but I think you can get it from Amazon or itunes and is well worth buying. 

https://hbo.co.uk/westworld

Was a good series, though felt the first 2-3 episodes were unduly slow. Can't wait for the next series, wonder where it will be set.

HBO produce some great stuff, though Game of Thrones is still my favourite.

24 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Was a good series, though felt the first 2-3 episodes were unduly slow. Can't wait for the next series, wonder where it will be set.

HBO produce some great stuff, though Game of Thrones is still my favourite.

The way it ended, well it could go anywhere!

I think a main part of the enjoyment was about it was watching week by week and reading the discussions and predictions of how it will unfold in the gaps between shows each week and then being surprised and excited as it did unfold.

It's probably not so good binge viewed unless you know a bit about the structure from the start.

Archived