IGNORED

Flint - please give him a rest please.

southvillekiddy

34 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Okay mate but later in the week when the team are looking at what I saw in the highlights what are they thinking and what is LJ saying to them. (I bet what they don't say is "Flinty you were brilliant for 89 minutes") What I get a lot on here is that Flint is regularly the man of the match putting in a brilliant shift every game. But if you study the highlights you will see that he is principally to blame when the opposition score headed goals. he's 6 foot 5 and as an example yesterday he didn't attempt to head the two crosses away from which Derby scored and then he starts bollocking his team mates? So while he may be great for the majority of the game he is flawed as a defender at this level - the bloke who is supposed to be running our defence.

I'm not saying flints should or shouldn't be dropped but just don't use yesterday as a example if you weren't there as you can't judge naff all from 2minutes of highlights. Just my opinion .

3 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I think you should look closer to home for all 3 goals and in the direction of Golbourne simply awful.

Far to many goals have come from full back errors, i.e. Bad positioning, silly tackles and not tracking their man. Can't wait for Adam Matthew's to get back to fitness and hope he returns to form.  I would also put Magnuson in at Left Back. Little bit more solid at left back and not to attacking. 

7 minutes ago, Spoons said:

I'm not saying flints should or shouldn't be dropped but just don't use yesterday as a example if you weren't there as you can't judge naff all from 2minutes of highlights. Just my opinion .

Okay mate. But I say again Flinty may be like Gary Sprake - brilliant for the entire game until he let's in a soft goal that loses his team the game.

What we see in hindsight (which is what I got from the highlights) may be very different to how it seemed at the time. Will always love Flinty for what I saw him do for us  for us in League 1 in the flesh but my opinion is that he is not good enough for the championship.

37 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

He's very good but not at the crucial moments for us in defence.

By the way I bet I've been to lots more games that you and I bet my Dad's bigger than your Dad

Wow

by the way I go to every home game I will be at Leeds Tuesday and Newcastle 

what do I know about how we play

i bet you can write all you know on the the back of a postage stamp 

It is way to easy to get a cross in against our team and that doesn't just fall down to the full backs stopping the cross, to many times you see the full back with no support near him or the support just casually strolling back. Then also you see poor positioning by our central defender which means any decent delivery and we are in serious trouble.

38 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Firk me - a lot of elitist threads by the über fans that went yesterday not allowing opinions as they were not there - wtf is that about?

Being there or not is irrelevant - we concede every game - Flint is the ever present - there is some debate there whether you go to 1 game a season or 46.

This goes beyond 1 game where we shipped 3 goals albeit yesterday is also relevant if the colossus in the lead boots did not leave the ground on 2 occasions that led to 2 MORE goals - irrespective of the rest of his performance.

Flint has had a mixed season.  Early season he guided Magnüsson through.  He had a funny spell, Rotherham, Derby etc, seemed to come through it.  Then poor against Wednesday or Rotherham (I'm trying to remember, but I thought it was one of the worst displays from him).

As a centre back, there sometimes Little you can do with good crosses in.  I'm not trying to defend him, but their second goal, why was that his fault?  Ince has come in from nowhere, and not Flint's man.

The first goal, he won't be chuffed about, but Bent has given him the old Sheringham move - go to go near and then dart in behind.  It's clever, and makes Flint look bad.  It was a effin' 'elluva cross.  Look at our goals yesterday.  It's hard to defend good pacy balls in behind you.  You're just hoping the ball in is shit and you get it away, or it's too near the keeper. It was perfect though.

We do concede too many, but you can't just blame Flint.  Sometimes he's trying to gamble on covering soneone else's runner.  You have to look at why at 3-0, 3-1 we seem to be getting done and looking exposed, centre backs back pedalling their own 18 will always favour the onrushing striker.  See Pitman's goal over Xmas.  Taylor Moore will think he's done really well to track his run and be goal-side and just in front.  The ball is behind Brett who uses a bit of strength to somehow execute a great volley.  I know LJ supposedly had a go at Moore for that, but I think he was wrong.  LJ does seem to like picking out the young'uns for a bit of media criticism!

For me Flinty has left Little exposed many times this season and I agree with OP that he is at fault with both of the first two goals. Flint has been a colosuss for us and will be again but we have had Baker Maggs and Wright and still the fragility in defence. Its only my opinion but questions do need to be asked

21 minutes ago, Donkeeebles said:

I thought both Flint and Wright played very well yesterday.  I haven't seen the highlights but I'm dam sure there's not a centre back in the league who deals with EVERY ball into the box

First one the ball iin is fantastic, the run from ex-England, in form, striker Bent is great, but you still want Flint to do better.

Second goal, not his man, he's covering the low ball slid across the 6 yard line (actually good positioning), but the ball is stood up beyond him to Ince who is attacking the space.

Ultimately, most goals come somewhere between the edges of the 18 yard boxes up to 25 yards out.  Therefore it's fine to always blame the CBs isn't it :P

Archived