IGNORED

Print that,Lineker !

slartibartfast

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

To be fair, if we ever won the Prem i would mention it every third sentence 

Tbf, Jonathon Pearce always tries to squeeze a mention in of us when it is only fleetingly appropriate at times.

When the England Women's team were playing at AG, he used every opportunity to talk about City. :laugh:

Lineker should stay out of politics though, football and politics - recipe for disaster.

17 minutes ago, Fiale said:

I don't like him purely since he has decided to become political - fine, but when your talking about taxes, paying more for services etc whilst taking part in tax avoidance I have no time for you. Much prefer someone who is just honest and say "I pay as little as possible, deal with it" than try to hide it and complain about lack of Government funding.

Not necessarily true, unless you take everything the Daily Mail says as fact.

17 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It's been a number of papers ever since the "ingenious" scheme was uncovered. Gary has also never denied it, only saying "I have paid my taxes in full"   

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

He famously supports Leicester and they famously won the Premier League. It would be strangely artificial for him to pretend otherwise. As football fans it makes him much more relatable to see his obvious love for his club - just like we all love our own club. Playing the neutral would just be a silly and pointless pretence - unless he was outright hostile or disrespectful towards other clubs, which he isn't.  I actually think Lineker treads that fine line very well. Don't see the problem with him myself.

I also like the way he gets a dig in at Arsenal's expense when he is hosting HIGNFY :rofl2br:

33 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

And of course, the Rothermere family- those bastions of decency and champions of the ordinary people against the elites- have nothing at all murky about their tax arrangements do they?

Breathtaking hypocrisy that they should go after LIneker for that of all things but not at all surprising from that rag.

As someone who spent some time living in Leicester (my daughter was even born there) I can tell you that you won't find many, if any people there who have a bad word to say about him.

His family who owned a greengrocer market stall in the centre of town still live in the city and he played nearly half his career for his home town club. He was one of the few British players to have thrived playing overseas and was bright enough to bother learning the language. He and his wife also coped well with his son's leukaemia diagnosis and treatment.

And as for his Twitter feed, I like the fact that he is willing to stand up to the abuse and downright spite towards him from the Daily Mail (a paper that has a well-known history when it comes to being positive about fascists) and other right wing papers, all for displaying the kind of common decency most people used to associate with this country until that referendum last June.

By comparison Jonathan Pearce shamelessly name checks us every time he possibly can (witness live 3rd FA cup replay when Lincoln beat Ipswich), God only knows what he would be like if we ever won the Premier League against all the odds. Probably lose his voice for 6 months!!

7 hours ago, TinMan's left peg said:

This! If anyone can honestly say different then fair enough but I wouldn't believe you. Plus Lineker is one of England's finest, how can people dislike him?! 

well I don't like his political views, he is a typical lives in an ivory tower twit who has no idea about real life for ordinary people, his views on the eu immigration and such like show he is out of touch just because they don't have any effect on him.

12 hours ago, Fiale said:

I don't like him purely since he has decided to become political - fine, but when your talking about taxes, paying more for services etc whilst taking part in tax avoidance I have no time for you. Much prefer someone who is just honest and say "I pay as little as possible, deal with it" than try to hide it and complain about lack of Government funding.

Yeah Lineker is paid by a corporation that's meant to be impartial, and yet he's always coming up with political opinions. Jars a bit

Just now, AshtonGreat said:

Yeah Linker is paid by a corporation that's meant to be impartial, and yet he's always coming up with political opinions. Jars a bit

Not whilst he's on MOTD though. Just because you work for the BBC doesn't mean you can't express opinions on your own personal accounts. If he was doing it on live TV it's a bit different, but it's fine on his own personal Twitter.

I don't particularly like his virtue signalling, but he's allowed to express those opinions on his own personal channels as long as it doesn't have an impact on his MOTD work.

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not whilst he's on MOTD though. Just because you work for the BBC doesn't mean you can't express opinions on your own personal accounts. If he was doing it on live TV it's a bit different, but it's fine on his own personal Twitter.

I don't particularly like his virtue signalling, but he's allowed to express those opinions on his own personal channels as long as it doesn't have an impact on his MOTD work.

Fair point. I still think he's a bit of a numpty

5 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

JK Rowling is another one. Just because you've written some children's books doesn't make you the spokesperson for the world

The way I see it is why not use your fame and respect from others to channel support for something you believe in and try to make a positive influence on the world? I have a lot of time for Lineker as he does just that. Anyone who riles up the right wing gutter press is alright in my book.

17 hours ago, Fiale said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/wikipedia-editors-ban-daily-mail-source-citation-unreliable-mail-online-a7570856.html

15 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

That bloke is a wildly overpaid grinning ****. If Leicester go down it will be a result if it upsets him. 

Really?  You're a football supporter complaining about people being overpaid?  I doubt in his career that Lineker has made a fraction of what some pretty ordinary players are getting these days.  I've always liked the bloke.  Great player, loves the game, seems pretty fair to me with his comments.  Can't understand why anyone would feel so negative about him.  Oh well, seems to be the way of the world I suppose. 

11 hours ago, pillred said:

well I don't like his political views, he is a typical lives in an ivory tower twit who has no idea about real life for ordinary people, his views on the eu immigration and such like show he is out of touch just because they don't have any effect on him.

So you mean that his views are different to yours, then?

11 hours ago, pillred said:

He cares about people, nothing wrong with that in my book.

9 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

So you mean that his views are different to yours, then?

yes very! does not make them wrong, just think what happens jobs wages school places  waiting times rents housing shortage etc don't really have any effect on him as he is protected from the reality of it, that's just my opinion, he has thinly disguised contempt for anyone that does not share his views 

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

More a point I think for me anyway- regardless of views right or left, he should be above it all publicly as he works for BBC. Doesn't just work for them but a high profile figure for them too.

Whether right, left, centre whatever- he should be above all that, publicly at least anyway.

Hmm I don't think that's correct. It's more important the likes of Dimbleby, Andrew Neil and Huw Edwards steer clear of being visibly partial as they present news/current affairs stuff. 

MOTD isn't a political programme and as long as it doesn't change how he presents the show there's no problem. The BBC would tell him not to if there was an impartiality issue. 

19 minutes ago, pillred said:

yes very! does not make them wrong, just think what happens jobs wages school places  waiting times rents housing shortage etc don't really have any effect on him as he is protected from the reality of it, that's just my opinion, he has thinly disguised contempt for anyone that does not share his views 

Eh? So no-one is allowed an opinion on anything that doesn't affect them directly? I can't say the war in Syria is a bad thing because I'm not getting bombed?

You haven't even bothered to thinly disguise your contempt for Lineker or his views, so I would be careful on that high horse if I was you!

10 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Eh? So no-one is allowed an opinion on anything that doesn't affect them directly? I can't say the war in Syria is a bad thing because I'm not getting bombed?

You haven't even bothered to thinly disguise your contempt for Lineker or his views, so I would be careful on that high horse if I was you!

thanks the view is pretty good up here

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Hmm I don't think that's correct. It's more important the likes of Dimbleby, Andrew Neil and Huw Edwards steer clear of being visibly partial as they present news/current affairs stuff. 

MOTD isn't a political programme and as long as it doesn't change how he presents the show there's no problem. The BBC would tell him not to if there was an impartiality issue. 

Is always a thorny issue I think, but to me if in doubt keep quiet at least publicly. Same goes for the tough world of social media and employees of a company- if in doubt, say nothing is always easiest!

Archived