IGNORED

Brownhill over Pack

RT's Vaseline Tub

After the lethargic showing against Rotherham we were much energised yesterday with Brownhill in to partner Hegeler over Pack who lacks the tenacity and drive I feel.

Simce Wolves/Ipswich away Josh has been our most improved and consistent performer and yesterday we saw what a complete performance by him can do to the Team and our Results moving on (probably only to be rested at Leeds away by LJ-No to that).

Also playing 2 upfront helps with both natural goalscorers.

7 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

Totally agree and he was excellent in the first half... but he faded badly in the second half and could not get on the ball. Johnson should have brought on Pack to help us be more solid... 

He tends to fade in games. He seems a 65-70 minute player at this level with the amount of work he does. I wasn't there yesterday but I've seen this before at wolves and against Reading. Nothing against him as he leaves it all on the pitch and he's been a big reason why I'd like to see LJ stay. If our young players can all improve and be as consistent as Brownhill then the money we've invested in them will double or more plus we'll get quality on the pitch for cheap(compared to the rest of the division). 

3 minutes ago, redpole said:

I'm sorry I don't see it with Brownhill, yes he is full of energy but doesn't track his man and gets caught on ball to easy. Rather see Gary O'Neil and Heggler all day long if we are playing 442, the energy can come from width. 

There are doubts about Brownhill IMO as well(doesn't get stuck in at all) but I think at this stage he offers more than GON. GON would be a perfect option off the bench to see out games. He hasn't really contributed since October either. He's aging and can't do it for 90 minutes consistently. It's different to Wilbraham because midfield in this league is so demanding. 

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

There are doubts about Brownhill IMO as well(doesn't get stuck in at all) but I think at this stage he offers more than GON. GON would be a perfect option off the bench to see out games. He hasn't really contributed since October either. He's aging and can't do it for 90 minutes consistently. It's different to Wilbraham because midfield in this league is so demanding. 

My views exactly, he`s a shadow of the player he was at the start of the season and sometimes looks to me that he`s just going through the motions. I actually found myself thinking `Oh no` when he came on at home to Wednesday. He`s certainly not the player we signed, has he not been fully fit, who knows?

2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

My views exactly, he`s a shadow of the player he was at the start of the season and sometimes looks to me that he`s just going through the motions. I actually found myself thinking `Oh no` when he came on at home to Wednesday. He`s certainly not the player we signed, has he not been fully fit, who knows?

I thought he come on and done what we wanted him to do and that cross field pass he done was pass of the match. I think he offers so much when he's out there. Always wants the ball and he pass and moves something most of our midfield doesn't do.  Just wish he could get a run of games rather than a stop start    Run. CM should have 2/3 regular players in there to get a partnership going rather than 7/8 partnerships this season.  This is where LJ has gone wrong this season with squad rotation. 

2 minutes ago, redpole said:

I thought he come on and done what we wanted him to do and that cross field pass he done was pass of the match. I think he offers so much when he's out there. Always wants the ball and he pass and moves something most of our midfield doesn't do.  Just wish he could get a run of games rather than a stop start    Run. CM should have 2/3 regular players in there to get a partnership going rather than 7/8 partnerships this season.  This is where LJ has gone wrong this season with squad rotation. 

Agree re. the settled team and this is perhaps why GON looks out of sorts (to me anyway) and seems to struggle to get up to the speed of the game. It must be hard to come on and immediately be part of a team when you perhaps haven`t played for five games. It might be different if we were boringly mid table but at the moment I`d take Pack`s energy over GON`s undoubted skill for the last twenty or so.

All about opinions - great isn`t it?

I like Pack, but I can't see him and Hegeler as a pair.  For me it has to be Hegeler or Pack, with O'Neill, Smith or Brownhill.  O'Neill was a revelation in the first weeks of the season and having him back fully fit would be a major boost.  No doubt in my mind that the injuries to him and Smith have been the biggest problem this season.

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I like Pack, but I can't see him and Hegeler as a pair.  For me it has to be Hegeler or Pack, with O'Neill, Smith or Brownhill.  O'Neill was a revelation in the first weeks of the season and having him back fully fit would be a major boost.  No doubt in my mind that the injuries to him and Smith have been the biggest problem this season.

Spot on IMO. I said, last week, that Hegeler and Marlon are too similar and naturally defensive, hence it didn't work. They're both fine players but we need someone with a more positive persona beside one or the other. JB provides both drive and pace in the middle of the park and his fitness will improve with games. The dilemma, for me, is who replaces him when he, naturally, fades. Marlon is too similar to Jens, Tommo provides little if any defensive cover, Korey is a right off for this season after his injury plagued summer leaving us with GON , Bobby Reid or a youngster like Dowling.

Like TDP, I think it's Jens or Marlon with JB, GON or Bobby TBH.

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

That's funny. I see Pack and Hegeler fitting together quite nicely.

Forget the Rotherham game.

1 minute ago, Libertine1 said:

Sadly I think he'll be let go. Which would be a shame but understandable.

Unless we don't bring another in.

Just need him to perform at a level we know he can and he should be in the team.....i would be even tempted to play him at RB, think he played there for Norwich for a while

For those yesterday did Jens and Josh play as two holders or two central midfielders who pushed up when we had the ball?  That is crucial to us imposing ourselves on the game and not getting deep.  That was what happened with Pack and Hegeler in first 45 v Rotherham.

Josh may need to run his socks off for 60-70 minutes whilst he gets his legs at this level in a two.  It's not fitness, it's knowing how to manage your runs to be able to keep going for 90.

1 hour ago, Libertine1 said:

That's funny. I see Pack and Hegeler fitting together quite nicely.

Forget the Rotherham game.

No Rotherham game showed that Hegeler & Pack really are too similar in central midfield. At one point they both went for the same header!

If they are all fit, Hegeler & Brownhill to start, with Brownhill substituted by GON after 60-65 mins. Means we have experience at the end of the game when we appear to need it most.

11 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

No Rotherham game showed that Hegeler & Pack really are too similar in central midfield. At one point they both went for the same header!

If they are all fit, Hegeler & Brownhill to start, with Brownhill substituted by GON after 60-65 mins. Means we have experience at the end of the game when we appear to need it most.

Disagree. Depends on how the team is set up. It's ok to play with Hegeler and Pack if we have width.

Basically, don't write that midfield pairing off. Different players for different needs.

17 hours ago, MarkRed! said:

Totally agree and he was excellent in the first half... but he faded badly in the second half and could not get on the ball. Johnson should have brought on Pack to help us be more solid... 

Johnson needs to play a settled team. 3.0 up did the trick but continued to play openly which was a massive mistake and clear for everyone to see. The guy just can't get it right. Wonder what on earth his coaches are advising him. I do question if JP and DH are at the right level. 

Archived