IGNORED

Team selection - A or B; which is best?

headhunter

Never before has a City manager been able to go out and splash the cash like LJ.

Does he have an embarrassment of riches or is it mediocrity?

I've come up with two line ups from within the current squad which assumes no injuries and players are recalled from loans.

How would Team A fare against Team B?

Team  A [4-4-2] GEIFFER / MATTHEWS, FLINT, MAGNUSSON, BRYAN / REID, SMITH, O'NEILL, O'DOWDA / DJURIC, TAYLOR

Team B [4-3-1-2] FIELDING / BROWNHILL ,WRIGHT, MOORE, GOLBOURNE / HEGELER, PACK, COTTERILL / TOMLIN / ENGVALL, ABRAHAM

A high-scoring draw would be my prediction!

Either of those line ups IF properly managed IMHO would not lose 8 in a row, win one in eleven or throw away a 3-goal lead [ pick whichever stick you want to beat LJ with!]

Where our transfer activity is flawed, again IMHO, is that instead of signing 16 players with an average weekly wage estimate of £10k maybe it would have been better to sign 8 quality players on an average weekly wage of £20k - costs the same doesn't it. Squad would be slimmed down a lot but then plug gaps for injuries and suspensions with academy players - that's what it is there for surely??? 

Who remembers George Dowling coming on for 30 mins in the last home game of the season. Didn't look out of place to me did he and now a million miles away from 1st team selection. How must he and others like him feel?

Well... The formation debate has been had all season. Taylor and Abraham were dangerous all game at Derby and they linked the play superbly. I think the way forward will be 442 with perhaps little coming out for Matthews. Taylor should have scored a couple and was a pest all game. He created space for Abraham and I have to say we looked so good... If we can sort out the defensive frailties we can do well...

11 hours ago, MarkRed! said:

If we can sort out the defensive frailties we can do well...

I think the defensive frailties are due to the lack of quality in midfield.

I was enthused by the signing of O'Neill with his record of being a part of 3 [?] teams promoted from the Championship. He's been a big disappointment when I thought he would provide the leadership everyone says we are missing.

Archived