IGNORED

Masterchef The Professionals - The Analogy

Dr Balls

Just watching MOTD2 and Swansea beating Leicester. Paul Clement now achieved 4 wins out of 6 games since he took over.

Clearly all that time as a young Assistant Manager for many years under many of the most famous and successful coaches and managers in Europe has rubbed off on him, and means that he now appears to be the finished article as a football coach and manager. Goodness only knows what happened at Derby last season, but it strikes me that his dismissal there was more about the club than him, as they were in the playoff positions at the time.

So for the analogy in the title. If you have ever watched Masterchef the Professionals in the opening rounds, you will find some junior sous chefs who have worked in some of the best restaurants in the country where they have learnt all the skills, up against self taught guys running their own kitchen. And it's pretty clear that the former group, who have had a proper apprenticeship know what they are doing, while those who have taught themselves are a bit clueless, especially when they are presented with challenges outside their narrow comfort zone.

Wagner at Huddersfield is another example of this type of coach who has worked with a successful European manager for a period and obviously picked up some skills, as to a lesser extent is Karanka at Middlesbrough who certainly learnt from Mourinho how stop the opposition from scoring. 

Does anyone on here think that we would ever go that route in the future? I would like to think so as our recruitment has obviously taken a wider perspective in the past couple of seasons, but past experience of sppointing managers suggests that as a club we don't necessarily have that level of ambition or foresight....

7 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

I don't think you can really compare working under GJ for a few seasons with working with Mourinho, Ancellotti, Klopp etc.

Anyway I will raise you Pembo...

Couldn't have been at Palace for 5 years under half a dozen managers for nothing

7 minutes ago, Matty Taylor [BCFC] said:

Couldn't have been at Palace for 5 years under half a dozen managers for nothing

Ok. Fair play. But that wasn't when we appointed Millen.

You could say the same thing about Joe Jordan, given his recent experience, but it's clear that he eventually preferred playing the assistant role rather than being the main man.

Still doesn't deflect from my original post and the benefits of a proper apprenticeship working with the very best.

1 minute ago, Dr Balls said:

Ok. Fair play. But that wasn't when we appointed Millen.

You could say the same thing about Joe Jordan, given his recent experience, but it's clear that he eventually preferred playing the assistant role rather than being the main man.

Still doesn't deflect from my original post and the benefits of a proper apprenticeship working with the very best.

I didn't mean when we appointed Millen, my bad I should've explained properly. I meant Millen now, but only even suggested him as we have obvious ties.

Archived