IGNORED

Optimistically looking forward

Jerseybean

Although we face many uncertainties one thing is for sure...... on (or before) the afternoon of May 7th our league for next season will be decided. Which got me thinking about the relatively near future. 

Personally I think we will be playing Championship football next season. So assuming we are competing in the Championship what do you think we need to focus on in order to progress? I do realise it will only be a nano-second before 'sack LJ' is suggested, so please let's not go there with this particular thread.

Look forward to other's thoughts, my ten priorities would be:

(1) Sign Geifer on a permanent basis
(2) Ditto Cotterill
(3) Either secure Tammy for a further loan period, or if this is not possible, invest in a proven    /experienced forward
(4) Return Matthews to Sunderland
(5) Sell Tomlin
(6) Ditto Little
(7) Ditto Wilbs
(8) Strengthen both full back positions
(9) Buy a proven combative / ball winning midfielder 
(10) Reduce the cost of season tickets, right now, for next season by 10% as a token thanks to loyal supporters 

1. No, an area for serious investment depending on league

2. Yes

3. No chance he'll be here next season so a purchase or new loan required

4. Yes

5. Depends on the manager and their thoughts, also division, can't see Mr Tomlin fancying a season in div 3!

6-9. Yes

10. 20% for early birds

It really is difficult to discuss without mentioning, ironically, the  massive elephant in the room.

36 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Although we face many uncertainties one thing is for sure...... on (or before) the afternoon of May 7th our league for next season will be decided. Which got me thinking about the relatively near future. 

Personally I think we will be playing Championship football next season. So assuming we are competing in the Championship what do you think we need to focus on in order to progress? I do realise it will only be a nano-second before 'sack LJ' is suggested, so please let's not go there with this particular thread.

(2) Ditto Cotterill
(3) Either secure Tammy for a further loan period, or if this is not possible, invest in a proven    /experienced forward
(5) Sell Tomlin
(6) Ditto Little
(7) Ditto Wilbs
(10) Reduce the cost of season tickets, right now, for next season by 10% as a token thanks to loyal supporters 

1) no, Lucic and O'Leary for me next season.

2) yes, I've christened him the 'new Wade'

3) unlikely that will happen, we will have 3 strikers, Djuric, Taylor and Engvall, possibly bring in one more a bit like Djuric

4) yes, sign Darikwa, (ok not that easy) or McLaughlin

5) yes, at a big loss though

6) out of contract

7) make coach

8) see 4 and 5 for RB, look at Bidwell at LB

9) use the rest of this season to get Korey fit, if he can get back to 15/16 form he'll be an asset.

10) no, wait

Full backs are way too low on your list and if we had say Ayling and Cunningham(I joke. At the time seemed they were second choice) we'd probably be comfortably mid table. I believe that anyway, we are below below average at those positions. 

I'd have Giefer. He looks like he's getting more comfortable. Coming to claim crosses and knows the type of hits he'll take doing so. Max is 19 and he'll need a league loan first. Lucic needs time in England before I can judge. I'd take Cotterill as well. He's our best winger and even if we signed two better he'd be a great option off the bench. 

Wilbs and Little are OOC. Think they'll be gone though if Wilbs wanted an extra year I'd give it to him. Tomlin I think would be wise to move and I'd move on GON as well. GON I just think doesn't have the legs for the league anymore. Tomlin just doesn't fit the squad. I don't know if we'd reap his rewards more next season(I think we'd be a better team). 

Obviously, a top level forward is a must. I don't think Tammy is an option next year. I'd like to see us spend big on a striker whether that be the wages necessary or a fee. I don't mind my attackers foreign so I don't mind if we look to Europe for a 4-5m talent. Ball winning midfielder I would rather be from the English leagues. 

1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

(2) Ditto Cotterill
(5) Sell Tomlin
(6) Ditto Little
(7) Ditto Wilbs

Pretty much had the same thoughts last night. 

The jury is still out on Giefer for me but a GK, ST, winger and 2 x fullbacks are a MUST. I think Hegeler can fulfill the CM role and Brownhill will improve 

1 hour ago, RumRed said:

1. No, an area for serious investment depending on league

2. Yes

3. No chance he'll be here next season so a purchase or new loan required

4. Yes

5. Depends on the manager and their thoughts, also division, can't see Mr Tomlin fancying a season in div 3!

6-9. Yes

10. 20% for early birds

It really is difficult to discuss without mentioning, ironically, the  massive elephant in the room.

Agree totally with all of this.

Think I have finally worked out the reason behind all the frantic buying of 'ones for the future'

The future is nearer than we think.  They will form the bulk of next year's division 3 team. The club will hope to recoup fees paid for the first team squad that failed to keep us up.

Plus the old underlying reason dating back to the '50s that this club is happiest when in top half of Third Division.

So depressed.  Will never again even half believe the pr spin that we are aiming for Premiership.  It makes the inevitable disappointment even more difficult to bear

2 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

(2) Ditto Cotterill
(5) Sell Tomlin
(6) Ditto Little
(7) Ditto Wilbs

Pretty much agree. For me, sign Cotterell and strengthen the two full back positions would be top two.

And I'd certainly do 8 before 4 and 6: we don't want to make that mistake again!

I actually think losing Tammy (which I suspect is inevitable) might work for us. I think Djuric and Taylor could make a decent front two, and give us greater mobility and a more effective target man. 

Season tickets: a decent early bird for existing ST holders to renew.

3 hours ago, italian dave said:

Pretty much agree. For me, sign Cotterell and strengthen the two full back positions would be top two.

And I'd certainly do 8 before 4 and 6: we don't want to make that mistake again!

I actually think losing Tammy (which I suspect is inevitable) might work for us. I think Djuric and Taylor could make a decent front two, and give us greater mobility and a more effective target man. 

Season tickets: a decent early bird for existing ST holders to renew.

If we are league 1 it will have to be very decent.

45 minutes ago, Spike said:

:grr:

What's wrong with that? If he wants to retire as a player, it would be good of us to offer him a role here - he seems the type to want to stay in football. Not necessarily first team, even with the u18s or something to begin with.

He might prefer to keep on playing though, I think he'd be in demand especially with all the lower league clubs around Manchester.

1. 5 or 6 signings. It's worrying that we've signed so many players but we're still so far off. Two full backs, a left sided centre back, a striker, a keeper (not FG he's rubbish) and hopefully get Cotterill in on a permanent (if his current form continues)

2. Not quite sure who's out of contract in the summer, believe it's only Little and Wilbraham, so I'd move both of these on. 

3. Can only agree with above about rewarding loyalty with cheaper season tickets. Perhaps even offer a Huddersfield like scheme where they're dirt cheap and pack the stadium out every week. Worked wonders for them.

4. Sort it out so people can buy tickets at the ground on non match days. 

5. Get a proper fans liaison officer in place, somebody who will challenge the club on decisions. 

Archived