IGNORED

Kong looking pretty decent

Fiale

Honestly can't remember the last time I went to the cinema, mostly because, like football, nowadays cinema going ain't what it used to be, the classy art deco auditoriums, polished brass and marble, uniformed commissionaires, sense of 'going out somewhere nice' the 'b movie' supporting the main feature film.... replaced by plastic multi 'studio' cinemas that resemble large TV rooms with mega too loud sound systems .. Urgghh no thanks.

Must admit though, (and I'm not a fan of overused CGI either by the way) that the trailer for Kong might just tempt me into trying the World of 21st Century British cinema going... Kong does look pretty good and if I'm gonna see it I reckon it is crying out for the 'big screen' treatment... 

Which is the best authentic 'big screen' cinema in Bristol nowadays?  I'm not up for sitting in a large glorified living room type environment.. If I return to the cinema I wanna go to a relatively good 'un. :) 

(PS.. I'm not a miserable moaning old barsteward btw.. despite the impression this post might give... I dont yearn for the good old days all the time, I dont, I'm not bloody grumpy, I aint old either, I'm Not!!  ... you bleeding' youngsters nowadays with yer designer this and designer that, you don't know nothing, dont know your born, with yer crap music and stupid game systems, make me sick it does, what's wrong with the lot of ya? Get yerself a football get out and have a kickabout.. do a bit of apple scrumping or summut .. ffs in my day we didn't behave like you lot we grew up with respect for our elders.. you little shits !!  bloody McDonald's, we had real cafés, the only thing wimpy about us was our Wimpy Bars.. you lot are soft as shite,..... ahhh  **** it .. 'nurse! ..NURSE!!! where are you?, bring me a bedpan quick!!)

Kong - reckon I might give it a go. :) 

6 hours ago, internetjef said:

Hello Whistle. If you are looking to have a bit of a 'night out' at a cinema then the Everyman cinema on Whiteladies could be good shout for you. It's not cheap but definitely feels a bit more glam than a lot of the others which are much more uniform. 

Yeah the good old ABC Whiteladies.... so pleased to hear after years of uncertainty that it has been resurrected and reborn as a cinema once again...(unbelievable Jef :thumbsup:) looks pretty plush as the Everyman too.. that'll do for me, can't wait to buy a 'tub' with nuts from the LyonsMaid lady and a Kio-Ora with a straw! ..  cheers. :) 

Everyman-resized.jpg

TBH I kinda like the new cinemas, wide comfy seats with lots of leg room.  I go to Cineworld in Hengrove park, park right outside, and I go during the day - most times I have the whole place to myself, at worst there are just a few people. Some good films coming out this year, Dunkirk, Blade Runner 2049, War for the planet of the Apes, Murder on the Orient Express (love my Agatha) a few super hero movies and the one I really am looking forward to (as I watched a lot of it in y "yuth") Ghost in the Shell. 

10 hours ago, Fiale said:

TBH I kinda like the new cinemas, wide comfy seats with lots of leg room.  I go to Cineworld in Hengrove park, park right outside, and I go during the day - most times I have the whole place to myself, at worst there are just a few people. Some good films coming out this year, Dunkirk, Blade Runner 2049, War for the planet of the Apes, Murder on the Orient Express (love my Agatha) a few super hero movies and the one I really am looking forward to (as I watched a lot of it in y "yuth") Ghost in the Shell. 

Thinking of old Bristol area cinemas... the phrase 'The Good, The Bad & The Ugly'  could just as easily been a description of them as it was the title of a famous film..

Mostly long gone now .... we had probably dozens of 'em all over town.. from the Gaumont, Odeon ABCWhiteladies.. (The Good) ... through to the Charlton at Keynsham (declined into fleapit status for years before closing) and everything in between... The Kings old market, Park Cinema st george, the Gaiety knowle, Vandyke, Globe Lawrence hill, Concord (can't remember original name of it Eastville) ABC (I think? Bedminster) another at Winterstoke road of course... theyre almost countless, all had their own characters, ie Good Bad Ugly ... theres gotta be a list of them somewhere, Staple Hill had one (Regal?) .. Kingswood had one, they were everywhere..  Some you dressed up wearing a 'bit of tidy' for... others you definitely dressed down for!!! :laugh:.

On 19/02/2017 at 21:32, WhistleHappy said:

Yeah the good old ABC Whiteladies.... so pleased to hear after years of uncertainty that it has been resurrected and reborn as a cinema once again...(unbelievable Jef :thumbsup:) looks pretty plush as the Everyman too.. that'll do for me, can't wait to buy a 'tub' with nuts from the LyonsMaid lady and a Kio-Ora with a straw! ..  cheers. :) 

Everyman-resized.jpg

Problem is those snacks will probably set you back about £12 in there ha

1 hour ago, internetjef said:

Problem is those snacks will probably set you back about £12 in there ha

£ £ £'s ? ... :shocking:  ffs, blimey times have changed since I last saw a Pearl & Dean cinema presentation... even allowing for inflation and decimalisation I expected to still pay the equivalent of Shillings & Pence for an icecream tub and a cup drink ....

Geez, at those prices it's probably worth while modernising my old television, buy a new aerial and get one that picks up BBCTwo .. dammit,, I'm gonna go colour too, that'll be as good as going to the flicks and watching in glorious Technicolor... I'll pop down Julian Flooks get some munchies a bottle of Corona and a Party Seven in... I've already got a dimmer switch for the lava lamp I'll create my own cinema experience at home, and I can have a nice cold shandy while I watch. 

Memories eh?

Archived