IGNORED

When we stay up.....

MelksRed

I don't believe there has been a positive thread for the possibility of actually staying the Championship.....to that end.....what do you believe BCFC need to do in order to have a less calamitous season that the past two years and what should we be aiming for (mid-table......winning.....relegation battle avoidance?)

Please be constructive....I would prefer that this doesn't descend into a LJ beating session....who knows....he maybe responsible for a series of results that mean we could survive......we can take nothing for granted.

Hopeful that this can bring some constructive thoughts to light and maybe stir some thought into whomever (if anyone at all) reads this from the club!

I look forward to reading each of your posts and hope that (even if you disagree with another poster) that we can not pick holes in each point raised but offer alternatives with reasons why...

COYR!

11 minutes ago, Rednwhiterob said:

Bring on board some different thinking.

Review the internal structure at the club.

Create a culture where's there's more challenge to decision making. 

This comes from a man who would send tammy back to Chelsea? 

Maybe that's your way of different thinking?

Just now, Rednwhiterob said:

So which of my points above do you disagree with?

All 3 of them. For me the structure of the club is fine it's just a simple case of having the wrong manager . And I wasn't a LJ out man until recently and until he goes I'm behind him 100% 

16 minutes ago, Rednwhiterob said:

Bring on board some different thinking.

Review the internal structure at the club.

Create a culture where's there's more challenge to decision making. 

So how would you improve the internal structure of the club, and what system would you introduce to create a culture in which decisions are challenged?

Just now, Spoons said:

All 3 of them. For me the structure of the club is fine it's just a simple case of having the wrong manager . And I wasn't a LJ out man until recently and until he goes I'm behind him 100% 

100% behind the "wrong manager". Jesus wept.

And if you think the problems at this club start and stop at the doorstep if the first team coach then I think you need to look further.

Review critically why this season has been no better than the one before despite all the money spent. Have we brought in the right sort of players at the right time?

Review the structure on the coaching side. If no personnel changes of those here now, appoint an experienced & successful director of football.

Review our appointments system. Conduct proper due diligence before appointing anyone on the coaching side and conduct real interviews. If a manager or head coach wants to bring in their own man, there still needs to be a proper process. 

Appoint a supporters representative on the board. Should be a competitive process amongst members / season card holders.

How much of this will actually happen? Probably nothing!

4 minutes ago, Spoons said:

I'm 100% behind any bcfc manager! 

Ditto, even though I think we should get someone else.

Its the same as me saying that I wouldn't pick Tomlin in my 18, but should LJ pick him, I'll be fully behind him.

I praise and critique all of them.

As for what would I change:

- more accountability for recruitment.  What does that mean?  I'm assuming that some of us agree that although we've recruited well (on paper) it hasn't correlated to both game time and level of performance on the pitch.

Take Gary Rowett - he got sacked by Birmingham because they didn't trust him to use the funds from their new investors!

I'd be critiquing each signing against the projection at signing.  For example, O'Neil maybe fallen short, but is that due to injuries or performance....there can be subjectivity.  Take O'Dowda, how many games did LJ expect him to play this season and impact in those games.  Is he a + or a -?

Etc

I'd be using that to decide how much leeway (and funds) to give the manager in the next window.  This should also be levied at the recruitment team.

- the head coach to talk less openly.  Our current coach is too open and honest. Hard to believe, but I don't want our players called out, keep it in-house.  On the back of this I don't want bolloxy interviews with players with more spin than Shane Warne.  Talk about the game, not the inside world of the dressing room.

- finally, red nets and dancing girls :P

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Its the same as me saying that I wouldn't pick Tomlin in my 18, but should LJ pick him, I'll be fully behind him.

- more accountability for recruitment.  What does that mean?  I'm assuming that some of us agree that although we've recruited well (on paper) it hasn't correlated to both game time and level of performance on the pitch.

Take Gary Rowett - he got sacked by Birmingham because they didn't trust him to use the funds from their new investors!

I'd be critiquing each signing against the projection at signing.  For example, O'Neil maybe fallen short, but is that due to injuries or performance....there can be subjectivity.  Take O'Dowda, how many games did LJ expect him to play this season and impact in those games.  Is he a + or a -?

Etc

I'd be using that to decide how much leeway (and funds) to give the manager in the next window.  This should also be levied at the recruitment team.

- the head coach to talk less openly.  Our current coach is too open and honest. Hard to believe, but I don't want our players called out, keep it in-house.  On the back of this I don't want bolloxy interviews with players with more spin than Shane Warne.  Talk about the game, not the inside world of the dressing room.

Sometimes Dave, because of you, I find myself not needing to talk. 

I ******* love you Dave. 

I'd want to find out exactly what changed in our thinking between Saturday October 1st, when we won our 11th match 2-1 against Forest to go 5th and the Cardiff defeat on Friday October 14th, after the international break?

That was the start of the slide and weve never recovered.

What went so wrong to a team in form?

21 minutes ago, Spoons said:

If the structure of the club is fine, why do we keep failing at this level under so many different managers? Id say that we need to look critically at the clubs entire setup, from the chairman right down to the coaching and fitness staff. We need to put an end to "jobs for the boys", we need to create a proper footballing philosophy for the club and appoint the right people to fit this philosophy.. Wasters and hangers on need to be got rid of, and quite frankly SL needs more guidance on how to run a succesful football club. A talented businessman he may be, but he lacks a football brain.

Im quite optimistic that we'll stay up this season after a new manager bounce but if we want long term progress, a lot of work needs to be done behind the scenes.

20 minutes ago, Bob Thompson said:

There are about 90% of clubs who would want a better manager. The trouble is no one knows who these better managers are. We get six new players and dont even give them a chance to bed in.

No time to bed in January signings for a club in our position.

Time and games are marching on and we need to start picking up points - and quickly.

Let's get SL to spend a other couple of million getting rid of the coaching staff, then buy us another three  coaches and if that doesn't work we can get good old SL to do it all again! Never mind Fair play rules. Never mind under 23s Academies bringing on youngsters. Fun days etc.  Buy a team when that fails buy another. If we don't like it will put up a banner badmouth the players and manager and start all over again. After all we can't even agree on the team let alone the manager. But we are fans we know best!

46 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Etc

Great post, spot on.

2 hours ago, MelksRed said:

I don't believe there has been a positive thread for the possibility of actually staying the Championship.....to that end.....what do you believe BCFC need to do in order to have a less calamitous season that the past two years and what should we be aiming for (mid-table......winning.....relegation battle avoidance?)

Please be constructive....I would prefer that this doesn't descend into a LJ beating session....who knows....he maybe responsible for a series of results that mean we could survive......we can take nothing for granted.

Hopeful that this can bring some constructive thoughts to light and maybe stir some thought into whomever (if anyone at all) reads this from the club!

I look forward to reading each of your posts and hope that (even if you disagree with another poster) that we can not pick holes in each point raised but offer alternatives with reasons why...

COYR!

MelksRed please see the thread last week entitled 'Optimistically looking forward' which covered the same topic and attracted some good thoughts/contributions.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Genuine question Dave, when did you stop thinking that Tomlin should be in our squad? I always had you down as a fan of the 'more skill, less graft' type players, such as Hoddle, Le Tissier, Bowles, Currie etc.

Tomlin is the latest in our line of such players that includes Jacki, Trundle and JET.....yes they were bl**dy frustrating at times, but when they turned it on they were unplayable.

I just like to think there is always room in any football team for a very skilful footballer who can win games in an instant but who doesn't necessarily 'cover every blade of grass' to quote an ugly cliche...

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Genuine question Dave, when did you stop thinking that Tomlin should be in our squad? I always had you down as a fan of the 'more skill, less graft' type players, such as Hoddle, Le Tissier, Bowles, Currie etc.

Tomlin is the latest in our line of such players that includes Jacki, Trundle and JET.....yes they were bl**dy frustrating at times, but when they turned it on they were unplayable.

I just like to think there is always room in any football team for a very skilful footballer who can win games in an instant but who doesn't necessarily 'cover every blade of grass' to quote an ugly cliche...

Honestly?

Archived