IGNORED

Civil Partnership/Marriage

The Coach

Just reading this article... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39039146

Do this couple have a point? 

Should hetrosexual couples be allowed civil partnerships? Is there that much of a difference between this and marriage?

Seems to me this is a step below marriage. Although, some what pointless to fight for in my case. If you love someone, you know if you want to marry them and be with them till death do you part. 

Just seems another reason to battle the courts. People seem to want every option legally open for them, even if it has no purpose.

• Admin

It's strange that legislation that was aimed at ending or limiting discrimination, ends up being discriminatory.  The family law lawyers on the radio today are very supportive of the law applying to all.  They were saying about the mess that occurs when co-habiting couples split up, which would be all covered by a civil partnership.

19 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

It's strange that legislation that was aimed at ending or limiting discrimination, ends up being discriminatory.  The family law lawyers on the radio today are very supportive of the law applying to all.  They were saying about the mess that occurs when co-habiting couples split up, which would be all covered by a civil partnership.

It just reminds me all of this....

9 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

I all for it. If a couple who wish to cover legalities - such as buying a house together - without marriage (ergo keeping their single status), why shouldn't they?

What Peg said. Plus I guess it would sort any potential issues relating to children that the couple had if one person dies. 

17 minutes ago, SARJ said:

Screams 'open relationship' to me

I can see why people make the suggestion that a civil partnership would relate to an 'open relationship'. Potentially, it probably would as adultery can't be used as evidence in a dissolution.

An open relationship is a relationship where people are free to see other people. 

A civil partnership between a man and a woman is a legal agreement allowing the partner legal statuses. 

Perhaps someone was divorced previously so doesn't want to go through it again? Perhaps they saw parents/family/friends go through a messy divorce and couldn't do it themselves? Perhaps they believe marriage has religious/historical connotations they don't agree with?

Plenty of people want to be with someone without losing their own status. It's not so they can be given free rein to shag about but make sure their partner gets their pension pot eventually. 

Archived