IGNORED

Team spirit

Alessandro

I was listening to Freddie Flintoff recently talking and he said there was no such thing as team spirit, just success.

Success brings people together.

Failure and people go off into their own cliques and the finger pointing and back stabbing starts. Shift the blame. Ultimately, it's human nature to look after number 1, and in this day and age simply turn up to collect your huge pay check, be it at your current club, or another, they don't care.

This to me is exactly what LJ let slip out in his interview last night. LJ has not got the players pulling together and working for each other, you can see the factions and finger pointing. There has been too much change to the squad, too soon. 

The rot has set in and is clearer every match now. Time was given to see if this rot could be fixed, but to be honest at best we've seen flimsy wallpapering over the cracks. 

14 games to go - I've advocated time for LJ, but for me, unless SL is actually prepared to accept relegation should that happen, then it's time to act.

Been no team spirit in weeks. 

Impossible if you bring in 6 new players, play 'em all and still keep losing. Bound to have factions with existing players being replaced by players who clearly ain't no better. 

What had Wright done to be captain? Team spirit?

Pack, maggers, fielding no worse (in my opinion better) than their replacements? What does that do for team spirit? 

We need to face up to it LJ is totally clueless and has been allowed to make a dreadful mess of our club with a massive squad full of players of a similar standard who will cost a fortune to get shot of when we go down into gas territory.  

How we will ever get the Steve cotterill squad team spirit back god only knows.  

Only a few of us stayed long enough last night to notice Tomlin and Bryan coming over to clap the remaining fans.

Was there a message in that ? Like - you are right about LJ ? 

Can't think why else they would clap us, because the support from the stands last night was almost non existent - for good reason.

We were comprehensively out played in every department by a lively, very fit and well organised side. 

I have not seen the goals yet, but when I do I will be counting how many passes they put together just before their first goal. Must have been at least ten (including a clever back heel as I recall).

1 minute ago, The Red Planet said:

Only a few of us stayed long enough last night to notice Tomlin and Bryan coming over to clap the remaining fans.

Can't think why else they would clap us, because the support from the stands last night was almost non existent - for good reason.

We were comprehensively out played in every department by a lively, very fit and well organised side. 

I have not seen the goals yet, but when I do I will be counting how many passes they put together just before their first goal. Must have been at least ten (including a clever back heel as I recall).

24 according to a poster last night !

52 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

Been no team spirit in weeks. 

Impossible if you bring in 6 new players, play 'em all and still keep losing. Bound to have factions with existing players being replaced by players who clearly ain't no better. 

What had Wright done to be captain? Team spirit?

Pack, maggers, fielding no worse (in my opinion better) than their replacements? What does that do for team spirit? 

We need to face up to it LJ is totally clueless and has been allowed to make a dreadful mess of our club with a massive squad full of players of a similar standard who will cost a fortune to get shot of when we go down into gas territory.  

How we will ever get the Steve cotterill squad team spirit back god only knows.  

By  creating a bond between a group of people who overcome their difficulties and succeed together.

There is something in team spirit but winning makes that so much easier and losing makes it so much harder.

I said in another thread before that our style of play has been negative and it means the lads are now negative too. You look how deep we defend and with no urgency. Ball goes out wide we jog to the man. Ball comes back central we jog out to him. No effort to sprint and really close down. So much emphasis on shape and containing that when we do get the ball the same efforts are being made to go forward. It's seems everyone when receiving the ball is already half turned to pass backwards. Emphasis on retaining possession and it kills the actual football. For a footballer, I can imagine that would get you in a negative mindset. So maybe not team spirit but no one is having fun and that's a big problem. Chances need to be taken. A good press can be beaten but I'll take that chance. A quick pass forward may be intercepted or go out of play but take the chance. I don't mind having a bad team but I mind having a team that only goes half speed. Sitting with a back 8 or 9 only 20 yards from your goal isn't going to work. The attacking talent in the league is too good and last night was a good example. They picked us apart but we didn't make it hard for them either. I watched 3 of them play football between 5-6 of our players for their first goal. Most passes had some risk involved but they were confident and quick and it led to good things. We lack that 

13 minutes ago, The Red Planet said:

That happens after every game, especially those 2. Absolutely nothing to be made from it. 

14 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

There is something in team spirit but winning makes that so much easier and losing makes it so much harder.

I said in another thread before that our style of play has been negative and it means the lads are now negative too. You look how deep we defend and with no urgency. Ball goes out wide we jog to the man. Ball comes back central we jog out to him. No effort to sprint and really close down. So much emphasis on shape and containing that when we do get the ball the same efforts are being made to go forward. It's seems everyone when receiving the ball is already half turned to pass backwards. Emphasis on retaining possession and it kills the actual football. For a footballer, I can imagine that would get you in a negative mindset. So maybe not team spirit but no one is having fun and that's a big problem. Chances need to be taken. A good press can be beaten but I'll take that chance. A quick pass forward may be intercepted or go out of play but take the chance. I don't mind having a bad team but I mind having a team that only goes half speed. Sitting with a back 8 or 9 only 20 yards from your goal isn't going to work. The attacking talent in the league is too good and last night was a good example. They picked us apart but we didn't make it hard for them either. I watched 3 of them play football between 5-6 of our players for their first goal. Most passes had some risk involved but they were confident and quick and it led to good things. We lack that 

LJ said in his interview he never asks the players to stand off their men like they've been doing in defence. So, either the players are:

1) Not good enough.

2) Not trying hard enough.

3) Unable to do what the manager asks because of the way he sets up or other tactical reasons.

4) Don't want to do want the manager asks because they disagree with him.

2 hours ago, Alessandro said:

LJ said in his interview he never asks the players to stand off their men like they've been doing in defence. So, either the players are:

1) Not good enough.

2) Not trying hard enough.

3) Unable to do what the manager asks because of the way he sets up or other tactical reasons.

4) Don't want to do want the manager asks because they disagree with him.

Well then he needs to bench those players but I'm afraid it's too late. They aren't responding to something he is saying. Last night I didn't even see a team trying. Respect the manager or not that's poor. It's from some I didn't expect either. Team is a mess right now and while there are 3 very poor teams below us, we are doing all we can to help one of them out. I think it'll be 3 of the bottom 4 going down as Burton at least have the fight in them and everyone else is only 7-10 points from safety(IMO). 42 points should probably just about do it and most teams have hit 40 already. 

4 hours ago, The Red Planet said:

Fulham fitness level alone outstanding and in stark contrast to ours . We looked slow , lethargic and very unfit . Still they have only got all day and week to train and get fit unlike some other sports like swimmers who have to do 10 k in the pool    To get pool time . Total disgrace some players . Absolutely no excuses . 

Archived