IGNORED

Stats

Esmond Million's Bung

Pre match yesterday on this forum it was obvious that people were cherry picking stats in isolation trying to prove 'their' point, my favourite was isolating SC's championship record to prove how shit he was.

But in truth a managers fate is usually sealed by form/results over the last 20 league games of their time as manager.

And this evidence of our last 5 sacked managers + LJ that somebody posted last night is pretty damning I would say.

Points won during last 20 games as #BristolCity boss: G Johnson - 19 Millen - 19 McInnes - 13 O'Driscoll - 14 Cotterill - 17 L Johnson - 12

3 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Pre match yesterday on this forum it was obvious that people were cherry picking stats in isolation trying to prove 'their' point, my favourite was isolating SC's championship record to prove how shit he was.

But in truth a managers fate is usually sealed by form/results over the last 20 league games of their time as manager.

And this evidence of our last 5 sacked managers + LJ that somebody posted last night is pretty damning I would say.

Points won during last 20 games as #BristolCity boss: G Johnson - 19 Millen - 19 McInnes - 13 O'Driscoll - 14 Cotterill - 17 L Johnson - 12

saves me a job, thanks Es

I can understand people having faith. But I cannot understand people having blind faith with a rookie manager who has achieved nothing to deserve this faith in his managerial career. 

All of those managers had achieved something of note in their careers bar Millen and deserved the time they got, LJ does not.

16 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Millen is free, and much better than Lee according to that... he had a shocking squad and we had no scouting network when he was here also.

But I liked Keith so I'm biased. He played consistent squads, the players just weren't good enough and let him down, as shown the following season. Martyn Woolford anyone?

If under the current system, where we seem to want to have a coach, some like Millen, Phelan, McDermott, would that be bad bets.

5 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Millen is free, and much better than Lee according to that... he had a shocking squad and we had no scouting network when he was here also.

But I liked Keith so I'm biased. He played consistent squads, the players just weren't good enough and let him down, as shown the following season. Martyn Woolford anyone?

If under the current system, where we seem to want to have a coach, some like Millen, Phelan, McDermott, would that be bad bets.

I would not take Millen per se but last night somebody suggested Pardew and Millen until the end of the season on a big bonus to save us from relegation and then see where we are in the summer and I like that idea apparently Millen was at AG last night.

I just don't think Millen is the right guy on his own.

I just hope that SL and BCFC don't do their usual of taking too much time to bring the new person in, we have 14 games left and the new man will need every minute of those games to save us.

2 other points I love the fact that some LJ supporters have just realised how shit we are and how deep in the shit we are as if this is some kind of shock and finally the LJ remain supporters claiming 'stability' as their reasoning, what stability are you actually talking about because I am confused, the stability of keeping the same manager whatever happens? or the stability of the club?, I would say that the stability of the club is far more important and the main issue of that stability is championship survival.

10 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I would not take Millen per se but last night somebody suggested Pardew and Millen until the end of the season on a big bonus to save us from relegation and then see where we are in the summer and I like that idea apparently Millen was at AG last night.

I just don't think Millen is the right guy on his own.

I just hope that SL and BCFC don't do their usual of taking too much time to bring the new person in, we have 14 games left and the new man will need every minute of those games to save us.

2 other points I love the fact that some LJ supporters have just realised how shit we are and how deep in the shit we are as if this is some kind of shock and finally the LJ remain supporters claiming 'stability' as their reasoning, what stability are you actually talking about because I am confused, the stability of keeping the same manager whatever happens? or the stability of the club?, I would say that the stability of the club is far more important and the main issue of that stability is championship survival.

I doubt Pardew would come nor work under our current umbrella staff setup.

I could see McDermott and Millen however...

McDermott worked under Hammond, who was Chief Operating Officer / Director of Football, at Reading. :yawn:

1 minute ago, Fuber said:

McDermott worked under Hammond, who was Chief Operating Officer / Director of Football, at Reading. :yawn:

2 things if SL is serious about avoiding relegation then he will create a situation whereby Pardew and Millen come for the short term, both are unemployed.

Mcdermott or Mcdermott/Millen for me would be far too weak, I have never thought Mcdermott was all that.

Bottom line for me is if SL wants to keep the fans onside until the end of the season, then we need somebody who the fans will believe in and that for me ain't Mcdermott. 

6 minutes ago, Fuber said:

why not? thats what he worked under at Newcastle, I think Pardew and Millen is a great shout, one proven manager and one assistant who knows the club and chairman really well

McDermott has only been relegated from the prem in his entire managerial career to date, has a set style of football and was very unlucky to lose his jobs at Leeds and his second spell at Reading,  the latter when he was forced to use academy players due to lack of spending.

Granted he's not the strongest available, but he's more realistic than Paedew or Rowett. Who I don't think would touch us now. And I advocated Rowett not too long ago for the position.

29 minutes ago, Fuber said:

He's also more experienced now than he was when he was thrown in at the deep end. PL experience at that!

But as I said on another thread it's not so much a case of us stating who we'd like, or even SL drawing up a wish list, it's who would come here at this stage in the season and inherit a dogs breakfast of someone else's making. Many managers wouldn't want that sort of poison chalice.

We may only have the option of Pemberton until June.

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

why not? thats what he worked under at Newcastle, I think Pardew and Millen is a great shout, one proven manager and one assistant who knows the club and chairman really well

You are right, I think that SL is more under pressure now than he has ever been and if he doesn't sack LJ or takes too long to bring in a suitable replacement or brings in what is considered an unsuitable replacement and any of those scenarios sees us relegated, he will have a near empty ground next season and a queue of players outside the boardroom wanting to abandon ship rather than play in the cesspit of the 1st/3rd division.

7 minutes ago, Fuber said:

McDermott has only been relegated from the prem in his entire managerial career to date, has a set style of football and was very unlucky to lose his jobs at Leeds and his second spell at Reading,  the latter when he was forced to use academy players due to lack of spending.

Granted he's not the strongest available, but he's more realistic than Paedew or Rowett. Who I don't think would touch us now. And I advocated Rowett not too long ago for the position.

i'm sorry but 'realistic' is just not good enough this time around, SL has got the money and needs to at least bring in somebody to give us hope.

Rowett is just another LJ risk, we need a big name who likes money more than worrying about having a failure on his CV.

PS:- I am pissed off with BCFC and 'realistic' or cheap options or experiments.

10 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

You are right, I think that SL is more under pressure now than he has ever been and if he doesn't sack LJ or takes too long to bring in a suitable replacement or brings in what is considered an unsuitable replacement and any of those scenarios sees us relegated, he will have a near empty ground next season and a queue of players outside the boardroom wanting to abandon ship rather than play in the cesspit of the 1st/3rd division.

Couldn't agree more. There is a potential s*it storm coming SL's way if we go down again. It would seem to highlight that in sporting terms he is clueless. So many failures can't all be down to bad luck.

1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

i'm sorry but 'realistic' is just not good enough this time around, SL has got the money and needs to at least bring in somebody to give us hope.

Rowett is just another LJ risk, we need a big name who likes money more than worrying about having a failure on his CV.

PS:- I am pissed off with BCFC and 'realistic' or cheap options or experiments.

I'm not being realistic in terms of costs, I'm being realistic in terms of our stature. We'very done nothing to warrant these managers to want to come here and alot of coaches i.e. Rowett may be uncomfortable working in such a setup.

Pardew went from dealing under a Director of football, and being frustrated at missing out on targets, to then going to Palace and developing a close working relationship with his Chairman.

36 minutes ago, Fuber said:

I'm not being realistic in terms of costs, I'm being realistic in terms of our stature. We'very done nothing to warrant these managers to want to come here and alot of coaches i.e. Rowett may be uncomfortable working in such a setup.

Pardew went from dealing under a Director of football, and being frustrated at missing out on targets, to then going to Palace and developing a close working relationship with his Chairman.

I did specify initially until the end of the season with a brief to keep us up and then see where we are in the summer, both are unemployed (Millen a bit of part time work with Spurs) your sentence about a director of football/operating manager isn't a problem there are no more transfer windows between now and the beginning of June which would be the length of contract initially.

'realistic in terms of stature' as my dad used to say if you don't ask you don't get.

As I said forget about Rowett IMO another virtually untried LJ, we need something different along the lines of Pardew or Redknapp short term and then take it from the summer to make a final decision.

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I did specify initially until the end of the season with a brief to keep us up and then see where we are in the summer, both are unemployed (Millen a bit of part time work with Spurs) your sentence about a director of football/operating manager isn't a problem there are no more transfer windows between now and the beginning of June which would be the length of contract initially.

'realistic in terms of stature' as my dad used to say if you don't ask you don't get.

As I said forget about Rowett IMO another virtually untried LJ, we need something different along the lines of Pardew or Redknapp short term and then take it from the summer to make a final decision.

There's also the fact that Rowett has just as much and more recent tier 2 experience as Pardew. That's hardly untried, and comparing him to LJ - that leaves me at a loss, I just don't know what to say in response to that statement :blink:.

Your points have been valid, and it's your opinion, but I can respectfully disagree with the view on Rowett. You need only look at what has happened since he left Brum, players clearly believed in him, which is what we desperately need.

2 minutes ago, Fuber said:

There's also the fact that Rowett has just as much and more recent tier 2 experience as Pardew. That's hardly untried, and comparing him to LJ - that leaves me at a loss, I just don't know what to say in response to that statement :blink:.

Your points have been valid, and it's your opinion, but I can respectfully disagree with the view on Rowett. You need only look at what has happened since he left Brum, players clearly believed in him, which is what we desperately need.

You may have a point about Rowett, my point is I don't think that he is the right man at this particular moment in time, that is my honest opinion I think we need somebody different given the amount of games left, forget the pretty tippy happy crap, we need results and ugly results will do, think about Rowett in the summer IMO.

4 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

You may have a point about Rowett, my point is I don't think that he is the right man at this particular moment in time, that is my honest opinion I think we need somebody different given the amount of games left, forget the pretty tippy happy crap, we need results and ugly results will do, think about Rowett in the summer IMO.

Rowett plays direct, not Tippy Tippy,  playing ugly football was why he got results at Brum. Clayton Donaldson tore us apart at St Andrews I believe last season or the one before. He got results with team punching adovery their weight. It's why I advocated him.

We have a 6'7 half of striker, If Rowett can work on our organisation and second phase of attack. We'do be much more effective and give me cause for optimism, I just think with the s*** we're in, I no longer think he'd come here, could get better options. I can see him coming in somewhere like Villa.

Archived