IGNORED

He will wait (until it's too late)

southvillekiddy

One of the most worrying things for us is that Blackburn have moved decisively in getting Mowbray, a no-nonsense northerner who I suspect will at least stop them losing and may well save them.

By contrast SL, our deluded owner said some time ago when there was still time, words to the  effect of "Let's wait and see"

Arrogant as well as BONKERS.

Forget Johnson, that man is responsible and is IMO the biggest single obstacle to BCFC achieving anything beyond League 1. Sounds like a good bloke etc. etc but what has he achieved - greater and greater control over our Club and 2 shiny new stands that will be empty next year.

So don't anybody try and tell me what he has done for BCFC. He's made it his fantasy plaything.

18 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

One of the most worrying things for us is that Blackburn have moved decisively in getting Mowbray, a no-nonsense northerner who I suspect will at least stop them losing and may well save them.

By contrast SL, our deluded owner said some time ago when there was still time, words to the  effect of "Let's wait and see"

Arrogant as well as BONKERS.

Forget Johnson, that man is responsible and is IMO the biggest single obstacle to BCFC achieving anything beyond League 1. Sounds like a good bloke etc. etc but what has he achieved - greater and greater control over our Club and 2 shiny new stands that will be empty next year.

So don't anybody try and tell me what he has done for BCFC. He's made it his fantasy plaything.

Been saying it for years. Nearly 100m spunked up against the wall, having to share now with the rugby as equal tenants and it looks liike we will be back where it all started. SL's reign has been an absolute joke.

EDIT

I expect the usual abuse for my post but thats how I feel. If you disagree fine. 

It's already too late. January was the time to act. Instead we extended Johnson's contract when we were 6 losses into a record-breaking run of defeats.

I don't often blame Lansdown. He wants the club to succeed, he has opened up his chequebook and doesn't want to waste more cash.

But here was a decision where I believe he was blinded by a personal liking of LJ. Lee is a more intelligent man than Cotterell, a more personable man than SOD and - as his property investments made when a player show - has a business head on him. Conversations with him are probably so much easier than they were with the last two managers.

However Lee shares a fatal flaw with his old man - when the going gets tough, his common sense deserts him.

Gary Owers could see what was going wrong last night; 17,000 people in the stands could see what was going on; Lee floundered.

5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Gary Owers could see what was going wrong last night; 17,000 people in the stands could see what was going on; Lee floundered.

What was going wrong Red?  as someone who was not there, me that is. Not trying to be flippant just very interested what LJ was doing wrong apart from being on the touch line in the first place I mean.. OK so that bit was flippant.

Just now, havanatopia said:

What was going wrong Red?  as someone who was not there, me that is. Not trying to be flippant just very interested what LJ was doing wrong apart from being on the touch line in the first place I mean.. OK so that bit was flippant.

First, the formation. Two best available strikers start, tick. Two pacy wingers to supply crosses, tick. And...... where's the centre of midfield? A huge Tomlin (or Bobby Reid) shaped hole was behind Taylor and Djuric, allowing Cairney, McDonald and Piazon to pass around and operate at will. Heggeler and Brownhill were back in the Pack/GON role of defensive midfielders, protecting the back four. And here's the rub, Brownhill cannot defend for toffee and while Tammy gets back and helps out in the box, Djuric and Taylor do not.

As others have said, we now seem to be coached to stand off men we are meant to be marking. Not just stand off a couple of feet and make feinting movements, so the attacker doesn't know which way to go, but stand static about 8 feet away. We were passed around, with no effort to close down their attack even when it was just outside our box (see the build up to the first goal).

There were individual mistakes that were not LJ's fault. Heggeler had a poor game. In the second half he was obviously told to man mark Cairney, their main creator, which he did clumsily, picking up a yellow and it would clearly have been a Nathan Baker scenario had Johnson not subbed him. As for Matthews, after a promising first 20 minutes when he appeared to have got the measure of boy wonder Sessengnon, he reverted to his worse traits and two identical mistakes in 90 seconds led to their second. Djuric really should have done better with a free header from 4 yards. Tomlin tried to walk a ball into the net when he had a clear shot on goal with their keeper stranded.

We had no defensive stability until after an hour when GON came on and was one of the few who could pick up their pay with a clear conscience after last night. Unfortunately, by then, our shape was all over the place, Taylor had been playing on the wing and was totally lost, David Cotterill's tidy crosses were gone as he was forced to play right back. Bryan was put down the middle and we had zero width.

But as other threads pick up on, Johnson's real failure is a failure to inspire the players, to imbue a fighting spirit. On the hour mark, another side could have still snatched a draw or even an unlikely win. But we just looked broken. 

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

It's already too late. January was the time to act. Instead we extended Johnson's contract when we were 6 losses into a record-breaking run of defeats.

I don't often blame Lansdown. He wants the club to succeed, he has opened up his chequebook and doesn't want to waste more cash.

But here was a decision where I believe he was blinded by a personal liking of LJ. Lee is a more intelligent man than Cotterell, a more personable man than SOD and - as his property investments made when a player show - has a business head on him. Conversations with him are probably so much easier than they were with the last two managers.

However Lee shares a fatal flaw with his old man - when the going gets tough, his common sense deserts him.

Was the crowd given as 17,000?

No chance, I'd be surprised if there were more than 13,000 there.

Fans, including STH's, are already voting with their feet.

Just now, Nogbad the Bad said:

Was the crowd given as 17,000?

No chance, I'd be surprised if there were more than 13,000 there.

Fans, including STH's, are already voting with their feet.

I was surprised by how many were there, Noggers. 

17,272 officially. It was pretty full in the Dolman. At least until the 85th minute :facepalm:

I am a STH....I wasn't there, I live in Stroud so there is great expense going to games, especially mid-week

But to be honest I knew it wouldn't be worth the effort as it was going to be a gutless performance. I was hoping to be proved wrong, but sadly I wasn't!!!!

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

I was surprised by how many were there, Noggers. 

17,272 officially. It was pretty full in the Dolman. At least until the 85th minute :facepalm:

I was in the Lower Dolman so admittedly couldn't tell how many were above Robbo.

But from my view the Atyeo and Landsdown looked sparse and plenty of gaps in the SS.

13,500 STH's, - I know they're all counted but I remember Sexton saying on average 1 in 6 don't turn up.

I imagine it was more than that last night - lots of no show regulars around me - plus not many POTD or from Fulham.

I honestly don't think there were more than 13,000 'bums on seats' as they say, in fact from my figures it would have needed a big uptake on the kids tickets to even reach that.

1 hour ago, BS3_RED said:

Been saying it for years. Nearly 100m spunked up against the wall, having to share now with the rugby as equal tenants and it looks liike we will be back where it all started. SL's reign has been an absolute joke.

EDIT

I expect the usual abuse for my post but thats how I feel. If you disagree fine. 

Starting to agree myself tbh. I've never wanted a manager sacked as much as I now want to see Lee gone and I was fairly happy with his appointment.

For all his "love of the club" and the money he has put in, SL simply must take responsibility for poor managerial appointments and the money spent on dross. Not all of its been bad, but most of it.

SL wants to leave a legacy, what will he be remember for so far? Building a stadium that we dont own, creating a "brand" that most of us dont want to be part of, and never really doing anything to raise our profile or position in the game?

The stadium is brilliant, but thats not enough to cover over the fact that his tenure has been a failure for the most part.

23 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I was in the Lower Dolman so admittedly couldn't tell how many were above Robbo.

But from my view the Atyeo and Landsdown looked sparse and plenty of gaps in the SS.

13,500 STH's, - I know they're all counted but I remember Sexton saying on average 1 in 6 don't turn up.

I imagine it was more than that last night - lots of no show regulars around me - plus not many POTD or from Fulham.

I honestly don't think there were more than 13,000 'bums on seats' as they say, in fact from my figures it would have needed a big uptake on the kids tickets to even reach that.

16%? I find that hard to believe - think Sexton might have been exaggerating.

Archived