IGNORED

Relegation Doomsday Thread

It's time.

Not just City (mainly City), but all things doom and relegation.

My prediction? It will go down to the last day of the season: how nice will that be?

Here is why:-

We will need at least 4 more wins from our last 13; Wigan will need at least 5 from 12; Blackburn at least 5 from their last 14.

The average league position of the teams we play is around 12th /13th - and on a positive note, we have a very slightly easier run in - but not by much. We also have 7 home games, and only 6 away.

We have 4 relegation "6-pointers"; Wigan and Blackburn only 3: this will be critical. We win those, we will stay up, but if we don't ............

Looking at these games, we have to play both Wigan and Blackburn away.

Finally, it's about winning:-

We have won once in the last 10; Wigan have won 3 times in that period, and Blackburn twice.

"It don't look good".

:badmood:

tfj (doomed, I say).

5 minutes ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

It's time.

Not just City (mainly City), but all things doom and relegation.

My prediction? It will go down to the last day of the season: how nice will that be?

Here is why:-

We will need at least 4 more wins from our last 13; Wigan will need at least 5 from 12; Blackburn at least 5 from their last 14.

The average league position of the teams we play is around 12th /13th - and on a positive note, we have a very slightly easier run in - but not by much. We also have 7 home games, and only 6 away.

We have 4 relegation "6-pointers"; Wigan and Blackburn only 3: this will be critical. We win those, we will stay up, but if we don't ............

Looking at these games, we have to play both Wigan and Blackburn away.

Finally, it's about winning:-

We have won once in the last 10; Wigan have won 3 times in that period, and Blackburn twice.

"It don't look good".

tfj (doomed, I say).

If it DOES go down to that last game we are going to be without arguably our best player (David Cotterill) for that very match, so oh, dear

3 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

didn't expect points away to derby and Newcastle so if we get minimum 3 points next 2 games its gotta be positive

You are right.

6 points would be even better - as would a Euromillions win on Tuesday.

Possible but unlikely?

Why?

WE CAN'T WIN MATCHES.

FFS!

tfj

21 minutes ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

WHERE ARE THE WINS COMING FROM?

tfj

No need to shout, I totally agree. 
All the "we only lose by one goal" posts and the "yeah we were seven goals up but it's still a good point" post really piss me off.
A defeat is a defeat , no points for coming second . Turning 2+ goal leads into a draw is not going to keep us up, somehow we need to win, and soon.

All our home games are winnable , not easy but winnable if we can stop self harming, though Huddersfield are flying the rest I would give us a chance.
Burton, Norwich , Huddersfield , QPR , Barnsley and Birmingham. 

The away games, depends (as do the home games do ) on which team turns up but some vital games there.
Villa , Wigan ,Brentford , Preston , Blackburn and Brighton.

It won't matter if we don't start winning soon, I think that's the point TFJ was trying to make.:whistle:

34 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Turning 2+ goal leads into a draw is not going to keep us up, somehow we need to win, and soon.

Yes, but there is a huge difference between doing this against Derby and Newcastle (away) than say Rotherham. Nobody thinks it's great to lose a 2 or 3 goal lead we're just realistic that getting a point in those 2 away fixtures is actually good. 

2 minutes ago, RichardEdd said:

Yes, but there is a huge difference between doing this against Derby and Newcastle (away) than say Rotherham. Nobody thinks it's great to lose a 2 or 3 goal lead we're just realistic that getting a point in those 2 away fixtures is actually good. 

Sorry but getting a point from 2 or 3 goals down is great, getting a point is good. Losing a 2 or 3 goal lead and barely hanging on is not good and hardly sets you up for a relegation battle. Every team we play now will know they're still in the game even if we go 2 goals up. 
Reading,Seff W, Derby and yesterday has cost us12 points, ok I'll give you the 2 draws then. 10 points ! Add those points and we would be 14th. 
Anyone can lose a 2 goal lead I grant you that, but 4 times in a couple of months? Spin it any way you want it is not good.

34 minutes ago, Meryl Goodrum said:

I'm no expert on football, so can anyone explain to me why a team that dominated in the first half and clearly rattled the opposition, can come out with such a different mindset after the break? I know Rafa probably gave his lot hell at half time, but God knows what our guys were given...Prozac maybe? 

I wouldn't say we dominated the first half, or it certainly didn't look like where i was sitting. We were under the cosh most of the game as the stats will show. We had some chances and thankfully we took a couple. A point from that game yesterday is a great point considering there 64% possession to our 36% and there 20 shots to our 9. 

23 minutes ago, cityboy99 said:

I wouldn't say we dominated the first half, or it certainly didn't look like where i was sitting. We were under the cosh most of the game as the stats will show. We had some chances and thankfully we took a couple. A point from that game yesterday is a great point considering there 64% possession to our 36% and there 20 shots to our 9. 

Possession is a funny stat. Brum had 62%  against QPR and lost 4-1. The shots stat is a little more telling although on BBC site we had 5 each on target , it must have been a good defensive performance . 
On the radio it said we were camped in our own box, was it that much of an Alamo game?
I would like to see the manager try to get them to push out, just try and defend slightly higher , he just seems to stand there with little or no input.

5 hours ago, ploppy said:

Thankfully Birmingham are nearly as shite as us at the moment so I couldn't think of a better final game 

The best scenario for us is, Brum are already safe, if we win Wolves are relegated, 2500 Brum fans in various states of fancy dress cheering every move we make.

With ten minutes to go we score to take the lead, Brum kick off and give us the ball, all 11 Brum players then stand in their own penalty area for the remainder of the game.

14 hours ago, BigTone said:

Whoa just calm down Unk. Did the Nurses not serve custard with your apple crumble today

Custard alone is not a good enough 'coping strategy'.

You need a diet full of nutrients; regular exercise, and a mental health regime.

Good luck with the last one, nutter.

:fingerscrossed:

tfj

12 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

Fact of the matter is we won't be winning any matches unless we start keeping clean sheets. Scoring isn't an issue for this city team. Keeping the ball out of our own net is however.

I no!

He mentioned City keeping clean sheets ..........

Unless I have added it up wrong, we have done this just four times (4) this season:

Rotherham (!!) H on 4th feb

Blackburn (!!) H on 22nd Oct

Leeds H 27th Sept

Fulham A 24th Sept.

Conceded in EVERY other game.

Oh ****.

Went to Wembley yesterday for EFL Final with my younger Brother who is a Saints ST holder. After going 2-0 down, I thought, here we go again and at half time thought, how many more. Soton came out and played their hearts out and got the 2 goals to equalise. Couldnt help but thinking, yes we are a sh*t Man Utd in disguise but true to their bl***y form against the run of play, Scumbag Utd scored to win, so It don't just happen to us. Was gutted for my bro and all the Saints fans but the best thing was the £9.80 tube return for just 2 stations and the £5.20 pint of real ale.:yawn:

49 minutes ago, oldstandrobin said:

Went to Wembley yesterday for EFL Final with my younger Brother who is a Saints ST holder. After going 2-0 down, I thought, here we go again and at half time thought, how many more. Soton came out and played their hearts out and got the 2 goals to equalise. Couldnt help but thinking, yes we are a sh*t Man Utd in disguise but true to their bl***y form against the run of play, Scumbag Utd scored to win, so It don't just happen to us. Was gutted for my bro and all the Saints fans but the best thing was the £9.80 tube return for just 2 stations and the £5.20 pint of real ale.:yawn:

£5.20?

£5.20??

I only passed the £4 threshold a few months ago, and normally pay £3-something.

I am NOT ready for £5.

:no:

tfj

5 minutes ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

£5.20?

£5.20??

I only passed the £4 threshold a few months ago, and normally pay £3-something.

I am NOT ready for £5.

:no:

tfj

Another reason for not getting relegated, by the time we make the JPT or Lge 1 Play Off Finals it will be £12.20 :whistle:

Johnson Out 

1 hour ago, oldstandrobin said:

Another reason for not getting relegated, by the time we make the JPT or Lge 1 Play Off Finals it will be £12.20 :whistle:

Johnson Out 

I've thought of a reason for being relegated:-

- season tickets will be cheaper.

- more elbow room in the stadium.

- might win some games?

- and LJ will get sacked ..............

........... or will he ......... ??

:shifty:

"Taxi for Johnson!!!"

1 hour ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

I've thought of a reason for being relegated:-

- season tickets will be cheaper.