IGNORED

its all about the full backs

where's the joy

we have been undercooked all season at fullback and thats why we have failed to hold out in defence

yes there are other reasons but vulnerability from the flanks has cost us

martin scott, mickey bell where are you now?

luke ayling we know where you are now.

so lets get some simple decisions in place and stick with them.

back 3 its wright, flint, magnuson

back 4 its vyner, flint, wright, magnuson

not golbourne, or bryan or matthews or little 

simples !!

5 minutes ago, where's the joy said:

we have been undercooked all season at fullback and thats why we have failed to hold out in defence

simples !!

One of the reasons our full backs have struggled is because we have played a narrow formation most of the season, meaning that our full backs don't have players playing in front of them. Teams who play with width naturally have wide men who in turn nullify the opposition when they are attacking out wide, our full backs don't get any protection.

43 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

One of the reasons our full backs have struggled is because we have played a narrow formation most of the season, meaning that our full backs don't have players playing in front of them. Teams who play with width naturally have wide men who in turn nullify the opposition when they are attacking out wide, our full backs don't get any protection.

I agree to an extent yes... it's clear to see how effective Cotts has been in helping the right side when defending.

However  when playing a narrow formation the Holding midfield players are expected to cover the Full backs when they have gone forward. Could be due to this lack of cover maybe? 

1 hour ago, where's the joy said:

simples !!

While I agree with this, there is a bit of a tendency to recall Ayling's tenure here with the old rose-coloured's.

He was frequently caught out of position and was often very slow to turn. He compensated for this by being great going forward and having a good tackle on him when he was able to close down an attacker.

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

While I agree with this, there is a bit of a tendency to recall Ayling's tenure here with the old rose-coloured's.

He was frequently caught out of position and was often very slow to turn. He compensated for this by being great going forward and having a good tackle on him when he was able to close down an attacker.

Well that's not bad at all, his energy around the pitch was contagious, was a popular figure in the game, and the best fullback we have had since then, and after. We were daft to let him go, and I don't think it was Lee's call, just a PR move.

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Yeah Ayling did tend to get caught and was better on the right of a central three where he had a bit of cover.  What he did have that nobody in our back line manages to do now was the ability to carry the ball out of defence until challenged like Carey had eventually learned to rather than just punting it or waiting for a midfielder to collect it like the rest.

7 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Yeah Ayling did tend to get caught and was better on the right of a central three where he had a bit of cover.  What he did have that nobody in our back line manages to do now was the ability to carry the ball out of defence until challenged like Carey had eventually learned to rather than just punting it or waiting for a midfielder to collect it like the rest.

Bang on, Nibor

I do love Flinty, but when you see him drop his shoulder and try a Hoddle-esque 40 yard pass you just know it's not going to end well. Just keep possession, how many comments do we get from opposing fans that when we've got the ball we're actually pretty decent. Hard to score when the oppo have possession

always had a hunch that pack might make a decent full or centre back but guess we will never see him play there for city. who i would like to see at full back in the reserves to prove if up to it are;

on the left side o'dowda at left back, and smith when he comes back off his loan period

on the right side matthews again and again until he wakes up and bobby reid a great player who is so poor at shooting full back might be a better place

by the way where do hegeler and tomlin fit in all this i wonder?

24 minutes ago, where's the joy said:

always had a hunch that pack might make a decent full or centre back but guess we will never see him play there for city. who i would like to see at full back in the reserves to prove if up to it are;

on the left side o'dowda at left back, and smith when he comes back off his loan period

on the right side matthews again and again until he wakes up and bobby reid a great player who is so poor at shooting full back might be a better place

I'm sorry but you're doing more of what Johnson's tried to do with Bryan. Let attacking wide players like Bryan, Smith and O'Dowda be just that, attacking wide players.

Let's get full backs who are good enough for next season. We definitely need a new rb. As for lb, I've been shocked to see Golbourne not cut it as had high hopes for him so a new lb needed too unless he improves.

5 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I spent two season seated behind the goal in the front row watching Luke at close quarters for 45 minutes each game. Of course he was at fault for some goals but not as often as people make out.  He was a very good reader of the game and his cover behind Flint at times was excellent.

His ability on the ball was very good.  Watched the first half of the Leeds game at the weekend, and his ability to receive the ball and manoeuvre the ball into position to get forward is exceptionally good for this level.  Not blessed with pace, nor quick on the turn.  If he was he'd still be at Arsenal.  Him and Kyle Bartley were the Arsenal FAYC winning centre-backs.

30 minutes ago, where's the joy said:

In the modern game your full-backs have got to be comfy on the ball.  Pack could play there I reckon.

I always thought Gerrard would've made the best right back in the world.

1 hour ago, Chairman Mao said:

Ayling was a terrible defender, constantly caught out of position. I suggest people rewatch the Fulham (H) match last season. Bradley Orr would be perfect right now. 

Out of position or exposed by our gung-ho 352?  Bit of both I expect.  Didn't Flint give them the ball for their second?

That game we weren't great all round.

1 hour ago, Chairman Mao said:

Bradley Orr would be perfect right now. 

For nothing other than his application, aggression and drive; Bradley Orr would walk into this side.

No arguments over what could be seen as him having limited ability, but never backed down, or tolerated similar from his teammates.

It's why I stand up for Little when plenty put him down; puts himself on the line for the team.  Matthews can be argued to be a more cultured player, but never looks like doing that.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I spent two season seated behind the goal in the front row watching Luke at close quarters for 45 minutes each game. Of course he was at fault for some goals but not as often as people make out.  He was a very good reader of the game and his cover behind Flint at times was excellent.

His ability on the ball was very good.  Watched the first half of the Leeds game at the weekend, and his ability to receive the ball and manoeuvre the ball into position to get forward is exceptionally good for this level.  Not blessed with pace, nor quick on the turn.  If he was he'd still be at Arsenal.  Him and Kyle Bartley were the Arsenal FAYC winning centre-backs.

In the modern game your full-backs have got to be comfy on the ball.  Pack could play there I reckon.

Re Ayling Dave

Every time I watch him and his ability to run with / comfort the ball - I can't help but think that he could make a great 10 !!!!  

or (And I know you hate the term !! But an attacking midfielder) 

I thought in that promotion side he was actually up there competing as the best 'footballer' in the side

2 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

Ayling was a terrible defender, constantly caught out of position. I suggest people rewatch the Fulham (H) match last season. Bradley Orr would be perfect right now. 

Wow , I just checked , I thought he'd be older than 34. Is he still playing in America?  He could be on one side and his nephew , John Flannigan (Liverpool), on the Other! 

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

They also need to be quick/agile; Marlon Pack is possibly one of the slowest players I've ever seen play for us.

46 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Re Ayling Dave

Every time I watch him and his ability to run with / comfort the ball - I can't help but think that he could make a great 10 !!!!  

or (And I know you hate the term !! But an attacking midfielder) 

I thought in that promotion side he was actually up there competing as the best 'footballer' in the side

Not sure, bit too much of a whirlwind on the ball, but a good footballer undoubtedly.

Had he played further forward, I could easily see him being the 'second runner', you know,  ball from midfielder A into striker B, back to A, who springs the pass and suddenly got Ayling breaking their back line.  Intelligent footballer (not to be confused with other intelligence).  Tin hat, but I think Joe Bryan is the opposite, I don't think he's an intelligent footballer.

I thought he was excellent that season.  Cotts got it so right with Ayling, often the springboard to our attacks.  Litts played like a right winger.

On reflection, I don't hate the term number 10, I hate the thinking that it is a free role and the incumbent can do what they like.  If you use number 10 for a Beardsley-type, I can handle that.  Fickle sod aren't I.

6 minutes ago, 8MenWith1Dream said:

They also need to be quick/agile; Marlon Pack is possibly one of the slowest players I've ever seen play for us.

Probably, usually....but a good reader of the game can make it look easy too.

I still see Pack as a skilful midfielder from Cheltenham bursting to get out from the Cotterill 'quarter-back' comment.  The rare times he strides forward he can be very effective.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not sure, bit too much of a whirlwind on the ball, but a good footballer undoubtedly.

Had he played further forward, I could easily see him being the 'second runner', you know,  ball from midfielder A into striker B, back to A, who springs the pass and suddenly got Ayling breaking their back line.  Intelligent footballer (not to be confused with other intelligence).  Tin hat, but I think Joe Bryan is the opposite, I don't think he's an intelligent footballer.

I thought he was excellent that season.  Cotts got it so right with Ayling, often the springboard to our attacks.  Litts played like a right winger.

On reflection, I don't hate the term number 10, I hate the thinking that it is a free role and the incumbent can do what they like.  If you use number 10 for a Beardsley-type, I can handle that.  Fickle sod aren't I.

Liked him as he was always on the front foot and I felt he gave  /. Sparked energy throughout the side

Being on the front foot all the time he could cost us on occasions but for me he gave us much more than he gave away

Personally think he's underrated on here 

There was a great article in TheTimes yesterday calling Zak Vyner a rising star which I can only agree with. Little and Golbourne have no real turn of pace or ability to move forward, however this is only part of the problem. Flint is the real issue and has little positional awareness or ability other than in the oppositions box for headers. Sadly as a defender he is out of his depth. He is constantly in the wrong position, pulls the full backs out of shape and creates gaps for the strikers to penetrate. Bring back the Iceman into central defence instead of Flint, and let's see how it shapes up then.

13 hours ago, where's the joy said:

Shouldn't even still be here

My take on this is that Little and Golbourne are fairly average Championship footballers: nothing less, but certainly nothing more.

They are the latest goats to be scaped ;) following in a proud heritage from Aden Flint; Marlon Pack; Jens Hegeler; Frank Fielding; Jamie Paterson; Josh Brownhill; Stefan Giefffer; Joe Bryan; Bobby Reid - and yes, even Tammy in some folks' eyes! :facepalm:

Let's not forget there have been matches where both have (rightly) won MOTM.

We can improve on Little and Golbourne, but to misquote the Jackson Five:

"Don't blame it on the full backs, don't blame it on the Lansdown; don't blame it on the midfield. Blame it on the Johnson!

"Don't you blame it on Mark Ashton; don't blame it on the Flinty; don't blame it on the goalies. Blame it on the Johnson!"

Archived