IGNORED

Money spent supporting City + my view

ollywhyte

Living in Plymouth, historically it hasn't been easy for me to travel and attend games. This season has been different, I've finally got my car and a job that allows me to just about fund my passion. A passion that stemmed from my Dad who was born in Clevedon and has supported Bristol City all of his life, before moving to Plymouth when he joined the Royal Navy. 

This season, I purchased my first ever season ticket (for myself and my girlfriend) and we have also been to 5 away games. Cardiff, Reading, Wolves, Burnley and Newcastle.

Every home game I attend I spend £30 on petrol, I have so far attended 16 of those, and at each I have spent approximately £7 on food/drink from City outlets.

I'm just sat here this morning thinking how much I have actually spent on the club this season and what I have actually got from it, apart from heartache and false hope.

I've, sadly so, worked out how much I have spent this season and it makes for quite sickening reading!

Money spent on Bristol City this season:

Home Games

1x U22 Season Ticket - £115
1x U19 Season Ticket - £99
16x £30 on fuel - £480
16x £7 on kiosks - £112

Away Games

Cardiff - £30 petrol to Bristol and back, two £20 (approx tickets) and two £20 (CATS) - £110
Reading - £88 two train tickets to Reading and back, two £20 (approx tickets) - £128
Wolves - £50 petrol, two £20 (approx tickets) - £90
Burnley - £30 petrol to Bristol and back, two £10 (approx tickets) and two £30 (CATS) - £110
Newcastle - £30 petrol to Bristol and back, two £27 (approx tickets), and two £37 (CATS) - £158

Total outgoing: £1402

I'm not here to complain, I fully accept attending these games is completely my own decision. I left my house at 0230am on Saturday morning for Newcastle and returned 0200am the following morning, but what I saw was fully worth it - a full hearted performance that made me believe once more. I just want the players to show the same amount of emotion week in week out. A passion and desire for the club, the willingness to do everything they possibly can to win games. As a fanbase we have been brilliant, unbelievably understanding and supportive of our manager and team. 

The team we have assembled, the money we have spent, the stadium we play in. We cannot afford a relegation to the third tier of English Football. It would be tragic, and pure clarification of the mismanagement of our football club.

I fully understand SL publically backing LJ, ofcourse he wants it to work but he is now essentially gambling that perhaps things will turn around and the feel good factor can return. This gamble is what I cannot accept, LJ has been given a wealth of time and patience, but still we languish precariously above the relegation zone. We could quite feasibly find ourselves three from safety this weekend with Blackburn having a game in hand at home to extend that gap to 6. A 6 point gap with 11 games to go? Come on now, how has it potentially come to this?

We are now into March and I feel it has simply been left too long. We can't play the waiting game for LJ to miraculously turn us into Barcelona. Each week I see the confidence dripping from the team. Yes a 2-2 draw at Newcastle is remarkable, but even in those circumstances (losing a 2-0 lead) it is demoralising. LJ is literally hanging onto a 1-0 home win vs a team likely to be relegated this month.

I have wanted this to work but I believe his position has quickly become untenable and SL needs to bite the bullet before Ashton Gate is completely overtaken by a toxic atmosphere that will further damage our chances of survival. LJ strikes me as a man who knows his time should be up, he looks damaged and almost wanting to be put out of his misery. 

Reality is, Port Vale away or Sunderland away, you decide? 

Archived