IGNORED

Recruitment?

andrew_cryer

In an interview the other day, the club mentioned how happy they are with the recruitment....

Tammy - yep, well done

Tomlin - 2m ish- never plays, Magnusson - 1mish - never plays, engvall - 2mish - never plays, Djuric - 1.5ish - poor mans Wilbraham, Matthews - never plays, Brownhill - not a regular, Moore - loaned out, Lucic - loaned out, Odowda - signs of promise, Paterson - never plays, Taylor - bench, Hegeler - bench, ONeill - missed a huge chunk, Giefer - awful, cotts - good signing 

I have probably missed a few.... But , added to letting Ayling, Williams and freeman go - recruitment has actually been a total shambles. Hasn't it?

-

29 minutes ago, andrew_cryer said:

In an interview the other day, the club mentioned how happy they are with the recruitment....

Tammy - yep, well done

Tomlin - 2m ish- never plays, Magnusson - 1mish - never plays, engvall - 2mish - never plays, Djuric - 1.5ish - poor mans Wilbraham, Matthews - never plays, Brownhill - not a regular, Moore - loaned out, Lucic - loaned out, Odowda - signs of promise, Paterson - never plays, Taylor - bench, Hegeler - bench, ONeill - missed a huge chunk, Giefer - awful, cotts - good signing 

I have probably missed a few.... But , added to letting Ayling, Williams and freeman go - recruitment has actually been a total shambles. Hasn't it?

-

I was going to start a similar thread myself, but I've reached the point where even typing something about City makes me depressed. At the beginning of the season everyone though the recruitment was wonderful, mainly because they hadn't seen most of the players actually play, so they accepted the message given by Mark Ashton and Lee Johnson.  We've now reached March, and most of the summer signings aren't first team regulars, and even some of the January window signing can't get into the team. (The January signing were going to save us!) I don't blame MA or LJ for the Mathews's fiasco, as he was great last season, but they must take responsibility for the rest. Lee Tomlin is interesting, as LJ knew what sort of player he was, but this season can't work out how to fit him into the team. 

Where is the problem? Were the signings poor, or are they good and LJ can't make a successful team out of them?  I think i'sa combination of the two. Let's face it, we have been conned by MA and LJ who have talked a good talk but can't back up the words with action. 

I've never known a club to sign so many players that have been so ineffective - I suppose the only example I can think of is when the likes of Pompey and Blackpool were in complete freefall and were scraping by and signing all the free agents/dross they could find. The fact we've actually spent money and can be compared to them sums it up really. Absolutely shocking recruitment and after selling Kodjia there isn't a doubt in my mind the team is worse than what we had last season. Quantity over quality.

5 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Tools do nothing when not applied correctly. A poor tradesman blames his tools. Especially when you use a spanner as paint roller to cover the cracks. 

Completely agree with this. I think that most of the squad is / will be good enough. Another saying: you can have many talented / experienced people at the oars. But without a strong person to steer, the boat will be without direction.

I agree strongly. Our recruitment has been poor. Lots of bodies in but so many of them mediocre.  

Where are the really solid, reliable full backs that we need? Where is the central defender with some pace? The tallish muscular replacement for Wilbs (for me, Djuric just doesn't look right; I'm thinking more a Chris Wood-type). 

My main observation about our squad is that we don't have enough pace. Too many plodders. 

Archived