IGNORED

Lessons from Villa Park (Merged)

Marlborough Red

Whilst the facilities for Away fans in the Doug Ellis stand were outdated and inadequate, not to mention H & S concerns, ( our concourses are so much better), I thought there were several other areas at Villa Park where we could learn and incorporate into Ashton Gate. Like to know if other fans felt the same.

1. The advantage of having a Home End . Second half  Villa noise levels were so much higher and perhaps intimidated our Team .South Stand could play this vital role when Atyeo singers incorporated into the area adjacent to the Dolman in the SS.

2.Liked the Screens showing past highlights of Villa games and club legends for an hour before the game.

3.Screens also paused some goals to enable fans to guess which area a goal was scored

4.Didn't hear any music over the sound system before the start  which allowed the atmosphere to build naturally.

5.Clubhouse at the Holte End was for season tickets holders only. Perhaps the  Coffee /Sports Bar could be considered for similar policy  but with addition of 2 free passes for friends accompanying ST holders  . Gives a good additional benefit for ST holders

5 minutes ago, Marlborough Red said:

Whilst the facilities for Away fans in the Doug Ellis stand were outdated and inadequate, not to mention H & S concerns, ( our concourses are so much better), I thought there were several other areas at Villa Park where we could learn and incorporate into Ashton Gate. Like to know if other fans felt the same.

1. The advantage of having a Home End . Second half  Villa noise levels were so much higher and perhaps intimidated our Team .South Stand could play this vital role when Atyeo singers incorporated into the area adjacent to the Dolman in the SS.

2.Liked the Screens showing past highlights of Villa games and club legends for an hour before the game.

3.Screens also paused some goals to enable fans to guess which area a goal was scored

4.Didn't hear any music over the sound system before the start  which allowed the atmosphere to build naturally.

5.Clubhouse at the Holte End was for season tickets holders only. Perhaps the  Coffee /Sports Bar could be considered for similar policy  but with addition of 2 free passes for friends accompanying ST holders  . Gives a good additional benefit for ST holders

I dream of that down the city ground, but what do we get ? crap pop music blasted out so loud over a pitifull sound system that its difficult to have a conversation with the person next to you.

I love the assumption that until the Atyeo 'singers' are incorporated into any area of the ground that area will remain 'silent'....such an incorrect notion.

It's pronounced as though Section 82 will be the saviours of our 'atmosphere'....at some games this season the south Stand and some parts of the Dolman have been much louder...

Never said that the South Stand or Dolman are silent and are not creating an atmosphere. From where I sit in the Lansdown , the South Stand and Dolman are much louder than the Atyeo, often start the chants and singing  and do create a wall of sound  at times. My contention is that it could be so much louder and intimidating to the opposition, with the addition of the Atyeo fans, particularly in the 2nd half when we attack the SS.  No way was I criticising the fans who sit in this area in any way.

1 hour ago, tts_city said:

I dream of that down the city ground, but what do we get ? crap pop music blasted out so loud over a pitifull sound system that its difficult to have a conversation with the person next to you.

The other night it was painfully loud in the Atyeo, the volume was really loud ! 

Building an atmosphere before the game by singing and chanting is much better than blasting out crappy music which tends to drown everything else out and make everything go a bit flat.

The end of the game is also frustrating, they couldn't wait to turn the loud speakers on the other night and get the PA system going, all everyone wanted to do was listen to the abuse and boos :whistle:

25 minutes ago, The_Don said:

A proper English football ground, good acoustics in the Doug Ellis stand, but never seen such a narrow cramped concourse in the upper tier.

Thought the same. More of a corridor than a concourse. It was very odd to step out of such a cramped area into such a vast arena. Can't help but wonder how quickly everyone could get out in an emergency though.

25 minutes ago, tts_city said:

well its what its always been reffered to in my family as the city ground, its so ingrained i cant help it!

Same here. I don't think any of my mates have ever called it Ashton Gate, we are South Bristol born & raised too.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I love the assumption that until the Atyeo 'singers' are incorporated into any area of the ground that area will remain 'silent'....such an incorrect notion.

It's pronounced as though Section 82 will be the saviours of our 'atmosphere'....at some games this season the south Stand and some parts of the Dolman have been much louder...

Both stands don't really generate any atmosphere. 

It's just a fact.

I don't really know what section 82 is, all I know is that the overwhelming majority of noise and songs come from the Atyeo.

That's a really obvious observation.

So I was in the top tier of the stand and I came in and the first thing I saw was a massive queue which was ridiculous and I thought they were all queuing for alcohol... they didn't sell alcohol in that bar! I personally thought that the club doesn't really care about the away fans and I thought it was very badly ran. What's everyone else's thoughts who was in the top tier of the away stand?

I knew the upper concourse was small from reading the football ground guide but just how narrow was a bit of a surprise. 

It wasn't exactly the most fan friendly experience and with just a single serving area it took about 10 minutes to navigate the queue from back to front for a pre match cuppa.

As for the lack of alcohol, I have to admit, sorry, the amount of moaning and whining from those around me that you couldn't buy an over priced pint of generic lager,cider,bitter which you'd have to neck before leaving the tiny concourse, got right on my nerves. I kept thinking get over it. You have a drink in pubs before the game, you come to the ground to watch the match.

Yes, the upper tier is rubbish compared to a number of grounds but the most disappointing aspect of the night took place down on the pitch, not in the back of the stand.

I am a season ticket holder at Villa. I sit in the upper tier, nearer the half way line.

Whilst I don't think that teams are overly bothered about away fans, there are a couple of points about the upper tier at Villa.

Firstly, when the stand was originally built, it was not intended to accommodate away fans. This is why there is no bar in the away section upstairs (I understand that there is one downstairs.

Secondly, the concourse is narrow due to the gradient of the stand. Bear in mind that the road is directly behind it so there was no scope for going further back. It was originally just a small single tier stand. The advantage (and one of the reasons why I sit there) is that there is more leg room in that upper tier than in any other part of the ground, due to how steep it is. I know that away fans usually stand but from a sitting perspective, it is perfect.

Finally, as alluded to, the beer sold is atrocious in any case. I am not a cider drinker but on the odd occasion I buy a drink there, I will have a small bottle of cider, rather than the lager that is sold, which costs almost £4. This is not just Villa though-Every away ground I've been to sells awful beer at inflated prices.

I would have thought that the view for an away fan up there would be as good as anywhere though. 

Archived