IGNORED

4-4-2?

Beni71

Given our inability to stop the flow of goals, should we go gung ho on sat and play two up top and somehow Include Tomlin in the mix and look to out score Burton? 

Alterantively try and keep it tight and edge the win? 

In my view options for change include 2 of the following 3 players Wilbraham, Smith and Reid. We struggled to get players in the box from open play last night so need something different. 

3 minutes ago, Taz said:

Who knows what formation we'll be playing. Johnson only finds out himself about ten minutes before the game, and that's the result of eenie meanie miney mo!!

Duck duck goose isn't it? Players with most energy start 

3 minutes ago, Tammys Scan said:

Duck duck goose isn't it? Players with most energy start 

I have heard that that method is also favoured. Toss of the coin decides the method of picking the formation I think.

Trouble is, he's not yet realised it's a double sided coin and is amazed he's had the same result for so long :facepalm:

6 minutes ago, Taz said:

I have heard that that method is also favoured. Toss of the coin decides the method of picking the formation I think.

Trouble is, he's not yet realised it's a double sided coin and is amazed he's had the same result for so long :facepalm:

It's a double headed coin. He always picks tails.

Let's try to think of the least likely player, consigned to the rubbish bin, who can miraculously come back to the top of Lee's list. Step up Gustav - Lee will get a flash of 'inspiration' and you're on for saturday son. No less likely than Wilbs, Korey and Reid suddenly back in favour last weekend.

25 minutes ago, Taz said:

Who knows what formation we'll be playing. Johnson only finds out himself about ten minutes before the game, and that's the result of eenie meanie miney mo!!

On that basis does the infamous SLO pick the team as it is on twitter and facebook an hour before kick off.

Actually - beating in mind the Radio Bristol debacle is Adam actually Jeff Dunham and he is in charge ?

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

Let's try to think of the least likely player, consigned to the rubbish bin, who can miraculously come back to the top of Lee's list. Step up Gustav - Lee will get a flash of 'inspiration' and you're on for saturday son. No less likely than Wilbs, Korey and Reid suddenly back in favour last weekend.

In a perverse way, I'd be pissed off if Gustav got the nod on Saturday, scored a couple and went on to save us from relegation.  I'd be delighted for him, but it would further smack of LJ's ineptness (polite).

I bet McCoulsky gets the nod ahead of Gustav.

8 hours ago, Neo said:

On that basis does the infamous SLO pick the team as it is on twitter and facebook an hour before kick off.

Actually - beating in mind the Radio Bristol debacle is Adam actually Jeff Dunham and he is in charge ?

Could be onto something there...

10 hours ago, Beni71 said:

Given our inability to stop the flow of goals, should we go gung ho on sat and play two up top and somehow Include Tomlin in the mix and look to out score Burton? 

In my view options for change include 2 of the following 3 players Wilbraham, Smith and Reid. We struggled to get players in the box from open play last night so need something different. 

3.5.2 only system worth trying 

The system doesn't matter anyway. Over these last 5 months we've started with 4-5 different formations. You can play 442 and keep the opposition at bay. You can play 451 and be prolific. For us, the same problems occur no matter the formation. We drop too deep and defend too narrow off the ball and don't commit enough bodies forward when we get it. We will have 55-60% possession Saturday and we'll probably create a few chances. If we are lucky(haven't been lately) well score a few but we aren't clinical when we get chances. 

Then when Burton get the chance they'll get bodies forward. They'll have a few counter attacks where they have players sprinting past us as we only jog leaving our centre halves exposed. If we stop the counter attack they will work the ball to the wings and get crosses in. If we are lucky(we haven't been lately) we will head everything away and keeper will catch many of the crosses. If not, well it won't be a great day. Those crosses will come in though as we don't close out quick enough. 

Back on topic, the formation doesn't change the lack of urgency everyone has. Now the lack of urgency problem is probably down to instruction and we've had the conversation on who makes those. 442 sounds great but when we play it, it's usually 8 defenders and we rely on 2 strikers to create something against 5 players. Oh and Cotterill will sometimes get up there too because he seems too good a footballer to let someone coach it out of him. 

I watched Brighton the other night play 442 and press Newcastle. While they lost in the end, it took a bit of luck to do so and for most of the game bossed pressing one of the best teams in the division. They have one of the best defenses playing 442. You can defend and press no matter the formation. You need fitness and a plan for pressing. Not sure we have enough of either. So I don't know what the best formation is to win for us. I think this is why everyone is calling for the coach to go because it seems his only ideas for turning this around is swapping formations and players. It might pick you up a point here and there but our lack of identity on the pitch is why we struggle. We had one early in the season and he changed it and we've struggled from that point on. 

15 hours ago, Beni71 said:

We need to score goals and we are at home two strikers its Burton not Brighton

Archived