IGNORED

The run in...

FNQ

I think that on paper at least we've got a better run in than Wigan or Burton...

Time to really get behind the manager and the boys on Saturday... If we lose then for whoever is in charge going forward it'll be a big ask...

Am I being overly optimistic? (Jeeez optimistic about finishing 4th from bottom....)

CITY   WIGAN     BURTON      

BURTON (H) 3 BLACKBURN (A) 0 CITY (A)   0  
  NORWICH (H) 1 BIRMINGHAM (A) 0 WEDNESDAY (A) 0  
  WIGAN (A) 1 CITY (H)   1 FOREST (H) 1  
  HUDDER (H) 0 VILLA (H)   1 BRENTFORD (H) 1  
  BRENTFORD (A) 0 NEWCASTLE (A) 0 HUDDERS (A) 0  
  PRESTON (A) 1 IPSWICH (A) 0 NEWCASTLE (A) 0  
  WOLVES (H) 3 ROTHERHAM (H) 3 VILLA (H)   1  
  QPR (H) 3 BARNSLEY (H) 3 IPSWICH (H) 3  
  BLACKBURN (A) 1 BRIGHTON (A) 0 BIRMINGHAM (A) 0  
  BARNSLEY (H) 1 CARDIFF (H) 3 LEEDS (H)   1  
  BRIGHTON (A) 0 READING (A) 0 BARNSLEY (A) 0  
  BIRMINGHAM (H) 1 LEEDS (H)   1 READING (H) 1  

15     12     8  
  CURRENT 33     31     36  

48     43     44  

1 hour ago, FNQ said:

I think that on paper at least we've got a better run in than Wigan or Burton...

Time to really get behind the manager and the boys on Saturday... If we lose then for whoever is in charge going forward it'll be a big ask...

Am I being overly optimistic? (Jeeez optimistic about finishing 4th from bottom....)

CITY   WIGAN     BURTON      

15     12     8  
  CURRENT 33     31     36  

48     43     44  

Just as a matter of interest , what do you think is going to cause this dramatic upturn in our form.?

This will come over as negative, but...

The above form (which is markedly better than anything we've shown for months) leaves us on 48, while our opposition seemingly fall off a cliff, despite markedly better recent form from Wigan, Blackburn and Burton (also noted you'd not included Blackburn, who I feel are on the upswing again after managerial change).

Even with all that considered, all it would take is for one of those two to get another win, or for us to lose a game you marked us as winning or a couple where we get a point; notably, if we draw with Burton and lose to Wigan, immediately we go to 44 points and both Burton and Wigan go to 45 points (and I think you're already low balling their potential final totals; not so sure about us).

SL spoke about things going down to "the wire"; we're there.

Burton is an incredibly significant game; LJ has called it a must win, and I agree - because as much as it may not be in terms of our safety (we could still pull it back, and may even be above the drop at 5pm sat if results go our way), if we cannot beat Burton, I do not see how we can keep LJ on anything more than utter blind faith.

Burton or bust for him, I think.

57 minutes ago, Doozerchris said:

Just as a matter of interest , what do you think is going to cause this dramatic upturn in our form.?

Well beating Burton, QPR and Wolves at home should in my mind at least be achievable.. Out of interest how do you think that we'll go on these three?

17 minutes ago, samo II said:

The above form (which is markedly better than anything we've shown for months) leaves us on 48, while our opposition seemingly fall off a cliff, despite markedly better recent form from Wigan, Blackburn and Burton (also noted you'd not included Blackburn, who I feel are on the upswing again after managerial change).

Even with all that considered, all it would take is for one of those two to get another win, or for us to lose a game you marked us as winning or a couple where we get a point; notably, if we draw with Burton and lose to Wigan, immediately we go to 44 points and both Burton and Wigan go to 45 points (and I think you're already low balling their potential final totals; not so sure about us).

Burton is an incredibly significant game; LJ has called it a must win, and I agree - because as much as it may not be in terms of our safety (we could still pull it back, and may even be above the drop at 5pm sat if results go our way), if we cannot beat Burton, I do not see how we can keep LJ on anything more than utter blind faith.

That's my point... Burton or bust for all I of us I think...

We are down. We have shown nothing like that kind of form for months, its time to start preparing for league 1 football i fear. I never thought after the SOD disaster that we would sleepwalk our way out of this league and its happening again only a few years later.

25 minutes ago, FNQ said:

Yup.

We have just over a quarter of the season left, and starting Saturday we need to show form in that quarter that is significantly improved on what we've displayed in the last half a season's worth of matches, and hope that our direct competition dips.

Without mincing words; we need to beat both Burton and Wigan (I don't think I'm alone in effectively writing off the Norwich game), otherwise I think the odds will be against us.

If we don't win against Burton, and the board/owner doesn't make a decisive move, then I think we're locked in with LJ, come rain, shine, hail, snow, you name it.

And I think we'll be relegated with LJ in charge, and much-spoken of SL's ambitions will flounder on the fact that third tier football won't support 'The Project', unfortunately.

2 hours ago, FNQ said:

CITY   WIGAN     BURTON      

15     12     8  
  CURRENT 33     31     36  

48     43     44  

Well I wont be betting on the first one and Norwich will tear us apart, Wolves and QPR we never beat them we will be lucky to get anything from them; 15pts nah we will be lucky to get 10; can see Burton winning most of their home games and picking up points away starting Sat.

We should win on Sat (that means nothing) but cant see us winning any more at home or away come to that;

Its so sad its come to this; all due to SL and his pride and LJ`s inability to manage and man up and take responsibility.

WE ARE GOING DOWN WITH LJ (to build will be the plan/excuse no doubt)

22 minutes ago, Big Red Rich said:

We are down. We have shown nothing like that kind of form for months, its time to start preparing for league 1 football i fear. I never thought after the SOD disaster that we would sleepwalk our way out of this league and its happening again only a few years later.

I understand your thinking and without doubt our form needs to improve - but it is ridiculous to declare "we are down" when we are in 21st spot with 12 games still to play.

We have kept with LJ too long, were ****** if we win on Saturday because he will stay, and were ****** on Saturday if we lose. SL needs to take responsibility for allowing it to get to this point, with the best squad of players I have seen at city in 20 odd years.

I'm afraid, were already down.

7 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Well I wont be betting on the first one and Norwich will tear us apart, Wolves and QPR we never beat them we will be lucky to get anything from them; 15pts nah we will be lucky to get 10; can see Burton winning most of their home games and picking up points away starting Sat.

We should win on Sat (that means nothing) but cant see us winning any more at home or away come to that;

Its so sad its come to this; all due to SL and his pride and LJ`s inability to manage and man up and take responsibility.

WE ARE GOING DOWN WITH LJ (to build will be the plan/excuse no doubt)

Glad to hear that you won't be betting on the Burton game... You've got them picking up away points and then in the next breath us beating them...

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I understand your thinking and without doubt our form needs to improve - but it is ridiculous to declare "we are down" when we are in 21st spot with 12 games still to play.

You went to Toon did we not get battered 2nd half ?  have you seen anything to believe it will improve anytime soon; without doubt we have the players but they are leaderless; we need 4/5 wins min cannot see where they will come from.......can you?

4 minutes ago, FNQ said:

Glad to hear that you won't be betting on the Burton game... You've got them picking up away points and then in the next breath us beating them... we should beat them

I said we should beat them that dosent mean we will;

1 hour ago, glos old boy said:

You went to Toon did we not get battered 2nd half ?  have you seen anything to believe it will improve anytime soon; without doubt we have the players but they are leaderless; we need 4/5 wins min cannot see where they will come from.......can you?

I didn't go to Newcastle but I was at Villa and we were a shambles in the second half. I completely agree it doesn't look good at all, and I certainly wouldn't bet on our survival - but it's still premature to declare "we're down", because we're not.

Basically I'm just not a fan of any post that states an opinion as if it was a fact.

I think they are all winnable. We just need to play an 11 we can rely on who will give us the energy we need. Our performances recently have been top drawer and we're working on adding that extra 1%/2% every day in training. It's fine margins for me but I'm sure we'll be safe by the time we play Preston away. 

7 hours ago, FNQ said:

CITY   WIGAN     BURTON      

15     12     8  
  CURRENT 33     31     36  

48     43     44  

Dont want to piss on your cornflakes id love you to be right but we never beat wolves or qpr home

7 hours ago, FNQ said:

CITY   WIGAN     BURTON      

15     12     8  
  CURRENT 33     31     36  

48     43     44  

Won't draw with Norwich 

Wont beat Wolves or QPR (could draw) 

Lose at Preston as well 

So you can probably take 6 points off that and end us on 42 points. 

Hello Lg1 again 

5 hours ago, Big Red Rich said:

We actually won a few at home under him and were in touch until about mid March...and then it fell off a cliff.

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We actually won a few at home under him and were in touch until about mid March...and then it fell off a cliff.

Wolves away that season was the killer; tamely losing to a relegation rival knocked the life out of the side.

Both the Burton and Wigan look like similar key games this time atound; I pray that we avoid the same sort of moral-ruining results in those games, as without four to six points in the bag after them, I honestly think we'll go down.

1 minute ago, samo II said:

Wolves away that season was the killer; tamely losing to a relegation rival knocked the life out of the side.

Both the Burton and Wigan look like similar key games this time atound; I pray that we avoid the same sort of moral-ruining results in those games, as without four to six points in the bag after them, I honestly think we'll go down.

That's it- I remember I was away that day scrolling my phone delighted we were a goal up at Wolves- and then to my horror about 5 mins later, when I got some reception again we were 2-1 down. The 2 goals in 2 minutes hammered the final nail in.

I think 4 points from those 2- win at home to Burton, tense draw at Wigan. Also think we will survive- just and I mean just.

Unless there is a change that I quite honestly don't see coming there is no way we're beating Wolves and QPR, unlikely to get a draw against Norwich and I can see us losing to Wigan which is essentially a 6 pointer. Put simply, unless Johnson goes and we get someone in fast we're League One next season.

Actually I don't even think we will make 42 points.

Just can't see us having the fight in the big games against Blackburn, Wigan, Burton. Let alone trying to pick points up away at Preston.

Think we can draw a few and get ourselves to 40 points.

7 hours ago, samo II said:

Well LJ has backed down from that statement today when asked if it was a must win game he said "Is it disaster if we draw, of course not, if we win fantastic, but main thing is we go in with a mentality of winning"

We were playing better earlier in the season when we first met these clubs, so let's mirror those results when we were happier team / fans / manager

Bristol City  v  Burton Albion                                3

Bristol City  v  Norwich City                                 0

Wigan Athletic  v  Bristol City                               3

Bristol City  v  Huddersfield Town                         3

Brentford  v  Bristol City                                      0

Preston North End  v  Bristol City                         0

Bristol City  v  Wolverhampton Wanderers             0

Bristol City  v  Queens Park Rangers                    0

Blackburn Rovers v  Bristol City                           3

Bristol City  v  Barnsley                                       1

Brighton & Hove Albion  v  Bristol City                  0

Bristol City  v  Birmingham City                            0

So if we take our era of better form we got 13 points against these teams we will have 46 points (and we are nowhere near our earlier form) - safety, 45-47 points - so it's going to be seat of your pants stuff - unless of course we lose to Blackburn and Wigan and then it's adios.

I remember looking at the fixtures this time last year and thinking we'd never get out of it

Did anyone predict us beating Weds 4-1 at this point 12 months ago? Of course not

So, what was the difference between this year and last year......a new manager, of course. Albeit a little further down the road

I agree with the OP that we will be safe (but I will do a 360 degree change if we don't get 3 points saturday)

Discounting Rotherham who are down IMHO no matter what, my view is this:

We certainly have the "easist" run in of the 3 listed on paper. In terms of what I class as "top teams", we are playing 3 of them, Wigan face 5 of them and Burton have to face 6 of them. Blackburn have a similar run in to us. Wolves are also in real danager too and have to play at least 5 of the top teams. I think Forest have enough of a gap to be okay.

Our form is far worst then everyone around us (other than Wolves who are on a similar shocking run (wolves have 1 win and 5 losses in last 6 games). 

My view is that with our "easier" run in, the fact we cannot get worse, we have a better/bigger sqaud then those around us and Saturday is win/win, 3 points takes us a big step froward, anything less then 3 points and I think it will prompt a manager change and a probably quick turn around in results...

43 minutes ago, Fiale said:

We were playing better earlier in the season when we first met these clubs, so let's mirror those results when we were happier team / fans / manager

Bristol City  v  Burton Albion                                3

Bristol City  v  Norwich City                                 0

Wigan Athletic  v  Bristol City                               3

Bristol City  v  Huddersfield Town                         3

Brentford  v  Bristol City                                      0

Preston North End  v  Bristol City                         0

Bristol City  v  Wolverhampton Wanderers             0

Bristol City  v  Queens Park Rangers                    0

Blackburn Rovers v  Bristol City                           3

Bristol City  v  Barnsley                                       1

Brighton & Hove Albion  v  Bristol City                  0

Bristol City  v  Birmingham City                            0

So if we take our era of better form we got 13 points against these teams we will have 46 points (and we are nowhere near our earlier form) - safety, 45-47 points - so it's going to be seat of your pants stuff - unless of course we lose to Blackburn and Wigan and then it's adios.

We lost at Huddersfield, so it would only be 10 points if we replicated the same results. I doubt 43 points will be enough to survive. 

9 hours ago, FNQ said:

Well beating Burton, QPR and Wolves at home should in my mind at least be achievable.. Out of interest how do you think that we'll go on these three?

Beating or getting results against Villa, Fulham, Forest, Cardiff(home&away), Wolves, Brentford, Ipswich, QPR and Birmingham should have been been achievable and we lost the lot, I have zero faith that we can beat Burton let alone QPR and Wolves, sorry I wish I could I really do.

11 hours ago, FNQ said:

A win against Burton will not make much difference with us and Blackburn, if Blackburn win also;

I take it you are going for Wigan and Burton to go down with Rotherham ? your chart also seems to rely on us beating both QPR and Wolves at home.

58 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

A win against Burton will not make much difference with us and Blackburn, if Blackburn win also;

I take it you are going for Wigan and Burton to go down with Rotherham ? your chart also seems to rely on us beating both QPR and Wolves at home.

Yes, I think Blackburn will continue to improve with their new manager on board and I think the two games that Wolves have in hand on us will be too tough to counter... Although they've lost their last four... I've just read above that LJ does not necessarily think that Saturday is a must win.... I do. With, in my mind at least, Wolves and Blackburn pulling away, a 5 point gap on Burton will be too much.

1 hour ago, FNQ said:

Yes, I think Blackburn will continue to improve with their new manager on board and I think the two games that Wolves have in hand on us will be too tough to counter... Although they've lost their last four... I've just read above that LJ does not necessarily think that Saturday is a must win.... I do. With, in my mind at least, Wolves and Blackburn pulling away, a 5 point gap on Burton will be too much.

Yet you think we will beat Wolves and QPR at home, in fact your survival plan depends on it.......so add Wolves and QPR to Burton as must win games then.

16 hours ago, FNQ said:

CITY   WIGAN     BURTON      

15     12     8  
  CURRENT 33     31     36  

48     43     44  

Agree, we ain't going down.

12 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Yet you think we will beat Wolves and QPR at home, in fact your survival plan depends on it.......so add Wolves and QPR to Burton as must win games then.

Based on my outlook (as dodgy as it may be) if we lose to Burton we end up with 45pts and they will have 47pts... If we beat Burton but lose to either Wolves or QPR (not both) and everything else stays the same then we'll end up on 45pts and Burton will still be on 44pts, even a draw against Wolves and QPR may be enough for us if goal difference is in our favour... So the Burton game for me is a massive 6 pointer.

2 minutes ago, FNQ said:

Based on my outlook (as dodgy as it may be) if we lose to Burton we end up with 45pts and they will have 47pts... If we beat Burton but lose to either Wolves or QPR (not both) and everything else stays the same then we'll end up on 45pts and Burton will still be on 44pts, even a draw against Wolves and QPR may be enough for us if goal difference is in our favour... So the Burton game for me is a massive 6 pointer.

Alright mate, we wont talk about Wigan v us hopefully a new manager will bring new hope before then.

Well, out of desperation I've thrown Wolves into the mix because they're on a bit of a run... 5 straight losses and all by the single goal....:sad26:

It all feels a bit like being sat on death row waiting for an unlikely 12th hour reprieve but just having been served up a sh@t sandwich as your last meal.... Anyway, bring it on....

CITY
  WIGAN     BURTON       WOLVES    

NORWICH (H) 1 BIRMINGHAM (A) 0 WEDNESDAY (A) 0   IPSWICH (A) 1
  WIGAN (A) 1 CITY (H)   1 FOREST (H) 1   ROTHERHAM (H) 3
  HUDDER (H) 0 VILLA (H)   1 BRENTFORD (H) 1   BRENTFORD (A) 0
  BRENTFORD (A) 0 NEWCASTLE (A) 0 HUDDERS (A) 0   FULHAM (A) 0
  PRESTON (A) 1 IPSWICH (A) 0 NEWCASTLE (A) 0   CARDIFF (H) 3
  WOLVES (H) 3 ROTHERHAM (H) 3 VILLA (H)   1   FOREST (H) 1
  QPR (H) 3 BARNSLEY (H) 3 IPSWICH (H) 3   CITY (A) 0
  BLACKBURN (A) 1 BRIGHTON (A) 0 BIRMINGHAM (A) 0   BRIGHTON (H) 0
  BARNSLEY (H) 1 CARDIFF (H) 3 LEEDS (H)   1   LEEDS (A)   0
  BRIGHTON (A) 0 READING (A) 0 BARNSLEY (A) 0   BLACKBURN (H) 1