IGNORED

Where does LJ need to improve the most?

Flagon

I cannot see SL keeping LJ if we do go down, so assuming we stay up what does LJ need to improve on the most in order to for us progress and become a force in this league?

I still feel we are a few players short which you would expect to be sorted over the summer but even with new recruits LJ is going to have to drastically improve to get what we need from them.

For me there are a couple of fundamental flaws linked flaws. 

I said in an earlier thread near the beginning of the season when we were digging out results that he appeared to be good at making the changes mid game which ended up getting results. However, I also said that this can't be relied on and he needs to have the right team from the off. Gradually as the season has worn on its become evident that he now cannot rely on it and it now feels for me that he has lost this ability for a long period of time. So for me, finding that settled first 11 is critical. Subs for me are really for injuries, players walking a tightrope on yellow cards, red cards or where it's gone completely wrong. There needs to be a preferred team structure where subs just slot in knowing their exact role. I don't know who does our pre match opposition analysis but how many times have you turned up and within 10 minutes or even sooner have turned to someone and say this isn't going to work? We can try to be clever, all teams have weaknesses but we don't seem to be able to find them from the off so we have to have faith in a system I think and play to it. Force the oppositions hand.

Following on from this I don't think we have a team that can be completely changed around all the time, we just about have a team that can cover the odd injury here and there. We have a regular batch of first teamers that have a run or two of decent games, have a poor game and they are out the first 11 altogether - or in Engvals case it doesn't really matter.  This has then impacted available substitutes as players you would think would be good to bring on to either close out a game or maybe inject something into it are inexplicably out of the squad altogether.

I have only missed a couple of games, and only attended a few away games but I have rarely seen us completely outclassed this season. We've created plenty of opportunities most games to have got something out of them. 

However, now we are nearing the end of the season we have had the worrying trend of not being able to hang on to a lead, and now even more worrying an inability to get back into a game. That combination can only lead to one thing and will continue to be the case if fundamental things are not learned by LJ fast.

We all talk about if it was us in our job we would either not get away with it or be put on some fast track training so what do you feel LJ has to learn?

Almost all a good manager should be.From having a quality backroom staff to inspiring the players he puts on the pitch.

Sadly at this moment in time he has none of them, and stop using the awful soundbites,fine margins,corridor of uncertainty and bomb alley to name a few.

What a surprise a thread witha well thought out post is being taken over with posts just saying for Johnson to leave.

We get the point, you want him out, most on here do, but the thread isn't about whether you want him to stay or go it is asking what apsects he needs to improve on with regards to his management here.

Starting to think there's a number on here who are either illiterate or lack the cognative thought to get past "HURR DURR JOHNSON OUT DURRR" OK, you want him gone- put that to one side and try to come up with an actual response to the OP

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

What a surprise a thread witha well thought out post is being taken over with posts just saying for Johnson to leave.

We get the point, you want him out, most on here do, but the thread isn't about whether you want him to stay or go it is asking what apsects he needs to improve on with regards to his management here.

Starting to think there's a number on here who are either illiterate or lack the cognative thought to get past "HURR DURR JOHNSON OUT DURRR" OK, you want him gone- put that to one side and try to come up with an actual response to the OP

James, the point is we don't want him to improve here, we want him gone. We support Bristol City not Lee Johnson. While he's here, we think we are doomed.

If he improves things elsewhere, all strength to him and I wish him every success, somewhere else!

1 minute ago, 8menhadadream said:

James, the point is we don't want him to improve here, we want him gone. We support Bristol City not Lee Johnson. While he's here, we think we are doomed.

If he improves things elsewhere, all strength to him and I wish him every success, somewhere else!

Heres the thing, this thread doesnt mention at any point wanting to know if you want him gone or not, its asking what aspects he needs to improve on.

Just wondering is its the maturity or intelligence to give an actual answer to that which you lack.

I wanted Cotterill gone before he went, but could have given an answer to where I thought he could improve without having to say I wanted him gone.

1 hour ago, Flagon said:

I cannot see SL keeping LJ if we do go down, so assuming we stay up what does LJ need to improve on the most in order to for us progress and become a force in this league?

He needs to have an idea of what his starting eleven is and what our best formation is and give it time to blossom. He's being afforded the luxury of pretty much having more his own squad than any previous manager but every week the selection and formation is different. Week after week we look like a team who have never played together, with players not really understanding where each other is. That's fair really because most of them haven't played in a consistent selection and formation.

One of the key factors in Cotterill's promotion season was having the same side week in week out. Players instinctively knew where each other were.

10 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Heres the thing, this thread doesnt mention at any point wanting to know if you want him gone or not, its asking what aspects he needs to improve on.

Just wondering is its the maturity or intelligence to give an actual answer to that which you lack.

I wanted Cotterill gone before he went, but could have given an answer to where I thought he could improve without having to say I wanted him gone.

'Attack the post not the poster' James. 

As for the maturity and intelligence comment, it takes maturity and intellect to argue a point, it takes ignorance and downright stupidity to resort to personal attacks when the mantra of this forum is not to resort to personal abuse. We now know exactly which one describe you, eh.

I don't really care what areas LJ improves in next season as, hopefully, he won't be here.

1 minute ago, 8menhadadream said:

'Attack the post not the poster' James. 

As for the maturity and intelligence comment, it takes maturity and intellect to argue a point, it takes ignorance and downright stupidity to resort to personal attacks when the mantra of this forum is not to resort to personal abuse. We now know exactly which one describe you, eh.

I don't really care what LJ improves in next season as, hopefully, he won't be here.

I cant attack the post when you dont have it in you to make it can I? You had the perfect chance there to say "neither" and come up with a point, but you didnt.

If someone asked you how they might be able to improve a car design, simply saying "I dont drive" doesnt address what they asked, nor is it relevant. You can still have an opinion on how the car might be made to look better.

For me LJ needs to work on consistancy with his tactics and selections. Neither should be absolutely steadfast and a little rotation is good sqaud management, but LJ takes both too far.

I've argued a point, still waiting for you to manage that.

Oh, BTW that bolded part is you then throwing an insult back, even though you tried to disguise it by hiding it by 'only' inplying it. By your own reasoning you have just argued a case to say you are "ignorant and downright stupid".

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

I cant attack the post when you dont have it in you to make it can I? You had the perfect chance there to say "neither" and come up with a point, but you didnt.

If someone asked you how they might be able to improve a car design, simply saying "I dont drive" doesnt address what they asked, nor is it relevant. You can still have an opinion on how the car might be made to look better.

For me LJ needs to work on consistancy with his tactics and selections. Neither should be absolutely steadfast and a little rotation is good sqaud management, but LJ takes both too far.

I've argued a point, still waiting for you to manage that.

Oh, BTW that bolded part is you then throwing an insult back, even though you tried to disguise it by hiding it by 'only' inplying it. By your own reasoning you have just argued a case to say you are "ignorant and downright stupid".

Well done on rewriting the rules of the forum. If you care to look properly, a point was made.

I asked a question James, if you read it that I've 'abused you' then that's your problem, not mine. I also answered your query in saying that 'I don't really care what fields LJ improves in as I would hope he's not here'. That's called 'making a point'.

The rest of your post makes absolutely no sense at all and is not deserving of further response.

I'm bored of you and your aggressive nature now so consider yourself on the childish ignore list. 

This is what I wrote after the Birmingham match in November. (I should point out I am not longer a big fan of LJ)

On 2016-11-19 at 09:09, Redandy said:

I struggle with the constant changes of selection. Either LJ is a tactical genius or he still does not what his best team is.

Maybe a combination of both? 

I believe LJ sets his team up to play with more of a focus on their strengths rather than ours.  Different squad election for different teams depending on their personnel.  But it seems to me, it takes him 45 mins to work out the other team in game, then make his changes and we become a better side.

I think the stats bear this out.  We have consistently out performed teams in the second half.

Is it scouting?  Do we do a good enough job in this area.  When we watch tapes of the up coming opposition, do we do a good enough analysis?

This is an area we really need to improve upon, and if I have any criticism of LJ he needs to get our team setup better from the first whistle.

This should result in a better performance first half.

I am a big fan of LJ, and he is definitely on the right track.  I am hoping that the appointment of DH will give him the time needed to focus selecting the right team.

I am also a big fan of what the England cricket team is currently doing.  They currently hire consultants on short terms contracts to help the team in certain areas.  I am sure there is a wealth of knowledge out there ex players, ex managers that LJ can tap into.  I would like the club to explore this possibility.  If we are currently struggling defensively at set pieces, then approach say Lee Dixon.  2 week contract in a consultative capacity to help with Defensive structure. Just a thought.

Stevo

2 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

This is what I wrote after the Birmingham match in November. (I should point out I am not longer a big fan of LJ)

Maybe a combination of both? 

I believe LJ sets his team up to play with more of a focus on their strengths rather than ours.  Different squad election for different teams depending on their personnel.  But it seems to me, it takes him 45 mins to work out the other team in game, then make his changes and we become a better side.

I think the stats bear this out.  We have consistently out performed teams in the second half.

Is it scouting?  Do we do a good enough job in this area.  When we watch tapes of the up coming opposition, do we do a good enough analysis?

This is an area we really need to improve upon, and if I have any criticism of LJ he needs to get our team setup better from the first whistle.

This should result in a better performance first half.

I'm a big fan of LJ, and he is definitely on the right track.  I am hoping that the appointment of DH will give him the time needed to focus selecting the right team.

I am also a big fan of what the England cricket team is currently doing.  They currently hire consultants on short terms contracts to help the team in certain areas.  I am sure there is a wealth of knowledge out there ex players, ex managers that LJ can tap into.  I would like the club to explore this possibility.  If we are currently struggling defensively at set pieces, then approach say Lee Dixon.  2 week contract in a consultative capacity to help with Defensive structure. Just a thought.

Stevo

A very good post.

Frankly whether someone supports LJ anymore or not is completely irrelevant to this thread, but can see why you mentioned it in yours as its a contrast to when you initially posted whats in your answer.

Just looking at bit before the "I'm a big fan of LJ" line and its odd how this has become the opposite recently. We've been better in the first half of games but tailed off dreadfully. Wonder if on the training pitch therehas been more emphasis on knowing the formation and system before a game and less on fitbess exercises or something else which has lead to the flip in how our games are going

6 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

I will quote myself.  He hasn't managed to setup us up correctly all season allowing for the odd exception.  It looks far to complicated and the players simply do not know what they are doing and what their roles are.  Where as LJ changes formation 3 times in one half, SC didnt change the formation for 4000 minutes.  But at least in SC team you knew what you are doing.

LJ needs to go back to basics, as it looks like for the time being he is here to stay. Choose a formation.  Choose a starting 11. Stick with it.  Set them up correctly.  Drill it into them in training and start to deliver results.  No point running from 4-4-2 to 5-3-2 to 4-1-3-1-1 in the space of 5 mins.

Stevo

45 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Understand what you're saying, but 

What's the point in posters trying to suggest where he should improve if they believe he is a car crash and beyond 'improvement' or their is too much improvement required to even achieve 'competent' ?

1 minute ago, WayOutWest said:

I was.  I really wanted him to do well.

I think we all wanted him to.

Unfortunately it hasnt been working for a while and even I'm close to saying "enough is enough".

Just commending you for being able to get past the whole wanting him gone thing and posting a thought out response (even if it was an old one ;) )

I personally don't think LJ can improve,what you see is what you get,decent bloke,but totally out of his depth as a manager.What ever he tries at the moment just doesn't work,seems out of ideas,he needs to stop looking at our opposition and picking a team to counter them and play our own game,wha,t ever that is.

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Understand what you're saying, but 

What's the point in posters trying to suggest where he should improve if they believe he is a car crash and beyond 'improvement' or their is too much improvement required to even achieve 'competent' ?

The point is that it would be a response to the OP, rather than a singular statement which doesnt add to the debate in any way and is not relevant in the slightest.

(If someone said he needs to improve in too many areas to list, then of course that is relevant, but the posts such as the following add precisely nothing)

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

He needs to improve his writing skills to enable him to tender his long overdue resignation

1 hour ago, weymouth red said:

No improvement just leave

1 hour ago, rhonddared said:

Practicing queuing when he is sacked....

59 minutes ago, 8menhadadream said:

CV writing hopefully.

Not a single one of these things actually gives an answer to the question posed and just shows those individuals as incapable of being able to put "Johnson out" out of their mind long enough to think through and give an actual response.

Whether someone wants LJ here or not is entirely irrelevant to this thread. Perhaps I was a bit harsh in my wording but I'm fed up with it being said on every single thread, especially when it has nothing to do with half of those threads. Its almost becoming like nothing else can be discussed because before long someone will pop up on a thread- no matter the topic- and post something expressing their wishes to have Johnson sacked or some even creating alternative facts so they can slag him off (as if there wasnt reason to criticise already!). There have been hundreds of threads (probably not even an exaggeration any more) expressing "Johnson out" thoughts so why cant the threads where those thoughts are irrelevant manage more than a handful of posts before people start making it about that? Believe it or not I dont come on here to read the same statements being made over and over again

Archived