IGNORED

LJ and McWinless. The similarities are uncanny

Br 1st ol

8 hours ago, Mr Hankey said:

As bad as McInnes was, i think i would trust him with this team more than i would LJ.

My god. You are right. There will be one or two that will smile about that comment as I could not stand what McInnes did to this club. BUT he is without doubt head and shoulders (it was a turn of phrase) above LJ. 

OH WHAT HAVE WE DONE!

McInnes was undone by a couple of significant injuries. Stead was a big miss for long stretches of the 2012-13 season as he had been the talisman upfront when McInnes kept us up the season before. Likewise Cunningham was a major loss. A number of other players were poor and some were very inconsistent, but there is also no doubt that McInnes was expected to slash the wage costs as part of the 5 Pillars. It was mentioned more than a few times.

And when he took over from Millen we really were adrift at the bottom of the league even after just 10 games. 2 wins and a draw in his first 3 matches still left us 3 points from safety!

Certainly SOD was not an improvement on McInnes and probably a lot worse. SL has already intimated that he feels that he may have got rid of McInnes too swiftly and so is now giving LJ more time on that basis.

The only problem with that is that LJ was a fairly contentious appointment at the time, given his playing career here, mainly managed by his dad, and so was always likely to lead to some much stronger emotions should his tenure as head coach go badly. And so that's where we find ourselves...

3 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

McInnes was undone by a couple of significant injuries. Stead was a big miss for long stretches of the 2012-13 season as he had been the talisman upfront when McInnes kept us up the season before. Likewise Cunningham was a major loss. A number of other players were poor and some were very inconsistent, but there is also no doubt that McInnes was expected to slash the wage costs as part of the 5 Pillars. It was mentioned more than a few times.

And when he took over from Millen we really were adrift at the bottom of the league even after just 10 games. 2 wins and a draw in his first 3 matches still left us 3 points from safety!

Certainly SOD was not an improvement on McInnes and probably a lot worse. SL has already intimated that he feels that he may have got rid of McInnes too swiftly and so is now giving LJ more time on that basis.

The only problem with that is that LJ was a fairly contentious appointment at the time, given his playing career here, mainly managed by his dad, and so was always likely to lead to some much stronger emotions should his tenure as head coach go badly. And so that's where we find ourselves...

I believe he slashed it by half, thats some going in all fairness

1 minute ago, JHAGa said:

Both started well, were good blokes that spoke well to press/fans and then their inexperience showed when things got tough.

I'd probably prefer LJ over Del though.

I think it may have been too soon for Del coming here and having to contend with what was going on. The stint at Aberdeen right now is doing him the power of good, hopefully he'll get another shot at management down here again

Just now, Emperor Palpatine said:

I think it may have been too soon for Del coming here and having to contend with what was going on. The stint at Aberdeen right now is doing him the power of good, hopefully he'll get another shot at management down here again

Yeah, same can be said for LJ really.

I think Del has done a good (not excellent job) at Aberdeen. Finished 2nd in the SPL with Aberdeen a few times but worth recognising the strength of Rangers, Hearts and Hibs during that duration also.

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ah yeah, that match at Peterborough- I seem to recall Cunningham getting injured for a long while in that one- about 3 months was it?

I have only ever seen my Dad angrier on one occasion and that was at the Rose Bowl watching cricket.

But he was fuming we conceded 3 awful goals that day and he lost it because we had a player injured and we didn't kick the ball out proceeded to lose it and then concede.

That literally summed it up... the most naive display you could ever imagine. 

Don't get me wrong McInnis wasn't great at the end and we were going down. But he did have one of the most difficult tasks in getting rid of some useless deadwood players taking up a massive chunk of the wage bill. 

I feel sorry for him to be honest. It wasn't an easy job at the time.

Lets compare to LJ... 

Spends what he wants and has been allowed to recruit freely and keeps banging on about 3 windows! 

Where has that got us? Can't say he was better then McInnis 

15 hours ago, Br 1st ol said:

Both young managers

Both said to be visionaries

Both allegedly sought after

Both sought to establish pillars, frameworks etc and bought into the city plan

Both had mixed results with recruitment

Both failed to trust a settled team and formation 

Neither knew who were best the players and combinations and randomly changed for each game 

Both had terrible runs

One lost their job....

Identical i would say. 

Both utter utter shite and a shambles. 

10 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ah yeah, that match at Peterborough- I seem to recall Cunningham getting injured for a long while in that one- about 3 months was it?

Cole Skuse was also badly injured by the lump at striker, who we had on loan for a while. Cunningham was done by Mark Little. So we lost two players for some time.

18 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

We may well have spent £10 million, however we also sold around £17 million of our players, therefore we needed with a net spend of +2 million. 

I was told by a good source that Kodjia was always going and the fee was always known to be in excess of £10+

Thats the only reason we spent that much money in the window. Overall we made a profit, had we spent £15 million and kept Kodjia, Ayling etc.

We'd be in a much better position (15 goals extra plus a good right back)

It gets worse. So we always knew Kodjia was going and that we needed a couple of strikers anyway, yet didn't have an adequate replacements lined up?

Whilst Abraham has come in and exceeded expectation, we still needed another. (Engvall was said to be not ready so is discounted). 

Makes LJ AND MA bigger t*ats that I thought.   

Archived