IGNORED

Logan

The Coach

So I had the pleasure of watching this movie last night. I've been excited to see this since Hugh Jackman announced the movie along with the tag "Think Old Man Logan".

This is a very different type of Marvel movie. Definitely not a superhero mould, more just a lot of action and drama. They definitely lived up with the R rating, with more than a few swear words here and there. Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart, and our young starlet Dafne Keen all portray their characters well, adding the fact we see more character development within this story than any other Marvel movie.

It was also fantastic that we saw Logan in a new light, rather than just a fighting unstoppable animal we now see Logan as more of a mortal, his healing powers are fading away, he is now hurting from his wounds, which was very strange to witness at times. You could describe it as somewhat frustrating in a sense because of what you have seen of Logan in previous movies. So well done to the writers on this part. It was truly magnificent. 

However, I do think this movie has been vastly overrated by the critics, and is definitely more for the comic book fan. And I would admit I was somewhat disappointed. The movie goes well on for over 2 hours, and there were parts where I felt I was drifting off, but managed to stay awake. The actual entire storyline is somewhat weak, with a few plot holes here and there which were never explained. I definitely think the movie could of done better storyline wise. But after the movie I believe the whole point of the movie felt more as if it was a tribute to Hugh Jackman playing Logan after so many years. The ending was a fitting tribute to the man who first portrayed the character 17 years old. It's absolutely incredible Hugh has kept himself in such good shape in all that time. You would very much hope they do not bring back the character of Wolverine for a VERY VERY long time. As we will not witness a greater fit with the character, such as Hugh Jackman.

8/10 rating for me.

Seeing this on Monday, looking forward to it - some good films out this month Logan, Kong Island, Ghost in the Shell, Beauty and the Beast (i know i know, the sins of having lots of young extended family). Not forgetting Sing and Lego Batman movies are still in cinema.

26 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Seeing this on Monday, looking forward to it - some good films out this month Logan, Kong Island, Ghost in the Shell, Beauty and the Beast (i know i know, the sins of having lots of young extended family). Not forgetting Sing and Lego Batman movies are still in cinema.

If you're seeing a late viewing I'd recommend caffeine before hand and to make sure you empty your bladder.

I still enjoyed it. But I was expecting better and me giving 8/10 was generous due to the circumstances of the film.

Glad it's not another stock Marvel film. Deadpool was great as it broke their usual mould. Looking forward to seeing this one next week and saying farewell to him, he's really made that role his own. Very difficult to replace him, so for now, just keep making more Deadpool, it's the next best thing.

1 minute ago, Gazred said:

Glad it's not another stock Marvel film. Deadpool was great as it broke their usual mould. Looking forward to seeing this one next week and saying farewell to him, he's really made that role his own. Very difficult to replace him, so for now, just keep making more Deadpool, it's the next best thing.

You wouldn't think it's a Marvel film at all in some way. It's very different indeed. Much different to Deadpool also.

I guess they had a formula that worked with X-Men/Wolverine/Avengers etc but they shouldn't have waited so long to make a proper Logan story. Even The Wolverine ends up back in familiar territory after a promising start.

It's like comparing Chris Nolan's Batman to Tim Burtons! The character by definition is dark, tortured and has a nasty habit of impaling people with spikes that come out of his hands. Total compromise to market it to the masses. It's shame they've gone gritty right at the end of his run.

1 hour ago, Gazred said:

I guess they had a formula that worked with X-Men/Wolverine/Avengers etc but they shouldn't have waited so long to make a proper Logan story. Even The Wolverine ends up back in familiar territory after a promising start.

It's like comparing Chris Nolan's Batman to Tim Burtons! The character by definition is dark, tortured and has a nasty habit of impaling people with spikes that come out of his hands. Total compromise to market it to the masses. It's shame they've gone gritty right at the end of his run.

The whole Wolverine series should of been rated R really. I'm wondering now if Marvel will put the X-Men series to bed for a decade or so. I wasn't a fan of Apocalypse, and now would be a good time for some rest after this movie. The ending of it did signify that Marvel were done.

They could of course carry on with X-23 and run with the X-Force storylines. But I think personally not, leave it for now. I wouldn't rule out a X-23 movie however in the future.

Saw it last night and loved it, felt like a true Wolverine film! Surprised it didn't get an 18 certificate actually. As much as I'd love to see Wolverine teaming up with the likes of Punisher and Spider Man in the MCU, I think Fox are now starting to find their form with X Men (apart from Apocalypse) and won't give up the properties that easily. That being said, they are running low on avenues on which to take them.

Also, the MCU are starting their whole Inhumans theme now which is essentially the mutant storyline? I was hoping Fantastic Four was going to explore crossing into other dimensions and possibly link up the two Marvel universes but that was wishful thinking. 

Legion on Fox is definitely worth a watch in the meantime, even Agents of Shield is pretty enjoyable and has Ghost Rider in it now. I'm just looking forward to The Punisher series-my all time favourite Marvel character. 

10 hours ago, Red_Wizard said:

The whole Wolverine series should of been rated R really. I'm wondering now if Marvel will put the X-Men series to bed for a decade or so. I wasn't a fan of Apocalypse, and now would be a good time for some rest after this movie. The ending of it did signify that Marvel were done.

They could of course carry on with X-23 and run with the X-Force storylines. But I think personally not, leave it for now. I wouldn't rule out a X-23 movie however in the future.

You do realise that every X-Men and Deadpool film is made by fox right? Marvel Studios has no creative control over the films produced. 

Personally I thought its the best X-Men related film that's been made so far, and we haven't seen the last of some of the characters from the film, 8.5/10.

14 hours ago, hodge said:

You do realise that every X-Men and Deadpool film is made by fox right? Marvel Studios has no creative control over the films produced. 

Personally I thought its the best X-Men related film that's been made so far, and we haven't seen the last of some of the characters from the film, 8.5/10.

Nope, no idea who owns what. I just watch the movies. 

The movie had some great easter eggs. One scene had an easter egg right beer the end. And I believe I was the only one who noticed. But I will not say what yet.

What else do you think they could possibly do with certain characters?

On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 11:17, Fiale said:

Jeez that Lego Batman was a very long 104 minutes! Still the lad loved it.

14 hours ago, Fiale said:

ha ha yeah, my nephew loves batman and lego and when these films come out he gets so excited we fear he'll explode.

Same as my lad, Power rangers film is out soon!

Archived