IGNORED

Double Relegation

where's the joy

3 hours ago, Rule The Waves said:

Errr;

Jonathan Thomas as defence coach - not coached before. Defence as bad as it was in the Chumpionship.

Dwayne Peel as attack coach - not coached before. 

The rugby club may be throwing more money around relatively speaking, but after 6 years in the Chumpionship the way they allowed the club to go into this season so woefully underprepared and devoid of enough quality in the playing and coaching dept has been the reason they have failed. And they haven't failed by a little bit, as the game against Wuss showed today, they have cone up a long way short in every department.

Fair points, I was thinking more of having an ex-England Head Coach in Andy Robinson and now going for Pat Lam as examples of having experienced men at the very top.

I don't follow it closely enough to keep an eye on the appointments below, but I'd argue that someone must think that Peel is doing a good enough job as he's off to Ulster next year. Equally, the money was there to attract Steve Borthwick before his about turn to join the RFU.

Throughout the season they've also added some quality in Woodward and Piatau and it looks like Mathewson is a good player. It's a shame that they weren't there at the start of the season, but that's a combination of a shortened offseason due to the playoffs and the fact that two of these guys were playing down under and hadn't finished their season.

It just seems that SL is prepared to make a bigger splash in rugby. Is that down to them being in the Prem (for now) and therefore having a higher profile, or is it because SL feels he doesn't know as much about rugby so trusts his advisors/goes for the bigger name more often?

1 hour ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Fair points, I was thinking more of having an ex-England Head Coach in Andy Robinson and now going for Pat Lam as examples of having experienced men at the very top.

I don't follow it closely enough to keep an eye on the appointments below, but I'd argue that someone must think that Peel is doing a good enough job as he's off to Ulster next year. Equally, the money was there to attract Steve Borthwick before his about turn to join the RFU.

Throughout the season they've also added some quality in Woodward and Piatau and it looks like Mathewson is a good player. It's a shame that they weren't there at the start of the season, but that's a combination of a shortened offseason due to the playoffs and the fact that two of these guys were playing down under and hadn't finished their season.

It just seems that SL is prepared to make a bigger splash in rugby. Is that down to them being in the Prem (for now) and therefore having a higher profile, or is it because SL feels he doesn't know as much about rugby so trusts his advisors/goes for the bigger name more often?

Andy Robinson was a poor appointment; as a forwards coach he was probably the most respected in the world - as a DOR / Head Coach he has achieved nothing. At Championship level there were less experienced and less well paid coaches who would have done a lot better a lot sooner with the resources he had at his disposal. To take 6 years to get the club out of the Champ with the money he had available to him was ridiculous.

The other man who seems to have escaped criticism for the shambles this season is Chris Booy. When they were in the Champ he had the arrogance to spout off in the press about how they were building a Prem standard squad in the Championship so that as soon as promised they could compete. Anyone who thought that a squad which leaked tried at will in the Championship would be strong enough to keep them in the Prem should not be allowed near the management of a rugby club. You are correct in saying they have added some good players throughout the season, but that is largely because the squad they started the season with was so woefully short on quality.

I think the rugby club will be successful, and probably quicker than BCFC just because it is so much cheaper to do so in rugby than football, and because I believe SL is desperate to have something to show for the money he has put into both projects, but that success could and should have started this season at BRFC, but instead it has been an utter shambles.

54 minutes ago, Rule The Waves said:

The other man who seems to have escaped criticism for the shambles this season is Chris Booy. When they were in the Champ he had the arrogance to spout off in the press about how they were building a Prem standard squad in the Championship so that as soon as promised they could compete. Anyone who thought that a squad which leaked tried at will in the Championship would be strong enough to keep them in the Prem should not be allowed near the management of a rugby club. You are correct in saying they have added some good players throughout the season, but that is largely because the squad they started the season with was so woefully short on quality.

I think the rugby club will be successful, and probably quicker than BCFC just because it is so much cheaper to do so in rugby than football, and because I believe SL is desperate to have something to show for the money he has put into both projects, but that success could and should have started this season at BRFC, but instead it has been an utter shambles.

The rugby will probably bounce back and you do have to wonder if it will get more attention after the huge and continued losses on the football, with little to show for it.  Coincidentally (or not?) SL and Chris Booy went to the same rugby orientated school, a year or two apart (as did the future Mrs Lansdown) and I can't help but think rugby might have an even bigger part in the future of 'Bristol Sport'

Archived