IGNORED

Does the club need a review?

Inactive user

Does the club need a review?  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Interesting debate on on other threads of whether we just need to sack the Head Coach and move on or whether a more systematic review is needed to get to the root cause of our habitual failure and why manager after manager seems to fail.

So, irrespective of whether LJ is replaced, does the club need a review to identify the causes of systemic failure?

We now have a first rate stadium, good training facilities, a stable off-pitch situation, bigger crowds than we've seen in a generation, and no lack of money being spent on the team.

As far as I can see, all the ingredients are there for this club to establish itself as a Championship side and, eventually, beyond.

Therefore, the only problem I can see is the head coach, and a failure to appoint the right man. So I don't think we need a review, just a commitment to appointing a suitably qualified and experienced coach to match the ambition being shown elsewhere at the club.

Manager and the two first team coaches need to go - new head coach/manager and let him bring in two coaches as well. Keep that as the model going forward, they have no say in the other aspects of the club / players other than first team matters.

4 minutes ago, Bianconeri said:

Reviews are what spineless corporate managers commission when they have no ideas of their own. It's usually mistaken for 'decisive action' but is invariably 'we don't have a clue'.

Sounds perfect 

47 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

Absoloutely needs a review. Sadly though, you could argue that the introduction of "the five pillars" was a review and look where we are - right back in the same mess that conspired to forge those five pillars.

Exactly this

18 minutes ago, Bianconeri said:

Reviews are what spineless corporate managers commission when they have no ideas of their own. It's usually mistaken for 'decisive action' but is invariably 'we don't have a clue'.

In my experience it's usually a good sign that a business is prepared to challenge itself even if that brings a bit of pain.

Those who think they already know all the answers and can't learn and are unwilling to challenge themselves are dangerous.

Weaker businesses don't face up to it and continue in denial.

No. This is the same old reactionary stuff that gets trotted out every time things go wrong. It happened when SO'D was here too.

Why was it so quiet when Cotterill was here? Did the board suddenly learn how to run a football club then forget again? Probably not. They've made some poor choices but we've got a good structure in place with football people running football things, we just need a head coach who knows how to win matches.

18 months ago we appointed a Chief Executive responsible for football matters; since then we appointed a new cheif scout, have opened an expanded stadium, spent freely on players for the first team squad and under 23s/'the future'.  

We also appointed a young head coach who in his first few months managed to keep us in this league, which at the time of his arrival was the short term objective, and one he achieved.

In theory we should be in an excellent position to progress; we have the resources, backing and undoubted potential to improve on our league finish from last season.

All this considered: there is only one area where I believe we need any form of review, and that is the coaching of the first team squad and it's ability to get results.

Look at Burton; in pretty much every off-field aspect, from stadium to recruitment to non-game day income, I'd wager we blow them out of the water.

But in terms of having the staff to arrange and motivate the playing resources to get results in line with their ability, we are pretty much level with them. 

I realise some are trying to adjust the crosshairs and claim LJ is a symptom of some other problem, not a driver behind them.

And I think that is misdirection. 

LJ had his chance.  He's proven himself not up to the task.  He has to go.

17 hours ago, Kingswood Robin said:

We should be continually reviewing. New blood needed on the Board, it's all too cosy and familiar. We need some external personnel giving feedback, something like Non-Exec directors do in business.

Yep, that's what strong and well-run companies do, constantly challenging and checking themselves, adapting as necessary. You never get to the "dead wood" or "no new ideas" state.

Meanwhile.......

In answer to the thread title... Hell yes! From top to bottom. From the chairman, the coach, and the fitness instructors right the way down to the tea maker. No matter who we appoint or how much money we invest, the same old problems resurface and we spectacularly fail time after time after time.

We need to send somebody to spy behind the scenes at somewhere like Swansea, Burnley or Reading and see how they do things. Now those are tight ships that show us up for the complete shambolic turd that we are.

Sorry for the harsh words, but I'm disgusted with BCFC right now.

19 hours ago, Rednwhiterob said:

Interesting debate on on other threads of whether we just need to sack the Head Coach and move on or whether a more systematic review is needed to get to the root cause of our habitual failure and why manager after manager seems to fail.

So, irrespective of whether LJ is replaced, does the club need a review to identify the causes of systemic failure?

There is something fundamentally wrong at BCFC.

For a club with these resources to be unable to establish itself at level 2 status is piss poor.

We should be able to compete at Championship level: win some games, and be secure in the division. In essence I mean bang in mid table. The only reason we can't do this is poor oversight and poor choice of manager.

We have had matches where the cost of our substitutes is virtually the cost of the team we are playing, and we still lose. Losing matches from several goals up: should not happen.

Steve needs to take several more steps back. Yes - fund his toy club, but sit back and watch the fruits of his investment. They need to get proper football people in at a more senior level - not amateur fan / directors.

Above all they need to make the decision at board level to spend on a proper manager - and for Championship level that is not as expensive as people think. We are not talking a world beater - just someone proven to be successfull at Championship level.

I've said before - Steve will not permit this, as he wants to run the club too directly. He is a rich man, so get in some professionals, and stop employing your mates.

Do it Steve.

tfj  :protest:

Archived