IGNORED

Which player?

BCFChayden

I know it wasn't this season but once the news broke that we'd signed Bailey Wright from Preston I asked a massive Preston fan I know what Wright was like. 

His response was that Wright was a great centre back but not as good a defender as Gregg Cunningham. 

A player we let go for reasons beyond me at a time we had a paper thin squad. Oh for a better quality fullback now.

22 minutes ago, Tears in rain said:

One of the full backs take you pick 

One only I'm afraid.

23 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

I know it wasn't this season but once the news broke that we'd signed Bailey Wright from Preston I asked a massive Preston fan I know what Wright was like. 

His response was that Wright was a great centre back but not as good a defender as Gregg Cunningham. 

A player we let go for reasons beyond me at a time we had a paper thin squad. Oh for a better quality fullback now.

My player for me was Liam Fontaine I know won't this season. He was a cracking player

2 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Kodjia, boy do we miss him.

I anticipate the reply of 'our problem isn't scoring, Abraham has scored plenty' argument but Kodjia's role was more than that. He gave us pace to stretch the opposition which we've badly lacked. He gave us more than one option going forward. The more options you have going forward, the more the opposition have to worry about and can't afford to be as attacking themselves. Since he left, all opposition defences have had to do is make sure Abraham is tightly marked (who might I say has done exceptionally well to score so many goals considering the circumstances) and we will offer hardly any threat, which in turn has put more and more pressure on our defence and confidence has continued to drain throughout the team.

It's too simplistic to look at the goals scored and goals against stats and say it's all the defence's fault.

We sold our best player, most crucially without a replacement, a day before the window closed. We were clearly desperate to get a replacement (bidding £6.5M for Joe Mason) but most clubs had the sense we didn't in that they knew there would be nobody to replace that sort of player at that stage. Yes, Kodjia wanted to leave, but Suarez/Costa wanted to leave Liverpool/Chelsea respectively, those clubs stood firm and they proceeded to continue performing. I think the board and/or LJ got complacent after our reasonable start and thought we didn't need Kodjia. Wrong.

11 minutes ago, BCFChayden said:

One only I'm afraid.

My player for me was Liam Fontaine I know won't this season. He was a cracking player

Sorry I can't let this pass - surely you must remember how poor Fontaine was in his last 18 months at City - rabbit in a cars headlights doesn't come close to describing how he seemed whenever anyone attacked. 

If only he had gone to Southampton when they wanted him.

20 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Sorry I can't let this pass - surely you must remember how poor Fontaine was in his last 18 months at City - rabbit in a cars headlights doesn't come close to describing how he seemed whenever anyone attacked. 

If only he had gone to Southampton when they wanted him.

I ain't judging him just on his last 18 months. Have you seen how he is doing now? May only be Scotland but still. 

Archived