IGNORED

Steve Lansdown

Sparkz 76

Without Lansdown we would be playing in a shitty dilapidated Ashton gate , Players training facilities would probably be a porta cabin with a plough Field pitch , A lot of good things has happened under Steve Lansdowns ownership , Mckinnis , O Driscoll, Coppell are managers that most of us thought were good recruitments.

I am just hoping that Johnson is our equivalent of Alex Ferguson who nearly got the sack from utd in his early days but on the otherhand maybe Lansdown has made a mistake on this one.

12 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

Used to agree and felt frustrated myself, but I study and work in the industry and I've learnt it's knowledge first. Without the knowledge you don't get the opportunity to impress the right people, and if you do get the opportunity without the knowledge you won't get future opportunities through that person.

Depends what you class as 'knowledge' Cheddar

44 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Fact is 99.9% of posters on here would not have a clue

how to coach the team

Hang on. LJ is yet to prove he can do it. 

I bet there are plenty of people who work at the amateur level who understand the game better than LJ demonstrates.

Take the money out of it, it's still just a fairly simple game, blended with psychology. 

5 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Hang on. LJ is yet to prove he can do it. 

I bet there are plenty of people who work at the amateur level who understand the game better than LJ demonstrates.

Take the money out of it, it's still just a fairly simple game, blended with psychology. 

And (Perceived) 'credibility'

Like any other business , get a break , and as long as you are at least reasonably competent another door opens and and your (perceived) 'credibility' grows, another door ..... and so on

Theres Plenty of bluffers in the game who,repeat what they've heard in their career without knowing why or how because they've never had to think or even understand

41 minutes ago, Red Ferret said:

Tbf to the chairman, pretty much every manager we have appointed in recent years has been somebody a good % of the fans wanted as well.

This is a very weak argument. How many of us were able to look Steve Coppell in the whites of his eyes during the recruitment stage and get a sense of the man and his motivation, enthusiasm, desire? To shake his hand and pick up any tell-tale signs or possible indicators as to the afore-mentioned? To make a hands-on assessment, in the flesh? To - allegedly - chase after him and twist his arm? How many of us are privvy to inside information, business-gossip, tips from contacts within the game? None of us.

Our "yes" or "no" is based on basic information, like a coach's win percentage, his record elsewhere.

SL has far more information available to him, first hand information. Nonsense to make this "fans wanted him too" argument

2 minutes ago, Bob Thompson said:

Try talking to non football  people they are laughing their heads off at the way city fans are behaving at the moment.

Ive not met a single non football person who even knows which division we're in. We're not on any radar. 

And they certainly don't know how the fans are behaving. 

5 minutes ago, Bob Thompson said:

Try talking to non football  people they are laughing their heads off at the way city fans are behaving at the moment.

There's a fair few , mainly blue that are laughing at the way our head coach and owner are 'behaving (performing)  at the moment'  I promise you that !!!

8 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

This is a very weak argument. How many of us were able to look Steve Coppell in the whites of his eyes during the recruitment stage and get a sense of the man and his motivation, enthusiasm, desire? To shake his hand and pick up any tell-tale signs or possible indicators as to the afore-mentioned? To make a hands-on assessment, in the flesh? To - allegedly - chase after him and twist his arm? How many of us are privvy to inside information, business-gossip, tips from contacts within the game? None of us.

Our "yes" or "no" is based on basic information, like a coach's win percentage, his record elsewhere.

SL has far more information available to him, first hand information. Nonsense to make this "fans wanted him too" argument

From what you are saying then Lee Johnson's recruitment was the right one as he supposedly has a very good reputation within the game for being a young  gifted up and coming manager.

7 minutes ago, Bob Thompson said:

By being the sycophantic peasants that BS want us to be, I'm not surprised.

19 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Depends what you class as 'knowledge' Cheddar

Having an understanding of the game on an individual and team basis and being able to apply it correctly to the task at hand

Agree with your original post still to some degree but in my experience I've found it's just a case of showing you're capable of the above and the need the opportunities come.

1 minute ago, Tears in rain said:

Think people are going to get annoyed with me soon...

but a bit like this? 

IMG_1918.GIF

Exactly what I meant, I think tempers running too high for me to put a picture of a monorail in at the moment so I will desist.

Reading a post like this makes me realise what a horrible club we really are. We are all entitled to opinions but some of the abuse/threads SL has received is just disrespectful and lest you forget he is a human being.

If he left tomorrow and we ended up in administration the same people would still be slagging him off for leaving.

I hate the situation we are in but none of this is constructive any more. 

1 hour ago, winterbournered said:

Seriously, we've spent more seasons in the Championship than League 1 under SL. 

We're not that big a club, it's bloody hard to establish yourself in the Championship.

I get people are more than annoyed at SL for backing LJ, I want him gone too, but the we're no better off than when he took over argument is ******* annoying. 

Before SL when was the last time we won a title ffs. 

He took over as Chairman in 2002, since which we have spent 7 years in L1, and 7 in Championship, this season being the 8th I believe. So, relegation this year would see us having spent 50%of our time in both leagues during his tenure. Hardly progress. 

No doubt he has put money into the club, and the club (including every single fan) should be eternally grateful for what he has done - OFF the pitch. However, apart from the stadium re-build, we aren't actually any better off than when he took over in footballing terms.

The most frustrating part of this current episode is that we have spent A LOT of money on the playing squad compared to other clubs at the bottom of this league, and it's gone horribly wrong. 

In a 14 year period, I think it is more than fair to allow the fanbase to expect us to have become established in the top half of the Championship. 

1 hour ago, winterbournered said:

We're not that big a club, it's bloody hard to establish yourself in the Championship.

I get people are more than annoyed at SL for backing LJ, I want him gone too, but the we're no better off than when he took over argument is ******* annoying. 

Agree with part of what you're saying but Preston, Barnsley, and other sides have done much better at cementing themselves in this league lately.

Christ look at Bournemouth in the prem 

2 minutes ago, Beni71 said:

Reading a post like this makes me realise what a horrible club we really are. We are all entitled to opinions but some of the abuse/threads SL has received is just disrespectful and lest you forget he is a human being.

If he left tomorrow and we ended up in administration the same people would still be slagging him off for leaving.

We're not a horrible club at all. We all have the right to be upset and frustrated. I don't understand why people say "If he left tomorrow, we could go into administration". Or, we could go on to be a success. Or maybe we would fall into League 2. Nobody knows. However, if SL did leave. It doesn't mean Bristol City would be in the brown stuff.

1 minute ago, Beni71 said:

SL is not the club, he's the current custodian.

Yes he's pumped a lot of money in,however a large proportion of that was to cover debts of his own making.

The ground's great, can't complain but it is now a multi use venue that we happen to play in.

We have gone nowhere on the pitch and I wouldn't be surprised to see us 2 months into next season being in a league position lower than when he took over.

This is BCFC!  It feels sometimes like a kids party in the 70's where the rich kid who got the millennium falcon for his birthday would charge you to play with it.

5 minutes ago, Bob Thompson said:

How much do you think we should spend on transfers with crowds averaging less than 20,000 and how much should the players earn?

The same as they are now but get someone to manage them correctly, this surely isn't a difficult concept?

55 minutes ago, Red white and red said:

Remember, none of us can moan about the current situation. We should all be very happy with being in the championship and playing big teams most weeks. Even if we are losing most games, not winning at all and barely competing anymore, we should all be very grateful for our position. In Johnson snd lansdown we trust!

**** OFF!!!

I agree. Perhaps I am older than a few  key board warriors here, and watched us nose dive from the old first division and stood in the cold with a 3000 gate, in the old enclosure, when we lost to Torquay to go bottom of the old Div 4 on a crap wet night.  Now that is, and was a problem.

yes, this season has been a massive let down, because expectation was high, and higher than it should have been.  The signings indicated a good season, and the wheels fell off, and we're never put them back on.  Relegation is now most likely a distinct possibility as it will take a remarkable change of form to win a few games, which we have not looked like doing in the last 22 games. 

If the worse comes to the worst LJ will be gone and here we go again. With what we have now have facility wise , our stay would be short in League 1. 

Yes, SL might have made the wrong call re retaining LJ who presided over worse run in history of BCFC , but make no mistake, we are so much the better for this guy. Cast your mind back to the 'reform group' of directors when the old Atyeo was opened :facepalm: 

4 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

I agree. Perhaps I am older than a few  key board warriors here, and watched us nose dive from the old first division and stood in the cold with a 3000 gate, in the old enclosure, when we lost to Torquay to go bottom of the old Div 4 on a crap wet night.  Now that is, and was a problem.

yes, this season has been a massive let down, because expectation was high, and higher than it should have been.  The signings indicated a good season, and the wheels fell off, and we're never put them back on.  Relegation is now most likely a distinct possibility as it will take a remarkable change of form to win a few games, which we have not looked like doing in the last 22 games. 

If the worse comes to the worst LJ will be gone and here we go again. With what we have now have facility wise , our stay would be short in League 1. 

Yes, SL might have made the wrong call re retaining LJ who presided over worse run in history of BCFC , but make no mistake, we are so much the better for this guy. Cast your mind back to the 'reform group' of directors when the old Atyeo was opened :facepalm: 

Well said. It was painful then and I still have a few £10 Bristol City shares my dad bought me and my "support Bristol city now or never" car sticker. 

2 hours ago, winterbournered said:

How about Tinnion / Millen / McInnes /SOD. Lansdown has form for picking very poor managers. The difference this time is he has picked the worst manager in our history and is willing to let the club sink in to league 1.

Archived