IGNORED

John Pemberton - A Tribute

havanatopia

Thanks Pembo, top bloke. I personally thought it was time for a complete clear out of coaching staff, however for Pembo to be made the scapegoat is an absolute joke!!!!

Like I said thanks for everything you have done John, I for one would give you a good reception on return to AG with whoever you end up with next. 

Agree Hav. Pembo dragged us up from the depths of relegation last season and seemed to be the only member of the coaching staff to have that bit of steel about him. Him and Dave Coles are the only members of the coaching staff I would've been happy to keep after this shambolic season.

Still, at least Lee has one of his best mates to keep him company on the training pitch now......

I've also heard (no idea how true this is) that JP had Tomlin by the throat after last weekends match, which led to his sacking. He deserves a bloody medal for that, not a P45.

Let's not dwell on recent negatives. 

John Pemberton was part of a coaching set up that brought for a large number of us, a first league championship in our lifetimes (42 years for me). 

He steadied the club last season and has contributed over 3 years hard work to the club we all love.

For that alone we should, and I believe are, very thankful.

Good luck John in whatever your future holds.

• Like 4

Thanks Pembo. Top, top, straight-talking bloke respected by the players, who saved us from relegation and went on to win the double alongside SC. I'll never forget that special, special night you helped to give us at Bradford City. Very best of luck for the future.

The fact that Pembo didn't even get a thankyou on the Official Site - just a "relieved of duties" - signifies to me that he must have disagreed so violently with what Johnson was doing on more than one occasion - that he could have saved us once again if LJ had been sacked instead.

The whole episode shows what a shower of shite they are. He's best off out of it.

Edited by southvillekiddy

There has obviously been a big bust-up internally with Des Taylor following Pembo out on the same day, we'll probably never know what happened but it doesn't sound like it was a planned move.

Pembo turned things around for us before LJ came in, during the 6 games he was in charge the defence suddenly became miserly, I'm sure he will be missed. Some on here say as defensive coach he must bear some responsibility for the defensive problems we've had this season but LJ picks who plays and the tactics so I think that's a bit unfair. I'm sure Pembo won't be out of work for long.

1 minute ago, ashton_fan said:

There has obviously been a big bust-up internally with Des Taylor following Pembo out on the same day, we'll probably never know what happened but it doesn't sound like it was a planned move.

Pembo turned things around for us before LJ came in, during the 6 games he was in charge the defence suddenly became miserly, I'm sure he will be missed. Some on here say as defensive coach he must bear some responsibility for the defensive problems we've had this season but LJ picks who plays and the tactics so I think that's a bit unfair. I'm sure Pembo won't be out of work for long.

The Des Taylor stuff was being discussed at the beginning of February. I'm not sure you can draw any direct connections between that and the Pembo events.

Good luck in the future, Pembo. Thanks for your contribution here.

We can only conclude your dismissal was due to your lack of faith in the choices made by the head coach and your robustness in arguing your case. 

That makes you an even bigger loss.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Thanks Pembo. Top, top, straight-talking bloke respected by the players, who saved us from relegation and went on to win the double alongside SC. I'll never forget that special, special night you helped to give us at Bradford City. Very best of luck for the future.

The fact that Pembo didn't even get a thankyou on the Official Site - just a "relieved of duties" - signifies to me that he must have disagreed so violently with what Johnson was doing on more than one occasion - that he could have saved us once again if LJ had been sacked instead.

The whole episode shows what a shower of shite they are. He's best off out of it.

I agree. I'll leave the debate about him being part of our downfall this season to the other threads.

He deserves thanks for steadying the ship and being a part of our title winning season, and regardless of how its turned out he at least deserved a "thanks for your service" from the club. I bet LJ gets more when he finally goes!

Edited by MarcusX

35 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I agree. I'll leave the debate about him being part of our downfall this season to the other threads.

He deserves thanks for steadying the ship and being a part of our title winning season, and regardless of how its turned out he at least deserved a "thanks for your service" from the club. I bet LJ gets more when he finally goes!

Further to the debate as to how much Pembo is responsible for our fall, the other factor is that the fall began at the time of Holden's arrival. i can imagine that there might have been been considerable tension between the 2 "assistant" managers. How could that ever work?

Unfortunately, I think Pembos departure was an act of cowardly desperation from those truly in fear of their roles at AG at the moment. If LJ gets the boot now, who is there realistically to take over in the interim? An assistant coach who appears to be at the centre of our downfall, or another one who has only been in the job for a day?

Good luck Pembo- thank you for being you. You won't be forgotten. #doublewinner

• Like 2

Yep- good luck for the future JP.

5 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

(Slightly over-the-top?) tribute to Pembo just appeared on the OS. If I was a cynic I'd say the Club was given a nudge to do this by the fans after the insulting "relieved of duties" sentence the other day.

No I disagree . A true cynic might suggest that a glowing tribute from his former employer might help lead to him being back in a job sooner than later and off the wage bill.

Just saying like.

In the meantime, I'm not remotely  bothered he's gone but very bothered about the manner in which he went which was equivalent to a keeper kicking a ball into his own goal.

16 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

(Slightly over-the-top?) tribute to Pembo (brought on by guilt?) just appeared on the OS. If I was a cynic I'd say the Club was given a nudge to do this by the fans after the insulting "relieved of duties" sentence the other day.

Absolutely the reason why. Why didn't they just issue that in the first place? Most people knew about the sacking for at least 12 hours before they announced it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, I'm Sparti-Bob said:

. If LJ gets the boot now, who is there realistically to take over in the interim? An assistant coach who appears to be at the centre of our downfall, or another one who has only been in the job for a day?

Good luck Pembo- thank you for being you. You won't be forgotten. #doublewinner

In many ways this is the most depressing aspect.

It is certainly a valid argument to say that as a coach who had responsibility for the defence he could have little complaint about being sacked, though what justification there is for still keeping the other 2 clowns on I have no idea.

However as the only obvious candidate to be caretaker this now means I think that LJ will remain in post at least until we are mathematically relegated.

Unbelievable.

Can honestly say over the years there have been very hard times for the fans - nearly going out of the League,continually not getting the players, not getting the right manager etc..but this level of intrigue and dirty tricks is a new low for me in our club's history. And it's a combination of the owners despotic arrogance and the "new Johnson nepotism". At least Gary gave us 4 glorious years. Maybe that's why the owner is infatuated with Junior?

Edited by southvillekiddy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, southvillekiddy said:

(Slightly over-the-top?) tribute to Pembo (brought on by guilt?) just appeared on the OS. If I was a cynic I'd say the Club was given a nudge to do this by the fans after the insulting "relieved of duties" sentence the other day.

What worries me is that according to the OS posting, the club saw no plans for Pembo going forward .. Ok, but the club sees the other 3 being part of the plans for the future :facepalm::shutup:

48 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

It's probably a blessing in disguise for him. Let's be fair, who would want to work for this shambles of of Club as it is right now.

He'll avoid relegation and I'm sure he won't be out of work for long.

Like everyone who leaves AG...............they do better. Free of the curse.

Oh, Pembo.

Where did the time go?

Is it really four years?

I’m holding back the tears.

Some called for Johnson’s head

But were given yours instead.

Shifting sands

A safe pair of hands

That steadied boats

And throttled throats

Or so they say.

Now you’re on your way.

Oh, Pembo.

You’ve left us in limbo.

Or is it hell?

They’ve forgotten how to win, how to thank or say farewell.

Did you rustle some feathers?

Now you’ve cast aside the relegation-bound tethers.

You taught, they learned.

Our Channel Island Nero fiddled while his bright new stadium burned.

Bristol Sport.

You stood tall while others came up short.

You were the natch in a pub serving Strongbow.

Thanks, good-bye, we’ll miss you, Pembo.

Edited by RedZepperin
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Good luck in the future, Pembo. Thanks for your contribution here.

We can only conclude your dismissal was due to your lack of faith in the choices made by the head coach and your robustness in arguing your case. 

That makes you an even bigger loss.

Speculation you're honour