IGNORED

Hegeler

Super

He said he likes to slow the game down and is adjusting to the game.

Maybe in a midfield 3 is his best option. Or a quality ball playing CB.

He reads the game very well better then anyone we have and always looks to cover the defence.

It doesn't help that LJ chops and changes the team every week as well. 

15 minutes ago, kingswood red said:

Why do you think he was utter garbage?

In that match he had no energy, he didn't tackle, his passes were pedestrian and never incisive, and he slowed everything down.  They overran us in midfield because we were so utterly lacking in pace and incisiveness, and Hegeler was the worst offender.  He admitted himself in an interview that he was struggling to adapt to the pace of the Championship.

I thought he looked better on the right of a back three.

25 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Because he was but was asked to do a job that isn't him 

From the Post on 9th February:

Jens Hegeler is the first to admit that his introduction to life in the Championship has been something of a culture shock since he joined Bristol City last month.  More accustomed to the pace of the Bundesliga, the former Hertha Berlin midfielder is having to cope with far more than a change of location and language now he is in England.  Quite simply, the pace at which games are played and the physical demands of operating in the English second tier have literally served to take the big German's breath away. While the standard of football has been pretty much what the 28-year-old expected, the intensity and tempo have taken him by surprise.  Speaking to the media ahead of tomorrow's showdown with play-off contenders Derby County at the iPRO Stadium, Hegeler admitted: "There is a big difference between English and German football. The biggest difference is the pace and I think that is a cultural thing. In Germany, we think more tactically and look to slow the game down and keep the ball for longer. In England and in the Championship in particular, the crowd want you to get the ball forward a lot more quickly."

Are you really telling me that Hegeler can play in defence and as a 'Pogba type midfielder' but not as a holding midfielder, the role he has mostly occupied in Germany.  And this a man who admits he is struggling for pace?

50 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

From the Post on 9th February:

Jens Hegeler is the first to admit that his introduction to life in the Championship has been something of a culture shock since he joined Bristol City last month.  More accustomed to the pace of the Bundesliga, the former Hertha Berlin midfielder is having to cope with far more than a change of location and language now he is in England.  Quite simply, the pace at which games are played and the physical demands of operating in the English second tier have literally served to take the big German's breath away. While the standard of football has been pretty much what the 28-year-old expected, the intensity and tempo have taken him by surprise.  Speaking to the media ahead of tomorrow's showdown with play-off contenders Derby County at the iPRO Stadium, Hegeler admitted: "There is a big difference between English and German football. The biggest difference is the pace and I think that is a cultural thing. In Germany, we think more tactically and look to slow the game down and keep the ball for longer. In England and in the Championship in particular, the crowd want you to get the ball forward a lot more quickly."

Are you really telling me that Hegeler can play in defence and as a 'Pogba type midfielder' but not as a holding midfielder, the role he has mostly occupied in Germany.  And this a man who admits he is struggling for pace?

I've seen with my two eyes that he's a decent centre back.  I've also seen him struggle hugely as a holding midfielder as his ability to get around 5 yard areas quickly is poor.  I've also seen him play classy passes and move well with the ball.  

My comparison to Pogba is in regards to the Frenchman being most affective at united as part of a midfield three with little defensive responsibility 

I think Hegeler is a good player and I see him in midfield playing a holding role with Korey Smith and Josh Brownhill providing 'the legs'. He cannot be blamed for the Fulham debacle as plainly they were all given instructions not to press and to sit off them. The same instructions that perhaps were also given against Reading.

It continues to prove that LJ is clueless and cannot find the balance needed to create a settled team.... it also sends a poor message to the players as they dont know whether they are coming or going. Lee Johnson is effectively playing "Football Manager" with a real club and losing....

Archived