IGNORED

BCFC - The financial cost of alienating customers.

Dredd

Without the fan base there is no football club. Sooner or later people will start to vote with their wallets and stay away, that might not be this season but City have to look ahead too. 16k season tickets at £350 avg (some are higher than this some lower) is £5.6 million. SLs money aside that is a bit chunk of money. If we finish this season poorly with the product that's on show at the moment, how many of them will renew? Maybe half being diehard will buy a season ticket whatever happens but I know a few of these who have said if LJ is in charge next season then they won't be renewing. Start next season poorly and the POTD crowd stop coming too.

That obviously transfers over into concessions sales, turnover for the sports bar and grill, hospitality, shirt sales etc.

SL may be thinking it's pointless getting a new man in with 10 games to go but surely from a marketing and business point of view it's vital to get some of the feel good factor and optimism back into the stands.

Everything that's happening is alienating the club from the fans, and it's the fans that are the most important thing to the football club. I used to look forward to a match day, a few drinks before, a pasty at half time. The fun is being bled out of matchdays for me and now I get there as close to kick off as possible and don't bother with food as I'll eat before I leave. Straight away that's almost £15 per home game lost, over £300 per season. 

The cost of relegation just in losing money from tv and the EFL is big enough. Creating a divide between the powers that be at the club and the supporters is worrying. Every business wants their customers to feel valued and that their opinion matters. This couldn't be further from what we have at the moment.

19 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Without the fan base there is no football club. Sooner or later people will start to vote with their wallets and stay away, that might not be this season but City have to look ahead too. 16k season tickets at £350 avg (some are higher than this some lower) is £5.6 million. SLs money aside that is a bit chunk of money. If we finish this season poorly with the product that's on show at the moment, how many of them will renew? Maybe half being diehard will buy a season ticket whatever happens but I know a few of these who have said if LJ is in charge next season then they won't be renewing. Start next season poorly and the POTD crowd stop coming too.

That obviously transfers over into concessions sales, turnover for the sports bar and grill, hospitality, shirt sales etc.

SL may be thinking it's pointless getting a new man in with 10 games to go but surely from a marketing and business point of view it's vital to get some of the feel good factor and optimism back into the stands.

Everything that's happening is alienating the club from the fans, and it's the fans that are the most important thing to the football club. I used to look forward to a match day, a few drinks before, a pasty at half time. The fun is being bled out of matchdays for me and now I get there as close to kick off as possible and don't bother with food as I'll eat before I leave. Straight away that's almost £15 per home game lost, over £300 per season. 

The cost of relegation just in losing money from tv and the EFL is big enough. Creating a divide between the powers that be at the club and the supporters is worrying. Every business wants their customers to feel valued and that their opinion matters. This couldn't be further from what we have at the moment.

The loss of TV revenue - even after the new deal - will be the greatest wallet hit for the club if we are demoted. ST sales will be secondary by some way, and you'd expect a fall in them for L1 football, no matter who was in charge.

That said, I am not among the pessimists who think Johnson will still be at the helm after a relegation.  That's what is known in psychotherapy jargon as "catastrophising".

The problem with turning a football club into a business of this magnitude is it turns supporters into mere customers.

There are families that have lived and died supporting this club. I have five generations in my own family! 

We are Bristol City supporters (not customers) and many of us have been through thin and thinner but really this is the thinnest. 

At the moment This is not our club, its almost the sole property of The Lansdown's, supported by the Johnson's and Mark Ashton, to do what they wish, forgetting who he/they are supposed to be doing it for. 

The situation can change and at some point almost certainly will, but for now we all have a real problem whether you are SL LJ MA or just a supporter this position sucks....everyone has to stop sucking!!

18 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Good post and sums up a lot of peoples feelings but for some reason SL does not seem to want to stop the rot. I remember when we got promoted 2 years ago that the club were shocked and surprised at the wage demands and transfer fees of championship standard players. Someone hadn't done their research very well obviously. Maybe SL is still getting his fingers burnt by these demands and won't pay what he considers "over the odds". That fine stadium is going to be like a ghost town next year IF we go down and we don't challenge near the top. In 12 months time we could be in meltdown looking towards Div 2. There are no guarantees we would succeed in Div 1.

22 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Good points all.

So it beggars belief that Lansdown would say, as he did at that business breakfast a couple of weeks ago - "They'll all be back if we're top of League 1 next year"

Where on earth do you start with a fwit statement like that?

18 minutes ago, Dredd said:

He said that?

Even I am suspicious that SL would have said that....Any confirmation?

If he phrased it like that, it was horrible, but his overall point is probably true - there's nothing like a promotion challenge to pull in punters.  

A drop in season ticket sales by a couple of million quid is small change for him personally.   As long as his whole sporting empire is sound (and it is because of the value of the property and commercial assets) seasonal fluctuations are not a problem for him.

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Good points all.

So it beggars belief that Lansdown would say, as he did at that business breakfast a couple of weeks ago - "They'll all be back if we're top of League 1 next year"

Where on earth do you start with a fwit statement like that?

Sheffield United are a bigger club than City and are currently spending their  sixth consecutive season in League 1.

2 hours ago, Dredd said:

how long have you been going to City? My apologies if you have been going for a long time. The reason I ask is have you not seen the situation we are in now before? Cos I have more than once! Fans will moan during the season about the performance , management etc. but come the next season all will be forgotten and away we go again!

3 minutes ago, iamsober said:

how long have you been going to City? My apologies if you have been going for a long time. The reason I ask is have you not seen the situation we are in now before? Cos I have more than once! Fans will moan during the season about the performance , management etc. but come the next season all will be forgotten and away we go again!

This time is way different. The most divided fanbase I can recall and Mr Lansdowns ratings have never been lower.

As for the coach...

Come next season I suspect many will be more discerning about how they spend matchdays and will ignore BS BS plus Johnsons book of cliches.

Not everyone by a long way of course.

9 minutes ago, iamsober said:

Had a season ticket since the Danny Wilson era. Struggle to remember a time where everyone was on such a downer with no positives in sight. Even McInnes had us getting results to get out of the mire before the end of the season, and showing some fight. SOD we knew we were going down when he took over and the squad wasn't good enough. Here there has been a vast outlay on what should be good enough players but we aren't getting results, playing with any fight, and there's seemingly no chance of the manger getting changed 

2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

The problem with turning a football club into a business of this magnitude is it turns supporters into mere customers.

There are families that have lived and died supporting this club. I have five generations in my own family! 

We are Bristol City supporters (not customers) and many of us have been through thin and thinner but really this is the thinnest. 

At the moment This is not our club, its almost the sole property of The Lansdown's, supported by the Johnson's and Mark Ashton, to do what they wish, forgetting who he/they are supposed to be doing it for. 

The situation can change and at some point almost certainly will, but for now we all have a real problem whether you are SL LJ MA or just a supporter this position sucks....everyone has to stop sucking!!

Cretinous and Deplorable. I don't give a shit this week though. I have a week off to relax, get pissed and cycle in Spain. It's 23 degrees and bloody lovely here.

LJ is but a stain on my subconscious. I can live with that for a few days. 

1 minute ago, CotswoldRed said:

Cretinous and Deplorable. I don't give a shit this week though. I have a week off to relax, get pissed and cycle in Spain. It's 23 degrees and bloody lovely here.

LJ is but a stain on my subconscious. I can live with that for a few days. 

HAPPY DAYS!

3 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Exactly how I feel.

They aren't invulnerable. Mass desertion of fans this season and next would force their hand whatever the current spin.  Media coverage of the fans' disgust would help this along.  They are vulnerable because the ill feeling could spread to all of BS's portfolio.

One awful 3am in the morning thought is that they actually want City to fail as they realise they can't deliver and so will let the club flap around in the lower leagues and concentrate on easier, cheaper, ways of making BS successful.

I think those on otib saying and feeling this is the worst position that City have ever been in are correct.  In the past there was a.ways hope things would get better.  Under present structure I no longer have that confidence

Never ever felt so depressed by City over last nearly 70 years

Archived