IGNORED

Lack of pace.

CityCiderEd

8 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Lack of pace may be an issue, but lack of fitness looks like a problem too.  That might explain wby we are being done in the last 10 mins and why perhaps they can only play for 20 out of the 90 mins.

Chasing games is always more tiring than bossing them .

We are most often ' chasing ' .

Add into that the stress factor and you can see why these top athletes run in treacle ( curse those mines at Nempnett Thrubwell ) towards the end of games .

Yep think the op is spot on. But I'm left wondering whether, if we even had pace in the team, would we use it? 

I can think of a  few times against Burton that wecould've broken at sprinting pace and put them under real pressure 

Instead we 'broke' at a canter, followed by an inevitable cutback and/ or sideways pass, allowing them to regroup.

I've come to the conclusion this is an instruction, as many of the same players never used to do this. As well as being easy to play against, it is so frustrating to watch

1 minute ago, Redfield red said:

Yep think the op is spot on. But I'm left wondering whether, if we even had pace in the team, would we use it? 

I can think of a  few times against Burton that wecould've broken at sprinting pace and put them under real pressure 

Instead we 'broke' at a canter, followed by an inevitable cutback and/ or sideways pass, allowing them to regroup.

I've come to the conclusion this is an instruction, as many of the same players never used to do this. As well as being easy to play against, it is so frustrating to watch

Your observation puts me in mind of a midfield player we had a few years ago, who liked a backward or sideways pass.......

5 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Your observation puts me in mind of a midfield player we had a few years ago, who liked a backward or sideways pass.......

Ummmmm who could you be thinking about.

We've always for most of the time I can remember lacked pure ability for the quick break. We really have- we have had individuals, some of whom have been good, some of whom have been more mixed but in terms of the raw pace, quick break we've had problems with this for most of my time supporting (November 1998-present).

37 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I shouldn't worry too much about that.

There are some of us here who remember Lou Peters, Ray Savino and even the ex-Paris St. Germain star, Jantzen Derrick! 

Yep,saw all them play as well as John Atyeo,Brian Clark and Jack Connor:cool:

20 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Wally Hinshelwood against Stanley Matthews in the cup vs Blackpool. Blimey that was a long time ago! :shocking:

Although they were in the same game both Wally and Stan were true wingers of the day and hugged the line so spent the game best part of 75 yards apart ( talking old money times then ). However, our legendary left back Mike Thresher was a lot closer to Stan and played him out of the game although Stan was ageing by then.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Norwich had an exceptionally fast front line.

O'Dowda and Bryan are our quickest, but not on that level. 

Still as Ivan Sproule and Junior Bent showed,  speed isn't everything. ..

But it certainly gives you an out ball RR.

One of the key reasons why losing Kodjia has hit us so hard. Also probably a key factor in Tomlin not being as effective, he's had nobody to thread balls through to, or to allow him to get space that is brought about by pacey strikers stretching opposition defences.

16 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

Although they were in the same game both Wally and Stan were true wingers of the day and hugged the line so spent the game best part of 75 yards apart ( talking old money times then ). However, our legendary left back Mike Thresher was a lot closer to Stan and played him out of the game although Stan was ageing by then.

As I remember, Wally stole the show and played more like Matthews than Matthews! My favourite player back then!

55 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

The last City player with pace must have been Wes. Like shit off a shovel that boy 

Sorry mate, but do you remember when Taylor Moore actually played  for us, before he was stupidly shipped out to the lower leagues? He has genuine pace, but there wasn't enough patience to keep him. The Bury fans are raving about him.

Remember Adam Mathews' pace? He could do it on his day. Sadly, we don't see that anymore.

I realise that they are defenders, but if you have pace at the back, you don't necessarily need pace up front. 

As I've said before, I'm not a tactical genius, but it makes sense to me...

I also remember Dave Smith. What a player he was! Him and Mark Gavin on each wing was the reason that Bob Taylor was able to score so many goals. We now have O'Dowda, who isn't nearly as good as either, despite playing in a higher division.

Bad times...

What people forget about 'pace' is what the threat of pace does to the opposition

A manger told me that whenever they played City in  90s he would always straightaway look for Junior Bents name , if it was on the team sheet

Why - because of the threat of pace they had to defend 15 yards deeper and reduce the space in behind them - didn't like doing so as it stretched the game and allowed the opposition (City) room to play

People joke about Junior but he was invaluable for that reason alone

Not necessarily just what they produce on the ball

Archived