IGNORED

Playing for the badge...

Septic Peg

@ColeCiderRed's post about Footballers living the dream got me thinking about players who have played for the badge.

Or more specifically, our badge.

Some people say most players play for the pride of their club. Others take the opposite view and say they play for the money and the recognition.

What defines 'playing for the badge' too? I reckon it's someone who has delivered a service to the club for a period of time and was genuinely sad/disappointed/upset at leaving/retiring etc. Or someone who would be willing to make a sacrifice in their own life such as staying at BCFC rather than take a better paid position elsewhere.

Either way, how many players can you name from our teams over the years who you can honestly say 'played for the badge?' 

I reckon:

Louis Carey

Keith Millen

Tinman

Shaun Taylor 

SCOTTY!

Aden Flint

John Atyeo (obvs!)

Billy Wedlock

The Ashton 8

Gerry Gow

I'm sure there are more. 

22 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

@ColeCiderRed's post about Footballers living the dream got me thinking about players who have played for the badge.

Some people say most players play for the pride of their club. Others take the opposite view and say they play for the money and the recognition.

What defines 'playing for the badge' too? I reckon it's someone who has delivered a service to the club for a period of time and was genuinely sad/disappointed/upset at leaving/retiring etc. Or someone who would be willing to make a sacrifice in their own life such as staying at BCFC rather than take a better paid position elsewhere.

Either way, how many players can you name from our teams over the years who you can honestly say 'played for the badge?' 

I reckon:

Louis Carey

Keith Millen

Tinman

Shaun Taylor 

SCOTTY!

Aden Flint

John Atyeo (obvs!)

Billy Wedlock

The Ashton 8

Gerry Gow

I'm sure there are more. 

Hundreds, literally , who have given their all for the shirt over the years.

The likes of Merrick, Tainton, Gilles, Cheesley, Whitehead & Fear in the 70's

Those kids in the 80's Newman, Economou, Musker, Chandler. The likes of John Shaw, Tom Ritchie , Jimmy Mann and Terry Cooper who were the old heads guiding those kids along.

Followed by Riley, Neville, Walsh, Pritchard, Andy Lewellyn, Lee Rogers, Micky Tanner.

Like I say, literally hundreds.

37 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

I reckon:

Louis Carey

Keith Millen

Tinman

Shaun Taylor 

SCOTTY!

Aden Flint

John Atyeo (obvs!)

Billy Wedlock

The Ashton 8

Gerry Gow

I'm sure there are more. 

Would agree most def... How about Tommy Doc? I know he had a few lazy games, mainly down to his Benson and hedges habit! But I'd say he gave his all for the badge!

7 minutes ago, ColeCiderRed said:

Would agree most def... How about Tommy Doc? I know he had a few lazy games, mainly down to his Benson and hedges habit! But I'd say he gave his all for the badge!

I couldn't remember Tommy Doc's name! And I used to know his old man really well!

1 minute ago, David Brent said:

Don't mistake commitment and effort for playing for the badge. A lot of the mentioned players were the same at their other clubs

I think in recent years only Louis Carey, maybe Bradley Orr.

Yes I would agree.. Also I've named a few Bristol born n bred boys, so maybe I'm mistaking their efforts too.  Almost because they're Bristolian they must be playing for the badge.

Speaking of a lot players being as committed at their other clubs. If we started a thread on players who improved upon leaving us it'd be as long as the G*s thread!! 

And how Mr Scott George Murray hasn't been given a testimonial by now is simply ludicrous.

One of our best players in the late 90s/00's, was club captain at one point iirc, labelled a legend by the fan base and now kitman.

I think I may start an otib petition. Like this post if you think it should happen. If we get a decent number, I'll email the powers that be and explain why he deserves it.

Edit: And for anyone about to moan that he didn't do 10 years service, he joined us in Dec 1997 and moved to Reading in June 2003 (5 years and 5 months). He rejoined us in March 2004 and was officially released in May 2009 (5 years and 2 months) so cumulative time is over 10 and a half years not including his time as kitman.

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Rob Newman, Glyn Riley, Terry Cooper, Andy Llewellyn, Gary Shelton, David Moyes, Steve Neville, Alan Crawford, John Shaw, Matt Hill, Matt Bryant, Glenn Humphries, Joe Burnell, Tommy Doherty, Kenny Stroud.....just a few off the top of my head who obviously really cared...

Dave Martin 

17 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

I reckon:

Louis Carey

Keith Millen

Tinman

Shaun Taylor 

SCOTTY!

Aden Flint

John Atyeo (obvs!)

Billy Wedlock

The Ashton 8

Gerry Gow

I'm sure there are more. 

Tom Ritchie

Glyn Riley

Super Bob

Alan Walsh

Shelts

Bobby Hutchinson

Proper men, not the moneyed up little scrotes nowadays, who would rather be hanging out of some orange scrubber, snorting charlie and listening to gangsta (c)rap...innit.

Sadly , not even most of those on this thread will have 'played for the badge'

Just the reality of Professional Footballers

Some on here that may well have , particularly those who grew up as fans and some others who grew genuine affection for the club (Scotty , Tinnion etc) 

Some mentioned on here gave their all , but not for the badge as such but from professional pride , playing for teammates , the manager , and the team they are representing at that time - All great things and the end result the same but not 'Playing for the badge' per se

Sorry !

Archived