IGNORED

The Official Wigan Athletic v Bristol City Match Day Thread

35 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Paterson out injured today, so there is one name we can remove from the tombola.

I like the idea of nick naming LJ tombola.  In addition to his team formation and selection. He's a cheap attempt to win something that usual ends in disappointment.  Or, LJ gives you the same feeling as winning a tin of marrow fat peas. Totally uninspired.

• Like 3

It's too upsetting to discuss City, so I'm only talking about food.

TfJ's Match Day Light Lunch

Avocado and sardine salad:

Ingredients - serves one:-

1 Ripe avocado

1 x tin Sardines in tomato Source

Juice of 1/2 lemon

Freshly milled pepper.

Method:-

Cut avocado in 1/2 around stone, twist fruit to break in two. Remove stone, use a teaspoon to remove soft flesh, place in bowl and mash with fork.

Season with ground pepper to taste.

Place sardine fillets on top.

Finish with juice of 1/2 lemon.

This is truly a simple and delicious light lunch - packed full of protein.

Enjoy.

:thumbsup:

tfj  :protest:

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

1 Ripe avocado

Juice of 1/2 lemon

Freshly milled pepper.

Cut avocado in 1/2 around stone, twist fruit to break in two. Remove stone, use a teaspoon to remove soft flesh, place in bowl and mash with fork.

Enjoy.

I think this would work better on bruschetta with maybe a sprinkling of dill.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

My point was that the proof is there that we have the quality to, and are capable of staying up. It just comes down to whether or not we/they are given the opportunity to make it happen. 

And my point is to be able to quote or rely on 'your proof', we need sustained proof say like 90 minutes would be a start, be honest pretty much all season we either been OK, good, very good or excellent for the odd 45 minutes and dire for the rest, over 30 + games this actual Norwich 45 minutes is only proof of what we already know, we can sometimes play for 45 minutes and that appears to be our limit, that has to change or we are ****** and I sadly cannot see it changing but hey ho I am always up for being proved wrong especially where BCFC are concerned.

Me I am taking Mrs Bung shopping and having a Guinness or 3, I just cannot bear listening to another commentary where the commentator has to say every 15 minutes, 'City are giving them far too much time on the ball', 'why are City standing off of them?' or 'City are making it just far too easy for their opponents' and the polit bureau's mouthpiece quoting from the BS little red book to piped applause.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

My point was that the proof is there that we have the quality to, and are capable of staying up. It just comes down to whether or not we/they are given the opportunity to make it happen. 

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Think back to Wigan at home, they were good and winning it was panic,kitchen sink football, them sitting trying to hold a lead that gave us a little more chance to attack and we won. Most teams sit on a lead a little and allow opposition to push on, that's not necessarily down to good play.
What I would like to know is , how do we actually get a lead against good teams (Newcastle,Derby,Sheff W,Reading) and capitulate. Where as against weaker, less potent sides where we might have half a chance of holding out, we never go two or three up....... maybe today?

6 minutes ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

1 Ripe avocado

Juice of 1/2 lemon

Freshly milled pepper.

Enjoy.

Bet he never makes it the same way twice , or with the same ingredients :yawn: 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone, short and sweet from me today as i am attending a trade fair in Jakarta.

So, here we go again then. Wigan Athletic, the last club to be voted into the Football League in 1978 replacing Southport after a second round of voting. 

City today? Who knows? Frankly I am tired, i just feel very tired and unmotivated to write anything meaningful and for that I apologise.

A big salute to the supporters to stick by our club through thick and thin; I wish I was more stoic about the whole affair.

UTC, as always.

I shall include some facts about Wigan to make-up for the weary Mr H.

Among the products to come from Wigan are Heinz baked beans and Armitage Shanks toilets. Says it all really. 

While meat pies are the prevalent local diet,  the real Wigan delicacy is Uncle Joe's Mints.  So good no one outside the town has heard of them.

During the 70s, ITN editors made sure every time a story mentioned Wigan on their bulletins it was read by Reginald Bosanquet. 

I've never been to Wigan, but visitors from civilization tell me it's potentially Britain's most obese borough.

Edited by Red-Robbo
2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I shall include some facts about Wigan to make-up for the weary Mr H.

Among the products to come from Wigan are Heinz baked beans and Armitage Shanks toilets. Says it all really. 

While meat pies are the prevalent local diet,  the real Wigan delicacy is Uncle Joe's Mints.  So good no one outside the town has heard of them.

During the 70s, ITN editors made sure every time a story mentioned Wigan on their bulletins it was read by Reginald Bosanquet. 

I've never been to Wigan, but visitors from civilization tell me it's potentially Britain's most obese borough.

I've never been to Wigan but it makes me think of Northern Soul, a pier and Stuart Maconie.

15 minutes ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

1 Ripe avocado

Juice of 1/2 lemon

Freshly milled pepper.

Enjoy.

What sort of footy fan are you eating a healthy lunch? 

13 minutes ago, Red Homer said:

I think this would work better on bruschetta with maybe a sprinkling of dill.

That does should nice, but you are adding starch with the bruschetta.

As you well know, this will cause a rapid spike in your blood sugar. The idea of the lunch is to be light, and the protein to keep you full until tea time.

The recipe was carefully designed to be easy, filling, and low calorie.

Would the dill add to the dish, considering the sardine and tomato will overpower the dill, and make you look unnecessarily ponsy?

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

And my point is to be able to quote or rely on 'your proof', we need sustained proof say like 90 minutes would be a start, be honest pretty much all season we either been OK, good, very good or excellent for the odd 45 minutes and dire for the rest, over 30 + games this actual Norwich 45 minutes is only proof of what we already know, we can sometimes play for 45 minutes and that appears to be our limit, that has to change or we are ****** and I sadly cannot see it changing but hey ho I am always up for being proved wrong especially where BCFC are concerned.

Me I am taking Mrs Bung shopping and having a Guinness or 3, I just cannot bear listening to another commentary where the commentator has to say every 15 minutes, 'City are giving them far too much time on the ball', 'why are City standing off of them?' or 'City are making it just far too easy for their opponents' and the polit bureau's mouthpiece quoting from the BS little red book to piped applause.

A consistent approach to a game might be a really good start. Just once I'd love to see us be positive from the off. Start the game how we finished the last one, given how well we played in that second half. If he starts one up front again I really despair. For me the quality is absolutely there in the squad, it's just not being used correctly. 

Foolishly I did the gardening this morning so I have no excuse not to tune in. If I had any sense I'd have left it for this afternoon....

4 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I've never been to Wigan but it makes me think of Northern Soul, a pier and Stuart Maconie.

Yep Northern Soul began in the Twisted Wheel club and eventually all-nighters were being held in several Wigan locations.  I'm not quite sure why it is considered a "genre" as the records they were playing were things that had been played in the rest of the country in the 60s,  but trends had moved on. Likewise the dancers' apparel of tank tops and baggy trousers. Wigan: the land fashion forgot.

Re: Stuart Maconie,  he always looks like he's got a wig on. Maybe it's word association. ....

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

What sort of footy fan are you eating a healthy lunch? 

I really like giving advice. You don't know I did not have three deep-fried kebabs for lunch, do you?

You are what you eat - look at what malnutrition did to Lee Johnson .........

:yawn: