IGNORED

Striker for next season

3 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Djuric and Taylor have scored how many exactly,if you think we can take chances on a loan signing doing what Tammy has again then your insane 

Don't think either are bad at this level, nor do I think they're enough to do anything more than mid table at this level judging by what I've seen so far.

I'd look to bring in someone experienced at this level (imagining Wilbs will go) and another loanee. Haven't got any suggestions for the former but think Unal as I suggested would be a good loan signing if we could make it happen. Not really sure what's insane about that pal.

7 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

Don't think either are bad at this level, nor do I think they're enough to do anything more than mid table at this level judging by what I've seen so far.

I'd look to bring in someone experienced at this level (imagining Wilbs will go) and another loanee. Haven't got any suggestions for the former but think Unal as I suggested would be a good loan signing if we could make it happen. Not really sure what's insane about that pal.

You need a goal scorer at this level pal

37 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Bogle is awful

Afobe will have top championship teams after him if he leaves 

How on earth are we going to get Solanke??!  Liverpool want him and he's after 50k per week. 

offload a couple of players, adjust the wages to transfer budget a bit on the slider and for good measure with the game editor increase reputation equal to Bayern Munich, that should do it.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

If LJ stays I think we'll see a mass exodus of players and find it difficult to attract quality signings, whichever level we're at.

I think you are right if by some miracle we stay up, as word would get round of his tombola/ crass man mgt skills and general incompetance, so we will only get dross wanting to come here.

If we go down,which is likely , we will still the cream of lower league players as we pay well and have a nice stadium. however poor a manager we have they will overlook that.

1 hour ago, CheddarReds said:

1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

You need a goal scorer at this level pal

Are you guys pals?

9 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

as my ol' man used to say... better top of Division 2 than bottom of Division 1. I'm pretty resigned to the drop despite todays result

Your ol'man was lacking in ambition a tad .

He would rather have watched us turn over The Gillinghams, Burys and Chesterfields of this world than pit our wits against Newcastle, Villa or Wolves ? 

I like my team to win more than they lose and can accept that as we move up a league that becomes more difficult but the  pleasure in seeing your team improve and competing at a higher skills level is much , much better than treading water in the ' forgotten ' leagues .

10 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Relegation or not I think most will agree we won't be seeing Tammy here next season.

So let's say we stay up and have only Djuric and Taylor as our strikers, who would you like to see bought in?

I only realised today that Lucas Joao is on loan at Blackburn from Shef Wed. Think he would be a decent signing.

Or do you think any of our youngsters are close to stepping up?

I was watching some Dutch footy a few weeks ago and there's a kiddy that plays for vitesse called van Bergen. **** me that kid is fast!!! He's the exact player we need at the moment. I'd kill for a player like that at the club

11 hours ago, ziderheadarmy said:

Bogle if we stay up and Wigan go down

I was really interested to see Bogle yesterday given his prolific goal scoring record and the fact people wanted us to sign him from Grimsby. I wasn't that impressed. He did look like a nuisance, but no more than a more physical version of Agard. I assume he needs quality service because he didn't do an awful lot with the scraps he was given yesterday. He certainly looked like a lower division footballer, all heart and running rather than flashes of quality. I think in the Championship we do need to start thinking about strikers with a bit more intelligence and technique given the defenders we're up against.

I hope Djuric can become an outstanding target man for us for others to play off, but his injury record is already a worry, so we certainly need another person to lead the line. We cannot play the sort of football we did for an hour yesterday without Wilbraham. We need a target. Taylor is just a cheap gamble that may or may not work out - certainly he isn't going to be any good if we're punting long balls at him as yesterday, he needs to play off someone. And of course we need Tammy's replacement, someone with genuine pace and a goalscoring record. A Taylor equivalent but with more presence and strength. 

Someone mentioned Lucas Joao on loan at Blackburn - we were linked last summer to another Portuguese forward, Rui Fonte, from Braga. He has gone on to score 8 goals in 17 games in the Portuguese top flight this season mainly drifting in from the right wing in the way LJ seems to obsess about. Don't know if he is good enough, but there is plenty of value equivalent to Kodjia out there if the club looks hard enough. Either way, don't want to turn it into a Johnson thread but would sooner have someone else making these decisions in the summer, LJ already doesn't rate players he had spent millions of pounds on.

10 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Absolutely. News will already have spread around the footballing community as to what a shambles we are, squad disharmony, incompetent head coach etc. We'll really struggle to attract the right players.

I agree and have heard the same. I know money talks but it'll be harder and harder to bring players to the club particularly from overseas, when they see the  lack of rationale in selection or approach that has seen players absent for weeks on end and unclear of their importance to the first team. God only knows what international players will think of seeing that level of player come here and fall out of favour apparently randomly. Not a place to build your reputation.

Your point about an exodus is terrifying. And quite logical. The level of mismanagement of players is staggering and I can only imagine how players let alone their agents are thinking. Get me out of here. How Steve Lansdown and Mark Ashton think we're enhancing our reputation in the footballing world is beyond me. Ashton might just be a chancer, but this isn't like Lansdown. I've spoken to 2 scouts (not the dib dib type) on trains to London and we're seen as a basket case.

52 minutes ago, Olé said:

Your point about an exodus is terrifying. And quite logical. The level of mismanagement of players is staggering and I can only imagine how players let alone their agents are thinking. Get me out of here. How Steve Lansdown and Mark Ashton think we're enhancing our reputation in the footballing world is beyond me. Ashton might just be a chancer, but this isn't like Lansdown. I've spoken to 2 scouts (not the dib dib type) on trains to London and we're seen as a basket case.

I think this sits at the crux of what concerns and alarms me most about our current situation; how are we going to progress from our current situation with the way we've seen the playing staff utilised across this season?  

If we had bought near enough a full new team, played them all consistently, and been struggling because they couldn't gel, I'd maybe understand that we are trying something bold but risky, and I think many players would respect that, even if results weren't ideal initially. 

Even if their was some logic to the rotation and selection of players, I could see that we were looking to build some type of model where players are used sparingly to keep them as fresh as possible and get the most out of them whenever they make the first eleven.

But neither of these scenarios are case; we've ended up oscillating wildly between sides either lined up to fit one specific player or shoehorning in players out of position to fit a system, and teams made up of majority new players then suddenly being shifted over to sides composed of those here in the long term.

And for an example of what I think is happening, despite it being a success, is the act of playing Korey Smith at right back yesterday.  That stank of a stumbled upon (thanks to the last part of Norwich at home) solution that is more a product of desperation than any sort of planning or cohesive strategy LJ has been formulating.  Watch it be claimed as a 'win' by him, despite the option for it being on the table for months and not having been taken.  It was a happy accident.

All this has me skeptical that we can retain those players who will help us develop, thanks to them having come here and then found themselves rotated in and out and dropped and shoehorned in and playing in a team who have no identity or clear philosophy.

Equally, how do we sell this club to new players other than by their desire for a decent wage when you see teams like Brighton and Huddersfield (and indeed Preston) who are clearly committed not just to a distinct approach to how they play, but do so in a manner that has enhanced the reputations of the players involved?  Those teams are not just built from big money signings but off players who've been coached to step up to this level under a coach with a model they are sticking to.

Few of our boys will be able to escape this season with significantly better reps; Tammy will, of course, but the sudden post-New Year vanishing act that has impacted Mags, and the sudden prolonged absences players like Patterson and others have endured are not going to be positive experiences for them, nor something that attracts players.

All of this is also academic if we go down; no way in hell we retain the most promising of our signings, and again we're back in a 'blank slate' position of having to build a team from near scratch with a head coach who seems to have no cohesive vision or approach, other than simply accumulating players, then mixing them up in the hope they accidentally fall into some form (a la Korey at right back).

I'm pleased we did the bare minimum yesterday to keep ourselves in the relegation fight a little longer, but fear this is simply Rotherham at home part deux, and a well drilled and excitingly constructed Huddersfield team will come and test us in a way the last few matches haven't on Friday - I'd take a point and run for the hills now, if offered. 

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Your ol'man was lacking in ambition a tad .

He would rather have watched us turn over The Gillinghams, Burys and Chesterfields of this world than pit our wits against Newcastle, Villa or Wolves ? 

I like my team to win more than they lose and can accept that as we move up a league that becomes more difficult but the  pleasure in seeing your team improve and competing at a higher skills level is much , much better than treading water in the ' forgotten ' leagues .

But winning promotes good feelings, whatever standard of football.

13 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

If LJ stays I think we'll see a mass exodus of players and find it difficult to attract quality signings, whichever level we're at.

What happened to all his twaddle about needing three transfer windows to get it right?! He's not playing most of the players he's already brought in during the first two windows...Jens Hegeler must be wondering what the hell he's doing here...and he's a very good player...

11 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Im born and bred south bristol,pal isn't a word we use mate

10 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

BS4 here too. No Bristolian ever calls someone pal.

For blokes it's 'mate' and for women it's 'love'

Picked up 'pal' over in Wales from uni, I'll remind myself not to call you two that in future!!

Archived