IGNORED

McClaren gone

rockinrobin

10 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

No more ridiculous than sacking Clement around the same time last season when they were higher up the table. That really was bizarre.

The Derby owners/board are desperate to get them promoted, so whoever goes there needs to be aware that anything less than that will lead to the sack.

Rowett seems the perfect fit for them but doubt he can get them to the play offs with so few games left. Although presumably that will be the hope or perhaps even expectation.

Yeah and now look how Clement is doing at Swansea now.

11 hours ago, shepton red said:

Mugs for sacking Paul Clement 

You mean the board were mugs for not sticking with a manager and giving him time and getting rid because his team had a bad run. Yeah I agree. Thankfully our club is run better and I hope our boards brave decision pays off in the long run.

6 hours ago, Up The City! said:

This is the only reason part of me retains support for LJ. We've tried this approach (ok not as bad) and time and time again it hasn't worked so I'm pleased this time we have gone all in and are holding our nerve.

It hasn't always worked, but tbh most of the time it has.  

Millen fired for McInnes kept us up.  Cotterill in for S'OD kept us up.  Sacking Cotts for LJ kept us up.

We actually keep managers on average longer than most, so I'm not sure why people talk like we're Derby or Watford (or Rotherham, or Forest, or pretty much most other teams).  LJ is very, very lucky.

And as for the second highlighted bit;

If you're clinging to a sinking piece of wood out to sea, do you sit tight and hope the tide takes you home before you go under, or do you risk drowning by swimming for the shore?  

That's where we are just now.

There are scant signs we are much better than the worst sides in this league at present, so do we stay the course and hope someone else drowns faster, or do we take a chance?

Ignoring the fact we've likely left it far too late to make a break for it (just look at Blackburn as an example of a perfectly timed managerial change), framing 'staying the course' as a courageous act ignores the reality of the situation, which is more like being locked in a death grip with someone who is dragging you beneath the waves.

For me, we're beyond true redemption with LJ; we stay up, it is hard to see what value his tenure has added, when you look at the sides lacking our resources who will undoubtedly finish higher.

We're stuck with him, that much I accept, but that fact alone doesn't justify what he's done in making us huge underachievers.

37 minutes ago, samo II said:

Millen fired for McInnes kept us up.  Cotterill in for S'OD kept us up.  Sacking Cotts for LJ kept us up.

We actually keep managers on average longer than most, so I'm not sure why people talk like we're Derby or Watford (or Rotherham, or Forest, or pretty much most other teams).  LJ is very, very lucky.

If you're clinging to a sinking piece of wood out to sea, do you sit tight and hope the tide takes you home before you go under, or do you risk drowning by swimming for the shore?  

There are scant signs we are much better than the worst sides in this league at present, so do we stay the course and hope someone else drowns faster, or do we take a chance?

Ignoring the fact we've likely left it far too late to make a break for it (just look at Blackburn as an example of a perfectly timed managerial change), framing 'staying the course' as a courageous act ignores the reality of the situation, which is more like being locked in a death grip with someone who is dragging you beneath the waves.

For me, we're beyond true redemption with LJ; we stay up, it is hard to see what value his tenure has added, when you look at the sides lacking our resources who will undoubtedly finish higher.

We're stuck with him, that much I accept, but that fact alone doesn't justify what he's done in making us huge underachievers.

I would hardly say it worked.

We sack a manager, then just over 12 months later sack the new one, rinse and repeat. 

All the while slipping ever further down the table. That doesn't scream "working" to me

25 minutes ago, samo II said:

Even if LJ somehow keeps us up - what has he done for Lansdown to think he might suddenly turn into a successful Championship manager?

Derby have seen enough to know that McLaren is not the man to lead them next season.

If you make a mistake, correct it - learn from it, and move on. Something SL seems unable to do

16 minutes ago, Redstreet said:

Is there any other manager currently in a job more fortunate than LJ ? 

No . 

Especially if you consider that 2 of the teams that were higher than us in the league and we have drawn against in the past 10 matches have sacked their managers (Norwich & Derby). I think Carvahal & Clough will be pretty safe, but what price for Rafa if Huddersfield & Brighton pip the Geordies for automatic promotion?

However "Lucky Lee" seems untouchable thanks to Uncle Steve...

7 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Especially if you consider that 2 of the teams that were higher than us in the league and we have drawn against in the past 10 matches have sacked their managers (Norwich & Derby). I think Carvahal & Clough will be pretty safe, but what price for Rafa if Huddersfield & Brighton pip the Geordies for automatic promotion?

However "Lucky Lee" seems untouchable thanks to Uncle Steve...

I'd have thought Rafa is pretty secure . Doubt they will blow auto - promotion but in this division , anything possible ! I am not sure if any team in any division ( Rotherham excepted) have a worse record than us . Anyway , on we go . Anything other than a defeat on Friday and LJ will pour out the cliches " corner turned , unbeaten in 4, lads showed guts and ( that they are behind me ) , Huddersfield a good team . However , LJ stating whatever happens so focus now on us staying in the division . 

33 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

We sack a manager, then just over 12 months later sack the new one, rinse and repeat. 

All the while slipping ever further down the table. That doesn't scream "working" to me

It's a very short term fix that brings short term success but eventually will always fail as we saw with SOD. 

8 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

If the goal was to avoid what was looking like the inevitable drop to the league below, which I'd argue was the prime motivation behind all those appointments, then the goal was achieved.

Only Cotts delivered on future objectives, but that's a different story.

LJ was brought in because we were facing relegation under the previous man, and I'll give him credit where it is due in that he did the job.

What has come since is abject failure; I'll not argue with that.  But I'd wager his goal this summer was not 'avoid relegation' but something loftier.  And on that count; total failure.

8 hours ago, CodeRed said:

Even if LJ somehow keeps us up - what has he done for Lansdown to think he might suddenly turn into a successful Championship manager?

Derby have seen enough to know that McLaren is not the man to lead them next season.

If you make a mistake, correct it - learn from it, and move on. Something SL seems unable to do

I agree.

I don't think anything LJ has done since last summer suggests he has anything about him that will bring long-term improvement - he's had all the tools at his disposal to do better than lead us on a record losing run and into the depths of a knife-edge relegation fight.

Even if he keeps us up (and I pray he does) the next nine games will need us to show us the sort of level of performances we've yet to experience under LJ for him to be given any further chances by me.

On 13/03/2017 at 08:02, samo II said:

Depends on whether you can see the shore or even know where it is

I think even if we stay up he will be sacked either in the summer or early next season. That's my thought on it.

Alternatively we could be doing a West Ham- had quite a few West Ham mates at uni and basically they told me how they stuck with Avram Grant, stuck with him when they were bottom of the League and the fans were beseeching the board to get rid. Stuck with him- and then went down and he got sacked pretty much straight after the game! I don't know why we would pursue such an approach but who the hell knows with this club!

On 13/03/2017 at 07:54, citywest30 said:

You mean the board were mugs for not sticking with a manager and giving him time and getting rid because his team had a bad run. Yeah I agree. Thankfully our club is run better and I hope our boards brave decision pays off in the long run.

Not sure I agree with your comparison, I think our chairman is blinded by pure optimism and hope rather than making the logical decision. 

On 13/03/2017 at 07:54, citywest30 said:

You mean the board were mugs for not sticking with a manager and giving him time and getting rid because his team had a bad run. Yeah I agree.

Thankfully our club is run better

Is it ?  :whistle:

and I hope our boards brave decision pays off in the long run.

'Brave decision' :whistle:

Id say more

Russian Roulette !!

IMG_0828.JPG

10 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

IMG_0828.JPG

In my opinion it is. I would have accepted the decision to sack LJ and there was probably a bit of me who wanted them to after the Fulham game but I admire the stance and yes I do believe it to be a brave one. It would be great if we could see what would happen in the future but I think there is every chance we will survive and have a successful (relatively speaking) season next season under LJ.

19 minutes ago, shepton red said:

Not sure I agree with your comparison, I think our chairman is blinded by pure optimism and hope rather than making the logical decision. 

This is a possibility but the way I see it, he's a man who has invested loads into this club (not just financially speakung) and is someone who would love to see us be successful. I genuinely believe he thinks keeping LJ is the right decision and personally I hope he is proven right.

5 minutes ago, citywest30 said:

This is a possibility but the way I see it, he's a man who has invested loads into this club (not just financially speakung) and is someone who would love to see us be successful. I genuinely believe he thinks keeping LJ is the right decision and personally I hope he is proven right.

I hope he is proven correct, but I am very much in the 'get rid' camp.

i just don't believe he is technically equipped to deal with the players and their ridiculous egos at this level.

Archived