IGNORED

Highlights v Wigan

I just watched the highlights of the Wigan game and it never featured one BCFC tackle, I am supposing that the highlights showed every good Wigan chance? and not one tackle, plenty of backing off and backing off some more, not getting close to an opponent and not doing enough to stop crosses coming in.

But hey it's no different to all of the past 5 months (although 3 very welcome points).

is it a tactic?.

Gary O Neil in particular made one very crunching tackle early on that was so loud I thought it was certain to leave broken bones!, he limped a bit for a while, but pressed on. Flint also was positive and came and won everything that was high, but Wigan were very poor, so not many tackles had to be made.

One thing I noticed when seeing some fans videos from behind the goal on facebook........with the corner leading up to the goal, we had at least 4 players outside the box, 3 of which were marking nobody towards the centre circle!

I appreciate we've got done a few times on the counter this season but 3 players marking nobody when you desperately need a goal/win?

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Reduces the number of pens conceded or free kicks on the edge of the area?

That we would be ok if the player was close to their opponent, standing off 6 feet away is a bit extreme and also most of Wigan's moves shown in the highlights started on the halfway line.

4 minutes ago, brady bunch said:

Gary O Neil in particular made one very crunching tackle early on that was so loud I thought it was certain to leave broken bones!, he limped a bit for a while, but pressed on. Flint also was positive and came and won everything that was high, but Wigan were very poor, so not many tackles had to be made.

of course there must have been tackles during the match but not a one for what the highlights editor considered to be Wigan's best chances, I think that is a huge worry.

11 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

One thing I noticed when seeing some fans videos from behind the goal on facebook........with the corner leading up to the goal, we had at least 4 players outside the box, 3 of which were marking nobody towards the centre circle!

I appreciate we've got done a few times on the counter this season but 3 players marking nobody when you desperately need a goal/win?

Yet conversely we have all 10 outfield players back for defending corners! Leaving no-one up the pitch for potential counter-attacks.

Baffling tactics.

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I'm not knocking Matty Taylor's defensive prowess but surely it would be best to potentially use his pace in a counter attack?

We did for the most part leave Taylor up (and then Tomlin after Taylor went off) when defending corners on Saturday.

But I have tired of watching us have the entire team in our own penalty area, clearing it and it coming straight back for most the season.

Also whilst I know that it is generally the full backs that provide cover on the halfway line when you have a corner- I cannot for the life of me understand why Joey is not in the box as he one of the best in the air we have.

38 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I'm not knocking Matty Taylor's defensive prowess but surely it would be best to potentially use his pace in a counter attack?

That would be a great idea against Huddersfield, because they like to press high up the pitch. Utilising pace on the counter was something that we failed to do at the Johns Smiths Stadium, due to poor passing and support, despite a number of good opportunities.

8 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

That would be a great idea against Huddersfield, because they like to press high up the pitch. Utilising pace on the counter was something that we failed to do at the Johns Smiths Stadium, due to poor passing and support, despite a number of good opportunities.

I watched Wigan win at Huddersfield earlier in the season and they attacked Hudds on the counter very successfully.

57 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yet conversely we have all 10 outfield players back for defending corners! Leaving no-one up the pitch for potential counter-attacks.

Baffling tactics.

Good word, Baffling. Yet another one to add to the LJ signpost of ineptitudes....

IMG_0195.JPG

1 hour ago, RedRaw said:

To be fair, against Norwich and Burton on a couple of corners Bailey Wright came from very deep very late and wasn't picked up - maybe not that bad a tactic (as long as they do eventually run in!)

2 hours ago, RedRaw said:

Well, evidently we didn't need those 3 players in the box, so better safe etc I guess. We did score from it!!

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but didn't we win this crucial match?

We did although through reading reports from people there, it wasn't down to the tactical nous or game changing decisions made by the head coach.....we were dreadful

The point I made was about the efficacy of having at least 4 players out of the scope of play and marking no Wigan players when attacking a corner in the last few minutes in a which was pretty much a must win game.

Yes we scored and yes we won but this is a sticky plaster to cover the overall ineptness of Johnson's tactical know-how and coaching ability

11 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

We did although through reading reports from people there, it wasn't down to the tactical nous or game changing decisions made by the head coach.....we were dreadful

The point I made was about the efficacy of having at least 4 players out of the scope of play and marking no Wigan players when attacking a corner in the last few minutes in a which was pretty much a must win game.

Yes we scored and yes we won but this is a sticky plaster to cover the overall ineptness of Johnson's tactical know-how and coaching ability

I'm pretty neutral about the whole LJ debate, mainly because nothing I think will make any difference and therefore not worth getting worked up over. However, it does seem sometimes like people have decided he'll get the blame whatever!

I'm quite sure that if we'd left one on one back, and then got caught on the break and lost, he'd have been blamed for that too. And breaking from deep is something Wigan do.

If every time we win/score it's down to luck or a mistake, but every time we lose/concede it's down to our tactics then it all becomes a bit of a futile argument. 

Yes we were poor, but we still had to win. The Wigan fans I spoke to after the game credited us with a much more determined and positive approach than them to the last 10 minutes, and felt we deserved our win on that basis. That was a tactical decision. 

37 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I'm pretty neutral about the whole LJ debate, mainly because nothing I think will make any difference and therefore not worth getting worked up over. However, it does seem sometimes like people have decided he'll get the blame whatever!

I never wanted him but was willing to give him a go however based on the last 6/7 months want him well away from our club. My feelings are based on not believing he had the right credentials for the job in hand and him providing evidence of that over the course of the season. I fully accept that regardless of what happens over the next 9 games, he will be here now until the end of the season, however, be in no doubt he is to blame for the position we are in and ultimately if we get relegated.  

I'm quite sure that if we'd left one on one back, and then got caught on the break and lost, he'd have been blamed for that too. And breaking from deep is something Wigan do.

Under the circumstances, leaving two at the back with runners ready would have been sufficient meaning you would have 8 in and around the box as opposed to 6 in the box against 11. It may well have worked Saturday but as a tactic it will fail the vast majority of times.

If every time we win/score it's down to luck or a mistake, but every time we lose/concede it's down to our tactics then it all becomes a bit of a futile argument. 

Over the course of a season, a coach's ability in picking teams, formations, tactics will provide the applicable results with the sprinkle of good/bad luck along the way. Since October, the number and manner of defeats and the number and manner of wins (wins but very poor performances against Rotherham and Wigan) provides a pretty compelling argument

Yes we were poor, but we still had to win. The Wigan fans I spoke to after the game credited us with a much more determined and positive approach than them to the last 10 minutes, and felt we deserved our win on that basis. That was a tactical decision. 

Determined and positive approach? A poor game between two dire sides and a scrambled goal in the last few minutes appears to be the view from most City fans there

9 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but didn't we win this crucial match?

Just because Wigan weren't good enough to take advantage of our mistakes doesn't mean the likes of Huddersfield won't punish us. We've dropped off way to much all season and it's one of the reasons we are where we are.

8 hours ago, italian dave said:

What gives you the right to come on here and present a rational argument, to think attending the game gives your viewpoint any credibility whatsoever and then take the time to gauge the views of some Wigan fans? People like you give football fans a bad name. Hang your head in shame....

Archived