IGNORED

NFL 2017 season.

Tipps69

Oh dear, The Raiders have had their move to Las Vegas approved by The NFL!!

I guess it was always on the cards, what with The Chargers relocating to LA & The Rams already being back there but this move really is going to upset a few, it only seems like a year ago that they moved back to Oakland from LA theirselves.

Just goes to show that money talks & apart from MK Dons, just how lucky we are with our football teams being kept in their geographical area.

Edit: It seems that this move won't actually go through for another 2 years, that's going to cause huge issues with a very passionate fan base, it'll make it a 1000mile round trip for a home game!!

53 minutes ago, Super said:

Sad times.

It is, considering how often The Raiders seem to of moved around recently, it's a wonder that they have any true identity at all.

Their planned stadium is supposedly going to cost $1bn & hold 55,000 spectators which in the grand scheme of things isn't the biggest of stadiums but then I do wonder how they anticipate ever filling that out.

I found it kind of ironic that the head honchos of The NFL weren't actually allowed to visit Vegas because of something to do with the gambling commission which in my eyes just proves the point even more that money talks as how was anybody from The NFL able to visit proposed sites & make sure that an area with no sporting history is suitable for a major NFL team?

Something just doesn't add up to me, maybe in time I'll understand it.........

It's often said that where America leads, we follow later. The old days where a team would receive its main income from gate receipts is slowly slipping away. Now the money - the power - is brought in from lots of sources (TV, media, and the great engine of world commerce: the internet) and that means the poor spectator is not so important anymore. Team owners look at the bottom line very closely, and if that means going to a new town with no previous record and building a new stadium (with an eye for a possible Superbowl) then that is the more profitable route they take.

I feel it will become almost inevitable that the game will inexorably evolve into an event that takes place in an empty venue, but is syndicated all over to paying subscribers who will watch it on their devices, wherever they are. Watch the play-off on your tablet in Australia, sir? Of course. A medium sized cheesehead hat, madam? Of course, we'll pack it today and send it to you in Shanghai. A ticket for the game, sir? Sorry, we don't sell them any more.

And where America leads...

12 hours ago, Erithacus said:

It's often said that where America leads, we follow later. The old days where a team would receive its main income from gate receipts is slowly slipping away. Now the money - the power - is brought in from lots of sources (TV, media, and the great engine of world commerce: the internet) and that means the poor spectator is not so important anymore. Team owners look at the bottom line very closely, and if that means going to a new town with no previous record and building a new stadium (with an eye for a possible Superbowl) then that is the more profitable route they take.

I feel it will become almost inevitable that the game will inexorably evolve into an event that takes place in an empty venue, but is syndicated all over to paying subscribers who will watch it on their devices, wherever they are. Watch the play-off on your tablet in Australia, sir? Of course. A medium sized cheesehead hat, madam? Of course, we'll pack it today and send it to you in Shanghai. A ticket for the game, sir? Sorry, we don't sell them any more.

And where America leads...

Sadly I suspect you're right there

Didn't the Raiders start off life in Oakland originally, they were LA Raiders when I got into the game many moons ago. Passionate fan base, that's for sure, but I've seen far more anger from San Diego fans online than Oakland. Maybe a larger, more spread out fan base creates less anger. I would think you'd have to be from, or have links to San Diego to support a beige team like that. Says a New Orleans fan from Gloucestershire!

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

Sadly I suspect you're right there

Didn't the Raiders start off life in Oakland originally, they were LA Raiders when I got into the game many moons ago. Passionate fan base, that's for sure, but I've seen far more anger from San Diego fans online than Oakland. Maybe a larger, more spread out fan base creates less anger. I would think you'd have to be from, or have links to San Diego to support a beige team like that. Says a New Orleans fan from Gloucestershire!

Yep, The Raiders have flip-flopped between Oakland & LA but seem to of always had their hardcore of supporters but I would guess they've lost fans over the years as the team has moved & this is the issue American teams have, they lose their identity.

I can't help but wonder if they had a different league format, maybe they would be able to keep their teams where they are or even expand the amount of teams competing in each sport / competition but as it is, teams go stale, supporters get bored of backing the same team that perform below their hopes for so long & know that they will never have any real success to look forward to.

But if you knew your team might get promotion or at least push for it once in a while it gives you a sense of hope, playing in a league where in theory your season is over after only four games, you can only get excited for so long.

And because areas know they can't start a team to gain promotion a couple of years down the line, they pump their money into moving a franchise to their area but they have no history to that team & soon the novelty wears off & the team gets moved again to another City that wants to see what it's like to have an NFL, MLB, MLS or NHL team.......

The MLS apparently weighed up the option of promotion & relegation & they decided that the fans wouldn't understand the format as they all understand how the NFL, MLB & NHL works which seems like a bit of a waste to me but then I'm used to our format of teams who do well get rewarded with getting promoted & those who fail get relegated!!

Back in the day NFL Commissioner Bert Bell introduced the draft. By allowing the worst performing team to take the first pick of the fresh college talent (and the champions taking the last of the round) it helped the problem we might recognise here in Premiership land - namely, the same old suspects winning and the rest perennial also-rans. This device has grown into a multi-million dollar money-spinner in itself, but has importantly tried to ensure every new season would hold hope for all teams and fans.

American sport is hugely supported when it's going well. When the team has a bad run or doesn't look like winning anything the crowds are notoriously fickle. Deep, passionate fans are there, but tend to be overshadowed by the fairweathers. Take a look at any cellar-dwellers and the empty seats are quick to appear. The NFL owners know this.

I agree that in theory a restructuring of the NFL would make sense (to us!) to have two or more tiers, with promotion and relegation making the interest last for longer. We know that works, but the American fan seems uncertain. I also agree that when a franchise moves around it makes it more difficult for a new city to risk affection, just in case they do another moonlight flit.

However, the bottom line (as ever) is the big dollar sign. Passion, history and success is usually outweighed by it. Yesterday is a long way away in the US of A.

Adrian Peterson rumoured to be visiting the Patriots!! Let's just hope it's last years version because if they get anywhere near a half decent Peterson, they'll be ridiculously good.

Does make me wonder how they're managing to fit all their players into the wage cap?

Archived