IGNORED

Johnson out ???

bpexile

1 hour ago, Robin1988 said:

Chopping and changing has got to have a lot to do with it. If your boss kept changing your department every five minutes, you'd probably not have much idea what you were meant to be doing.

Do we think LJ was responsible or was Pemberton or someone else, in the team or on The Board etc, pulling his strings? How free a hand does LJ have, as we have so many in 'the management' he may not be as free as SC for example

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

The OP isn't being "so positive towards LJ" he just wants him to succeed. Exactly the same as me. 

I'd much rather that LJ built on recent results (returned to last seasons and early this seasons form & optimism) that we need yet another change and new start, probably setting us back another year or 2. 

Can he do it? I don't know. Resent improvement leaves me hopeful, if not convinced. 

Wanting someone to succeed is one thing, believing he can is quite another.

The OP, through no fault of his own, is unable to watch many games, and yes, imo, seems to be showing a positivity towards LJ from afar that might be much reduced had he the opportunity to actually attend games regularly, and therefore be trudging out of AG most weeks, like many of us, disappointed and bewildered.

It goes without saying we all want every City manager to succeed. That's not really the point here though because we've seen with our own eyes that LJ is wildly inconsistent in terms of selections, formations, tactics ( and then, not surprisingly, results) which will almost certainly only lead to another season of struggle should he remain.

Now, is he showing signs of improvement to the extent more will start to agree with SL and believe he can become a successful Championship manager at BCFC?

One great performance and result means very little in that respect. If he shows some sort of consistency over the last 8 games in terms of team performance - the necessary results would doubtless follow - some might start to think he's got what appeared to be an ingrained arrogance that he was already the finished article out of his system, has been willing to learn from his mistakes, and is perhaps capable of changing his ways and improving as a coach.

In that case, and if we stay up, there may be a case for giving LJ until Christmas, but if the same faults reappear early next season there could be no reasoning behind a further delay in making a change.

If any of that appears to be me arguing on LJ's behalf then that would be based solely on an acceptance that SL appears immovable in his determination to keep him, so there is little alternative than trying to look for a positive slant on that situation - afaic there's no doubt he should have gone some time ago.

Btw, Why should making a change set us back a year or two? The whole idea of our set up is It should be fairly seamless.

One thing that would undoubtedly set the club back - and quite possibly for more than a year or two - would be to continue with the wrong man in charge.

35 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Do we think LJ was responsible or was Pemberton or someone else, in the team or on The Board etc, pulling his strings? How free a hand does LJ have, as we have so many in 'the management' he may not be as free as SC for example

SL seems to have people he trusts and people he doesn't. He didn't trust Coppell and wouldn't sanction Stead or Pitman, but when Millen wanted them a few weeks later he had a sudden change of heart.

Considering how he didn't appear to have much of a personal relationship with Cotterill but 100% didn't have any influence on what team he was putting out, I can't imagine he'd do it with LJ either.

2 hours ago, SARJ said:

A win against lower placed Wigan and a shock 4 nil in front of Sky Cameras won't change the fact that this has been a dire and disastrous season where it has actually been depressing to attend Ashton Gate.

Its been an utter shambles.  Staying up (if we do) is merely polishing a turd.

5 hours ago, Monkeh said:

to be fair we can still make mid table,

1 defeat and this place will be unbearable again,

beat Brentford and this place will be full of "I told you so" and fans lording other others,

Me personally I'm hoping we've turned a corner and johnson leads us to the title next season, although I'd be happier if he was sacked tomorrow 

Interesting point about being happier if he was sacked tomorrow.

I'm remain far from convinced that he is the right person to lead this club in the medium to long term.  It will take an enormous turnaround to change my opinion because, assuming we don't finish mid table this year, we have underachieved significantly given the investment. 

But would I welcome him being sacked tomorrow?  I'm not sure I would.  Having won our last two games, the second very convincingly, we suddenly have a bit of momentum, a bit of form, and a manager who seems to have finally found an effective system for these players.  At this specific point of the season, I'm not sure I would now say bringing in a new man would be a good idea.  The short term advantages of bringing in a new man were obvious a few games ago - to turn around our fortunes, get the team winning, and bring a "new manager" bounce.  But to be fair to Johnson, he seems to have achieved that himself over the last few games.  So what would be the short term advantage now?  I would say the disruption would now outweigh the benefit of having a more experienced coach at the helm.

So I would say on balance I would now stick with him until the end of the season - but I'd probably fire him then.

14 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Interesting point about being happier if he was sacked tomorrow.

I'm remain far from convinced that he is the right person to lead this club in the medium to long term.  It will take an enormous turnaround to change my opinion because, assuming we don't finish mid table this year, we have underachieved significantly given the investment. 

But would I welcome him being sacked tomorrow?  I'm not sure I would.  Having won our last two games, the second very convincingly, we suddenly have a bit of momentum, a bit of form, and a manager who seems to have finally found an effective system for these players.  At this specific point of the season, I'm not sure I would now say bringing in a new man would be a good idea.  The short term advantages of bringing in a new man were obvious a few games ago - to turn around our fortunes, get the team winning, and bring a "new manager" bounce.  But to be fair to Johnson, he seems to have achieved that himself over the last few games.  So what would be the short term advantage now?  I would say the disruption would now outweigh the benefit of having a more experienced coach at the helm.

So I would say on balance I would now stick with him until the end of the season - but I'd probably fire him then.

it was just me trying to say I don't really care what happens to Lee, I like him as a person and as a player but I'm far from convinced he's a head coach/manager, He prob would be a good coach/assistant as he's bright enough and talks a good game with confidence, he just lacks the authority to succeed imo,

We have 8 games left, if he can stay unbeaten winning half, then he would start to repair the damage he's overseen, but he still has a lot to do,

I do believe we've turned a corner though, just got that feeling  

13 hours ago, bpexile said:

Obviously because I live in Oz I don't attend matches until I get back to the UK when watching City is on my priority list, my reason for wanting him to succeed is because I dont like the merry go around of managers & I genuinely believe he does love the club. In saying that, if he isn't up to the job he should be replaced. That's why I asked the question - To see what the general feeling is.

He also said he "loved" Oldham Athletic when he was their manager..................  

3 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

Chopping and changing has got to have a lot to do with it. If your boss kept changing your department every five minutes, you'd probably not have much idea what you were meant to be doing.

My department hasn't changed in ten years and I still don't know what I'm meant to be doing .

36 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

it was just me trying to say I don't really care what happens to Lee, I like him as a person and as a player but I'm far from convinced he's a head coach/manager, He prob would be a good coach/assistant as he's bright enough and talks a good game with confidence, he just lacks the authority to succeed imo,

We have 8 games left, if he can stay unbeaten winning half, then he would start to repair the damage he's overseen, but he still has a lot to do,

I do believe we've turned a corner though, just got that feeling  

:fingerscrossed:

I'd like to thank all of those that posted, I think some took my question a little out of context because I wasn't defending LJ against all odds but merely trying to find out the present general feeling. Like most posters I want LJ or any other city head coach/manager to be successful, (a) For the supporters & (b) For the club. Again in saying that, if he's isn't up to the job then he has to replaced, hopefully in our coming fixtures we can get the results we need to build on. Thanks again for those that responded. :clap:

2 hours ago, Tiree said:

Chippenham Red has just summed up the last 4 months of Forum posts which have been (understandably depressing but at teh same time largely tinted by people who dont want the club to succeed - for whateve reason; Like Mr Hankey is probably Blue Few and Ivor and SAB are clearly not fans of manager, coach, Chairman, owner etc etc. Well we just have to accept we will never get a Forum full of people who want to support the Club and all it's component parts.

Lets see some good results in the last few games then have positive debates again this summer about our position in the transfer market and prospects for next season. They may be pretty good..and where will that leave all the 'LJ/MA/SL critics'? Pleasantly silent again we hope

We all want 'the club' to succeed, it's not difficult to grasp two concepts at one time, surely?

We want the club to be successful on and off the pitch, how we get there, the manner in which we do it and how we maintain the clubs identity are what the debates are about.

If we do well on and off the pitch I will be screaming from the rafters not become 'pleasantly silent'.  I'm becoming quite bored of those that suggest people raising valid concerns about our club somehow want it to fail, that's not debate it's idiocy.

Shambolic season.

Certainly in the LJ out camp, but...

...it is clear he is here until at least the end if the season. I want to be in the Championship next year. Given that, right now I will back the team for all I am worth.

Do not want to be in the 'told you so' club, and suspect there is a tiny minority of fans that do, whatever their view of LJ.

22 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

The OP isn't being "so positive towards LJ" he just wants him to succeed. Exactly the same as me. 

I'd much rather that LJ built on recent results (returned to last seasons and early this seasons form & optimism) that we need yet another change and new start, probably setting us back another year or 2. 

Can he do it? I don't know. Resent improvement leaves me hopeful, if not convinced. 

And the recent club record for consecutive losses leaves me convinced he's out of his depth.

8 hours ago, Tiree said:

Chippenham Red has just summed up the last 4 months of Forum posts which have been (understandably depressing but at teh same time largely tinted by people who dont want the club to succeed - for whateve reason; Like Mr Hankey is probably Blue Few and Ivor and SAB are clearly not fans of manager, coach, Chairman, owner etc etc. Well we just have to accept we will never get a Forum full of people who want to support the Club and all it's component parts.

Lets see some good results in the last few games then have positive debates again this summer about our position in the transfer market and prospects for next season. They may be pretty good..and where will that leave all the 'LJ/MA/SL critics'? Pleasantly silent again we hope

Dissent will not be tolerated! Did you take patronising sanctimony at A level? Or are you a tinfoil hatter? Because a lot of people can see that our manager is out of his depth, we want the club to crash and burn, to prove a point? FFS.

7 hours ago, bpexile said:

I'd like to thank all of those that posted, I think some took my question a little out of context because I wasn't defending LJ against all odds but merely trying to find out the present general feeling. Like most posters I want LJ or any other city head coach/manager to be successful, (a) For the supporters & (b) For the club. Again in saying that, if he's isn't up to the job then he has to replaced, hopefully in our coming fixtures we can get the results we need to build on. Thanks again for those that responded. :clap:

Most of the posters knew you weren't defending him mate. I think the whole LJ subject is just a very sore point at the moment and people tend to jump down people's throats for the very mention of LJ possibly being successful. For the record I'm not a LJ believer. Lovely guy, just don't think he's cut out to be a top manager. Pray to god I'm proved wrong  but just can't help thinking there are much better/more experienced managers out there at the moment and I feel he's done irreversible damage amongst some fans.

Even if, and it is still an if, LJ manages to keep us up, in the end analysis any independent reviewer would say we have massively underachieved this season given the investment in new players and the luxury of having Tammy on loan. I remain of the view this squad should have been good enough for comfortable mid-table as achieved by the likes of Preston with very little investment but an experienced good manager in place.

Hopefully we will survive, but it will be difficult to have any optimism for next season if LJ stays in charge.

28 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Even if, and it is still an if, LJ manages to keep us up, in the end analysis any independent reviewer would say we have massively underachieved this season given the investment in new players and the luxury of having Tammy on loan. I remain of the view this squad should have been good enough for comfortable mid-table as achieved by the likes of Preston with very little investment but an experienced good manager in place.

Hopefully we will survive, but it will be difficult to have any optimism for next season if LJ stays in charge.

I'm of the same opinion. The finance has been there, the support has been there, the squad has been there yet the only possible weakness, IMHO, is the head coach. With LJ in charge, I see very little to be positive about regarding our chances next season. I would love to be proved wrong but I just think he isn't currently good enough. 

Apologies if that doesn't meet with the new found levels of positivity but he has a hell of a lot to do to convince me he is anywhere near the standard required. With an experienced coach, we could have done well but I guess we'll ever know.

11 hours ago, Tiree said:

Big opinions and critical / naming of other posters

All from a newbie poster !!

Good start on the forum !!!!         Not

Me personally can't wait for the season to be over . And us remaining in the championship. Like it or not LJ is here to stay. I want him gone . But for the rest of the season I'm not going to wind myself up about him. I've renewed our season tickets. I'm just going to give a 100% backing to the team. The rest of it is seems i or we cannot affect. 

This is tricky now because if we stay up the probability is that LJ will get a new 5 year contract.

If we go down he will probably be given a new 5 year contract.

I want us desperately to stay up however if we do SL will think that LJ knows what he's doing and will not sack him . Equally, if he succeeds in keeping us in this league then it could be argued that he's turned the corner and it was all the fault of that nasty Pemberton bloke , so all will be forgiven.

It's Stist for me ! 

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Don't know Glyn

We will have to wait with bated breath for Mr Newbie to clarify 

Let's have a go at the new forumer for being new, that will help.

Don't agree with what he/she put, but I applaud him/her putting the names rather than making thinly veiled comments, he hasn't said anything nasty about anyone, just a misguided comment based on his/her thoughts.

It's also the type of thing some posters have been here longer have- again foolishly- said, but it's easier to have a go at the newbie.

For what it's worth, I think LJ and whoever is involved in transfers have brought in some very good players, the issue is Lee Johnson's management of said players and his tactical, or therefore lack of, decisions. We may have won 4-0 in our last game but that doesn;t change months of bad decisions. To me, it's like the club has invested in a really nice top of the range sports car and then put a clinically blind man in the driving seat and he's driven said car right into a lamppost. I say get a new driver before we repeat that mistake and write the car off entirely.

8 minutes ago, Spike said:

For what it's worth, I think LJ and whoever is involved in transfers have brought in some very good players, the issue is Lee Johnson's management of said players and his tactical, or therefore lack of, decisions. We may have won 4-0 in our last game but that doesn;t change months of bad decisions. To me, it's like the club has invested in a really nice top of the range sports car and then put a clinically blind man in the driving seat and he's driven said car right into a lamppost. I say get a new driver before we repeat that mistake and write the car off entirely.

I just don't have the words to express how much I like this post!

8 hours ago, Spike said:

or letting me drive for the Ferrari formula 1 team

Archived