IGNORED

Can Anybody Name...

Kid in the Riot

In terms of history Preston North End are bigger than City, though probably not currently better resourced. (I always wish City had retained the name Bristol South End, as we could have had matches between the ends) 

Every time I look at the Premier league and see Bournemouth and Burnley making progress I get annoyed.

Of course having a modern new stadium is a good thing but its not enough is it?

If we never get it right on the pitch the Premier League may as well be 10 divisions above us for all its worth.

Look how long we went without winning a division title. 

I don't care how other clubs are funded. 47 different teams have played in the top flight since the Premier League began. That's 51% of the league have worked out how to get there even if it was for a single season.

We are outside of a group of teams that contains Swindon, Bradford, Blackpool, Oldham and Wigan.I'm sorry but that's not good enough.

43 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

Every time I look at the Premier league and see Bournemouth and Burnley making progress I get annoyed.

Of course having a modern new stadium is a good thing but its not enough is it?

If we never get it right on the pitch the Premier League may as well be 10 divisions above us for all its worth.

Look how long we went without winning a division title. 

I don't care how other clubs are funded. 47 different teams have played in the top flight since the Premier League began. That's 51% of the league have worked out how to get there even if it was for a single season.

We are outside of a group of teams that contains Swindon, Bradford, Blackpool, Oldham and Wigan.I'm sorry but that's not good enough.

Is that right? Extraordinary. Makes the past 14 years under SL look even more shambolic.

Two clubs (Hull and Swansea) have even done it from L2 in the past 15 years... weren't Cardiff in the bottom league post-2000 too thinking about it?

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Is that right? Extraordinary. Makes the past 14 years under SL look even more shambolic.

.......weren't Cardiff in the bottom league post-2000 too thinking about it?

Yep its right and yep, Cardiff were in the bottom tier for one season in 2000/01.

It's pretty damning looking at how many clubs have got to the Premier League when we haven't. With the way this season is going the prospect of getting there is still very distant.

Having said that, I don't see any point in getting there for one season or so just so we've "done it". For many clubs who played in the top division it must seem like a distant memory (e.g. Swindle, Bolton, Coventry, Blackpool, Wigan, Portsmouth, Sheffield Utd, even Blackburn).

For now I'd just like us to consolidate in the Championship without being haunted by the spectre of bloody League 1, and with a sense that we are progressing towards a side who can consistently compete for a top six place. I wrongly thought that process was underway last summer.

This summer (if we avoid relegation) will be an interesting marker. The club won't have the same momentum as 2015 (promoted as champions) and 2016 (after a strong finish), season ticket sales will probably be lower, and we have a head coach and fairly big squad who have struggled. Is there scope for a clear-out? If so can we trust it would have any impact? Looks like an uncertain picture with the Premier League a long way off.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Two clubs (Hull and Swansea) have even done it from L2 in the past 15 years... weren't Cardiff in the bottom league post-2000 too thinking about it?

One has even gone from L1 to Premier League Champions (in a shorter timescale too)

Look along the M4 corridor, Reading, Swindon, Cardiff, Swansea, all had/have Premier League football. Look who's missing. Bristol with its 2 teams absolutely nowhere. It really is embarrassing. Swansea doing well I think dispels the myth that our problem is location, look at Bournemouth for goodness sake, we're their little club down the road that they loan players to. I remember going to all those clubs and their shitty little grounds. Save for Swindon, they've all woken up and waved as they've passed us. When was the last time we had any sustained success? The 1970s? Since then it's been the odd promotion to the championship and cling on by our fingernails for a few seasons until we're put out of our misery. I know nobody has a right to top flight football, but a city of this size, a club of our stature and potential really should be having a go at it every now and then, if it was run properly. 

Embarrassing doesn't feel a strong enough word for it.  

Archived