IGNORED

Why does a season of struggle turn so vicious?

reddogkev

4 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Perhaps a psychological question, but it's happened for years with us - we struggle in this division and some of our fans become overly cruel, crude, warring, sometimes even mad people.

Insults become the norm, the manager is often ripped to shreds and abused online, and everyone to do with the club becomes a target for abuse and questions arise over their commitment and their worth to the club.  SL usually picks up his fair share of stick, even though he's probably invested well over £50 million in the club during his time.

Even now, after a bad 45 minutes against a good Brentford team, the usual section of people are aiming abuse at all they can target.  You know things are serious when the 'suits' are blamed for the ills on the pitch.

And the sort of crap I hear about LJ is beyond belief.  One chap on here suggesting he is assaulted, as that may force his hand.  Honestly, are we Rag ass Rovers?

I feel people have to accept that 3 teams are relegated each and every season.  This is part of our football life.  No, it doesn't make it any easier to tolerate and I wish we would survive and flourish, but why does it always become so melodramatic and vindictive?

I support City because my Dad does and I am raised in South Bristol.  I support them in the face of relegation and when we often win promotion.  It's all part of the ride.

If you've read this far, I am shocked by the outrage on here all because the players were crap for the first half against Brentford, and conceded 2 goals.  What did I miss?

I think it's called the plot.....

• Admin
1 hour ago, italian dave said:

No he doesn't. And as one of the moderators who has, amongst other things in the past few weeks, had to take down posts asking where LJ lives I'm surprised that you find abuse, intimidation and threats of physical assault to be acceptable.

No offence, but that is nonsense.

My point was that we are fully entitled to boo him and chant for him to be sacked - there wasn't any mention of physical abuse 

41 minutes ago, phantom said:

My point was that we are fully entitled to boo him and chant for him to be sacked - there wasn't any mention of physical abuse 

Well said Phantom

And true

And why shouldn't moderators have their opinions ?  (Within the same boundaries we all do) 

Jesus Wept - anything to suit people's agendas

They are (unpaid) moderators who give their time and are City fans , as we all are

4 hours ago, italian dave said:

Of course it's not. But I'm not sure it's fair to lay the blame for that entirely at LJ's door. 

As Ive said before elsewhere, the only manager who ever really broke that mould began with several seasons of struggle at the foot of the old 2nd division. 

Of course you can't blame everything on LJ.  I'm talking about the broader issue of our constant failure over the years to establish ourselves as anything more than a L1/Championship yo-yo side, as the OP alluded to in his opening sentence.  That has a cumulative effect that heightens the frustration when we see the same thing happening over and over again.

7 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Perhaps a psychological question, but it's happened for years with us - we struggle in this division and some of our fans become overly cruel, crude, warring, sometimes even mad people.

Insults become the norm, the manager is often ripped to shreds and abused online, and everyone to do with the club becomes a target for abuse and questions arise over their commitment and their worth to the club.  SL usually picks up his fair share of stick, even though he's probably invested well over £50 million in the club during his time.

Even now, after a bad 45 minutes against a good Brentford team, the usual section of people are aiming abuse at all they can target.  You know things are serious when the 'suits' are blamed for the ills on the pitch.

And the sort of crap I hear about LJ is beyond belief.  One chap on here suggesting he is assaulted, as that may force his hand.  Honestly, are we Rag ass Rovers?

I feel people have to accept that 3 teams are relegated each and every season.  This is part of our football life.  No, it doesn't make it any easier to tolerate and I wish we would survive and flourish, but why does it always become so melodramatic and vindictive?

I support City because my Dad does and I am raised in South Bristol.  I support them in the face of relegation and when we often win promotion.  It's all part of the ride.

If you've read this far, I am shocked by the outrage on here all because the players were crap for the first half against Brentford, and conceded 2 goals.  What did I miss?

I've supported and stuck by the club when we'v been relegated or gone through bad patches before. But the current situation is beyond a joke. Teetering on relegation with an inept manager backed by a clueless brand owner who refuses to sack him due to a daft contract with players only interested in playing when they can sell themselves in front of Sky cameras.

We, the paying fans, are then 'told off' for voicing our discontent by our illustrious owner. Joke. Whole situation stinks. Completely sympathize with anyone who criticizes the manager and establishment running our club. No need to make it personal, but certainly the fans should have a voice.

7 hours ago, NickJ said:

You missed our owner sacking one of the most successful managers in our history following a difficult period caused in no small part by said owners failure to support him in identified targets needed to strengthen us in a higher division.

Followed by said owner replacing successful manager with a divisive figure with a win rate of 35% in League One, backing him with sums of money denied to previous successful manager, and continued support by said owner for manager with zero man management or leadership qualities, during a period incidentally which saw crap manager take the Bristol City record for consecutive losses.

That's what you missed.

I cannot give this enough likes.

5 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

But he wasn't lumbered by an oligarchic owner who has shovelled money into the club but who does not have much clue about hiring a manager/head coach who is proven at Championship level.

Harry Dolman was a chairman who gave managers time and was a much better judge of a good manager than SL.

HD got it right three times out of four. Pat Beasley (7 years tenure, 3rd Div Champions) Peter Doherty (2 years, dressing room problems because of lifelong promises made by HD after Beasley's promotion) Fred Ford (7 years, promoted 1964-65) and AD (13 years, promotion to Div One and kept us there four years)

So, devils advocate, SL has now realised he's got it wrong the past few years and now sticking for the long term. There's one thing those three successes HD had and that's length of tenure. And another is that none were instant success. 

43 minutes ago, Tiree said:

I think it quite simple.

Some of us have supported City for decades and know that times have changed over this time with the media, money, agents, foreign owners, etc etc. Some people on this forum cant recall these days so go along with the modern fad of bitterley complaining about everything with their club (apart from their own fans); own players, own coaches, own manager, own board and own owner.

This is a recent fad and it wont last for ever but it is here this decade where every club up and down the country (well probably 80 out of the 92) has a very large number of vociforous (keyboard warriors) who just love to complain. Taking the example given of Arsenal; is it 17 years of Top 4 finishes (truly remarkable) and two FA Cups in 3 seasons (almost as remarkable) and this current era of 'fans' (they arent supporters in my book) just love to bitch and complain about what they would like to see; rarely suggesting practical alternatives, ie which coach THEY would bring in today when they tell SL to order that taxi for LJ. The vast majority of City fans are reasonable, all are perfectly entitled to express their frustration but not enough are balanced in their views.

Many of the older generation will remember going up and down the land supporting, singing (and worse) for this club whilst it went through relegation battles in this league and lower. We also remember when our supporters base was much, much more loyal than it is today. Quoting 43000 going to Wembley is fine but our support away at many games over the past few years has, (IMO) been really poor; both in numbers and vocal support.. Most of the 'chants' have also been purile. How many went to Bradford to see the finest away moment in donkeys years? Pathetic

To stay with the positive, we can get something tomorrow and on Saturday and even at Blackburn where we will know about the outcome for this season. Meantime, keep the faith and get behind the players.

I think the opposite is true, I'd check the ages of those showing blind faith on this forum vs. those showing genuine concern for BCFC.

I'm 40, my father in his 70's, this is not about instant success it's about the club not feeling ours anymore. I'm pretty sure most of those expressing their displeasure are over 40.

This is not purely about league position.

It's those who hold beliefs such as yours that have been sucked in by the modern the game.

I can cope with the modern way if we play at the top level, however we appear to have sterile corporate football which may well be in Div 3 next season.

We won't even be allowed a terrace back, which is a massive positive in that league.

SL is delivering the worst of both worlds, and that's ******* tragic.

4 hours ago, phantom said:

Yes there was. Look at the thread title. Look at the OP. That's exactly what it's about: how the reaction of some ( and I accept it's a small minority) has been abuse and in some instances threats of physical abuse. And sadly that's been the case. Not disputing anyone's right to boo or chant, if they think that helps, but the whole point of the OP was how far beyond that some of the reaction has gone. 

1 hour ago, Tiree said:

I think it quite simple.

Some of us have supported City for decades and know that times have changed over this time with the media, money, agents, foreign owners, etc etc. Some people on this forum cant recall these days so go along with the modern fad of bitterley complaining about everything with their club (apart from their own fans); own players, own coaches, own manager, own board and own owner.

I'd suggest that the majority of articulate posts in this thread come from those with decades of experience supporting City.

As one of those oldsters...a member of an away following of around 30 back in the day...on another occasion watched Corinthian Casuals hold us to a draw at their place...I consider myself to have won my "loyalty" stripes trailing around the lower divisions. The sentiment I'd echo from many other posts is that this season offered so much more. When I watched the players troop off the pitch having lost to Norwich almost 37 years ago to the month I think it was reasonable to imagine more than one decent crack at a return to the top flight in the years to come. 

If you can't complain about this season I'm not sure when it's acceptable. SL and LJ have had it very lucky, barely an audible squeak of dissent. All very easy for them to shrug off. I'd suggest that the problem isn't that City fans lack patience, it's the polar opposite, they passively sit there and accept mediocrity...which let's face it, is what the Lansdown years have been all about. 

9 hours ago, reddogkev said:

best thread on here for months! Agree with all your views

7 hours ago, italian dave said:

No he doesn't. And as one of the moderators who has, amongst other things in the past few weeks, had to take down posts asking where LJ lives I'm surprised that you find abuse, intimidation and threats of physical assault to be acceptable.

Anything that brings out the passion in it's devotees will have it's fundaMENTALISTS, sport, religion, politics etc. and it is wrong in every way when people even in jest suggest the things that you mention.

However your defence of LJ and your mention of the early AD days imho makes little sense, AD had nack all to spend and had to make sure the money that he spent was wisely spent and the players always played for him.

Including loans LJ has signed more players in 12 months than I expect AD made in 5 seasons, name one of LJ's signings that we would even get our money back on let alone make a profit on, of course it can all be laid at his door nobody can be that unluckly over the close to 6 months of utter shambles, he is out of his depth that is so glaringly obvious.

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

And you can guarantee that we will stay up  with Steves  'puppet'  (Your words) in charge ?

I know why that was on there and you don't and you never will. So you can use it as much as you like but my real personal views haven't changed

1 minute ago, iamsober said:

I know why that was on there and you don't and you never will. So you can use it as much as you like but my real personal views haven't changed

You called him Lansdowns Puppet on appointment (On more than one occasion) so what's made you turn a complete circle ?

Genuinely intrigued

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

So, devils advocate, SL has now realised he's got it wrong the past few years and now sticking for the long term. There's one thing those three successes HD had and that's length of tenure. And another is that none were instant success. 

And none have such a shitty record, especially over the past close to 6 months, a record breaking record.

There is no need for us to be 1 point above the relegation zone.

With what we have in support, backing and the resources, Our spends have bee appalling. Ones for the future yeah the future is league one.

Engval (yes he with the splinter and a plane ticket home) Patterson, Brownhill, Magnusson for a start. Are they no good the league position says yes? 

Giefer Hegler brought in to bolster the first team in the window sat on the bench.... brought in to make us bigger along with 6ft7 forward well that didn't work...Never saw that one coming. 

Korey Smith is our first choice right back, as the one position we were obviously struggling at was RB. Matthews WTF

Lucic awful, have you watched him!!

Our only forward worth his salt is a loanee

Freeman and Ayling bashing the door down to get away from the ******* dwarf! 

Taylor great fun stealing him from the gas was fun, but missed another sitter

Tomlin can only be assed occasionally as he is obviously fighting with LJ constantly....I'm not even sure why I am bothering

This season was not necessary which was why so many are angry. Put that with the refusal to see sense and you get what you have....A lot of massively pissed off people

Wake the **** up!

Just now, iamsober said:

gates will average over 15000 with or without your favourite manager

League one with Johnson in charge? Really? 

Have you not read the posts from the old guard that have plummeted through the divisions and held on? This is different in so many ways.

No fight.

Owner admonishing us for complaining.

Some feeling the soul has left the club.

Shared stadium.

Owner focusing on several clubs at a time.

The sickening amount of money spent on transfers and wages.

I don't know how old you are but just think of the match day wages that were paid to that shambles of a manager and the players on the pitch Saturday?  

Its an embarrassment.

Archived