IGNORED

I Don't Think We Need A Striker

Oakleyson

Sorry, but I don't want another Striker. I think we need cover for Phillips, possibly buy to replace Carey, unless Amankwaah is fit or Harley is any good. Our striking options look fine to me. Here's my take on the squad .......

1. Steve Phillips - A starter

Phillips needs cover, is there a youngster on the books? Stowell might be ok as a stand-in for a mid-week LDV game, but anything else would worry me. We need to find a new young keeper, having let one go to Wardy, who saved 3 pens in one match!!

2. ?????????? - Is Ryan Harley any good? Is Amankwaah fit again? Could be we need to replace Carey with cover for Right Back

3. Mickey Bell - Ok, aged, but known quantity, and we have cover. Woodman.

4. Tommy Doherty - A starter

5. Danny Coles - A starter

6. Matt Hill - Hope he signs. If we need a flat back four I wouldn't be upset to see Clayton start with Colesy.

7. Scott Murray - A starter, and could be covered by Hawkins?

8. Leroy Lita -

Will either force his way in or not, but starts on the bench for me.

9. Paul Heffernan - A starter, and we have competition and cover. Roberts etc

10. Lee Miller - A starter, and we have cover. Gillespie?

11. Brian Tinnion -

The Boss, so who knows. But I think Wilkshire (even though he is right footed) or Goodfellow can cover on the left. Obviously his footballing brain is harder to cover on the pitch, but let's hope he can cover for this in his teamtalks, selections and sideline presence

12. Tony Butler -

Cover and tactical switch if needed for tough aerial bombardment games

14. Luke Wilkshire -

Should be a starter, if we go with a 3-5-2 then put in behind the two strikers

15. Craig Woodman - Bench and useful left sided cover

16. Clayton Fortune -

Should/could become a regular. Could even cover for central midfield

17. Bradley Orr - A starter

18. Christian Roberts -

Bench/Starter depends on form/attitude/confidence and or desire if he is not in the running early in the season

19. Steven Gillespie -

Blood him slowly, build confidence - will be useful cover at least, but who knows could be pushing for a starting spot. Heff and Gillespie upfront, might work?

20. Kevin Amankwaah -

Is he fit again or not, don't know, haven't heard anything for a long time

21. Ryan Harley - How good is he, thought I heard he is not bad. Right Back?

22. Marc Goodfellow -

Sub at least, 2nd half cover for Tins, when we are 2 or 3 up !!

23. Darren Hawkins -

If he's good enough should become a sub or push through for more consideration. Is supposed to be handy, isn't he?

24. Sekani Simpson -

Haven't a clue, sorry. Might be defensive cover. Thought he made it into the England youth team, didn't he? Anyone seen him play?

25. Joe Anyinsah - Midfield cover, is he a winger?

26. Craig Loxton - Central midfield, untested

27. Mike Stowell - Probably more of a coach, than reliable cover

Have you lot got any other views?

14 & 18 should have there comments reversed, another proven goalscorer is needed as goals or lack of them were the only thing that kept us in this poo division. :dunno:

• Admin

Those of us who have watched the reserves with any sort of frequency all appear to rate Harley strongly though to be fair a lot of us rated Cleverley when he was at the club too. Harley is primarily a right-back but has also featured in a defensive 3, as a wingback, or as a wide midfielder (hesitant to say "winger") all with a certain amount of success. Given this versatility, I wouldn't be surprised to see him cope on the right hand side of a midfield 3 either.

Loxton is I suspect a little too "slight" to impose himself on the 1st team just yet.

Anyinsah is a winger who is just as adept at playing on either wing. Someone who likes to get the ball on the deck and run at full-backs.

Only time will tell if any of them make it though.....

I was not trying to predict a formation or starting 11, just looking at the squad as a whole and what positional cover or competition we have.

Thanks for the feedback on Harley and Anyinsah.

Is there any word on Amankwaah, is he fit and in pre-season training?

Archived