IGNORED

Time to go Lansdown

Cider red

41 minutes ago, gazza1982 said:

Ok let's look at Cardiff and Hull owners 

Cardiff - changed the colour of their kit from blue to red, changed the colour of the seats, tried changing club name to "Cardiff dragons", signing players without speaking to the manager, not supporting the current manager financially.

Hull - Tried changing the name of club to "Hull tigers", huge increases in tickets prices, failing to support Bruce was led to him quitting.

Try speaking to a couple of our Welsh friends or Hull fans and you'll find despite our league positions they would instantly trade owners.

I'm not so sure! I know Hull supporters very well. My in-laws are die-hards. The current owner isn't popular...far from it!...but would they have traded the most successful years in their club's history for the, by contrast, mediocrity of the past Lansdown decade?...I'd be amazed if they would.

I don't have a particular beef with the Lansdowns. I think they lack the right advice or don't seek it. But the best defence of their ownership can't simply be that there are worse owners out there...there are also far better. And it's the better they should be seeking to emulate. The frustration is that they make the same mistakes over and over again. What's needed at any football club is a manager capable of delivering your on-pitch ambitions. SC was a perfect hire for League 1 and delivered. What is needed is to look at that appointment, learn from what went right and repeat it. LJ was an unproven gamble and has failed...

10 hours ago, frenchred said:

Why? They are killing our club while we stand and watch them (some like you probably applaud them) do it

I would rather have Steve Lansdown than some faceless foreign owners who doesn't know anything about football or the club that they are buying. 

Yes he has made mistakes, like all of us do in life but he has Bristol city in his best interests. He's not a billionaire without taking risks.  

14 minutes ago, kiwicolin said:

I would rather have Steve Lansdown than some faceless foreign owners who doesn't know anything about football or the club that they are buying. 

Yes he has made mistakes, like all of us do in life but he has Bristol city in his best interests. He's not a billionaire without taking risks.  

Good for you, enjoy playing the likes of Fleetwood ad nauseam then..

23 minutes ago, kiwicolin said:

Oh I dunno, Man U, Chelsea and Man City seem to be doing pretty well with foreign owners

You have to accept that Football Clubs are ran either by huge conglomerates or very wealthy individuals at the top level. It all depends on what type of owner you want . The dictator type, the thrifty type , the off their trolley type. Weve got one who seems to have lost his way and doesn't know what type he is. 

It would be great to go back to the old days and smoke on the enclosure, sing in the east end and get soaked in the open end but footballs changed since Hillsborough and Bradford. People can still go and support Bristol Manor Farm or the Horfield lot.

Other clubs seem to accommodate singing/standing fans and seems like we are going to so problems aren't insurmountable. It seems like some listening takes place. It's just the bloody football side of things . I've got all the answers to that so just PM me Steve and I'm willing to help.

1 hour ago, kiwicolin said:

Does he bollocks.

The only best interest he has is his own.

If he had Bristol City Football Club's best interests at heart we wouldn't be in this ******* mess.

Hang on. I've re-read your post. You didn't mention the football club did you? You mentioned Bristol City. Now if you mean the City of Bristol I might agree.

Bit like George Ferguson. Pedalling their own self fulfilling prophecy to achieve their own aims under the guise of doing good.

I've come to despise them both.

14 minutes ago, redapple said:

You have to accept that Football Clubs are ran either by huge conglomerates or very wealthy individuals at the top level. It all depends on what type of owner you want . The dictator type, the thrifty type , the off their trolley type. Weve got one who seems to have lost his way and doesn't know what type he is. 

It would be great to go back to the old days and smoke on the enclosure, sing in the east end and get soaked in the open end but footballs changed since Hillsborough and Bradford. People can still go and support Bristol Manor Farm or the Horfield lot.

Other clubs seem to accommodate singing/standing fans and seems like we are going to so problems aren't insurmountable. It seems like some listening takes place. It's just the bloody football side of things . I've got all the answers to that so just PM me Steve and I'm willing to help.

No we don't 

ca8b97d8d55cdf5976cab22ef62b07d176b03144

14 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

No we don't 

ca8b97d8d55cdf5976cab22ef62b07d176b03144

So the Portsmouth models the answer then ? Fair enough. I can't see how they could survive in the top 2 divisions for long, but creating a good atmosphere and having some success in Div1/2 in an old fashioned stadium would appeal to many especially as they had been on the brink of not existing . 

27 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Does he bollocks.

If he had Bristol City Football Club's best interests at heart we wouldn't be in this ******* mess.

Hang on. I've re-read your post. You didn't mention the football club did you? You mentioned Bristol City. Now if you mean the City of Bristol I might agree.

Bit like George Ferguson. Pedalling their own self fulfilling prophecy to achieve their own aims under the guise of doing good.

You have nailed it there fella, my sentiments exactly,complete fraud of a man who thinks because of his wealth he is beyond any criticism, i to despise him with a passion.

Just now, redapple said:

So the Portsmouth models the answer then ? Fair enough. I can't see how they could survive in the top 2 divisions for long, but creating a good atmosphere and having some success in Div1/2 in an old fashioned stadium would appeal to many especially as they had been on the brink of not existing . 

Of the five most successful teams in the European Cup/Champions League, three are majority supporter owned. You don't need a sugar daddy to be successful. 

7 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Of the five most successful teams in the European Cup/Champions League, three are majority supporter owned. You don't need a sugar daddy to be successful. 

So let's try and raise whatever it takes to buy the club. If it's just the football club and we rent the stadium it shouldn't be to much .

To buy Bristol Sport including the stadium would be £50 million ? 

Cant see to many problems running it as a committee. I mean OTIB is full of like minded opinions...

- What would we do if he left, hope somebody else came in and took it over? 

- Who would come in that has a more genuine affinity with the club and city?

- People call 'Bristol Sport' souless, but what has it taken away from our club? If not just enhanced other sports.

- Regarding his decisions, Johnson aside, has anyone disagreed with Lansdowns decisions at the time he's made them?

- What would the people critising him have done differently? 

3 minutes ago, redapple said:

So let's try and raise whatever it takes to buy the club. If it's just the football club and we rent the stadium it shouldn't be to much .

To buy Bristol Sport including the stadium would be £50 million ? 

Cant see to many problems running it as a committee. I mean OTIB is full of like minded opinions...

The purchase would be hard but running the club wouldn't be too different to now but those running the club are accountable to the fans, not SL.

5 minutes ago, redapple said:

Not proposing this ...

But in Europe what can occur is business activities are out sourced and that organisation stays in the backroom unlike Bristol Sport.

The football decisions are taken by true football people. Unlike what seems to be occurring at BCFC.

Identity assets are not rebranded but are kept under control of the fans via the FC. Unlike BS/BCFC.

This anarchy works at Dortmund to Munich to ... 

2 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Not proposing this ...

But in Europe what can occur is business activities are out sourced and that organisation stays in the backroom unlike Bristol Sport.

The football decisions are taken by true football people. Unlike what seems to be occurring at BCFC.

Identity assets are not rebranded but are kept under control of the fans via the FC. Unlike BS/BCFC.

Who are "true football people"? Got any examples?

4 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Not proposing this ...

...Barcelona to Real Madrid to...

14 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

It seems to me that the bile, hatred, jealousy, and contempt for Lee Johnson (which in my opinion is completely overblown and out of order) has spilled over on to Steve Lansdown.  It shows that many of our fans are pretty revolting human beings. It is certainly not a simple thing to run a rapidly growing and ambitious business like Bristol Sport, which has given us excellent facilities and big budgets.  We used to lurch from crisis to crisis - had an antiquated stadium and frequently a terrible pitch! Steve had given us so much, and is due a little respect.  In spite of the current situation we can rely on Steve to keep pushing onwards and upwards. I hope he is not put off by the types on this forum because he does not need to be doing this and we would all live to regret it if he decided to jack it in - because people decided to try to rock the boat until it capsized.  As I said - be careful what you wish for!

Hate's a strong word and not one I'd reserve for SL or LJ, but every City supporter should be questioning SL's football decisions based on a string of inadequate managerial appointments spanning a decade or more. The common theme has been he consistently takes the cheap, inexperienced option and then backs those underqualified men with funds which are pissed away. That is not pushing City "onwards and upwards".

Neither you or anyone else has a crystal ball to predict our future if SL left, but I'd guess we're in a position where we'd be attractive to any potential new owners. What's the worse that could happen? We slide down the leagues, play youngsters with a bit of desire and the club begins to get its heart and soul back. Doesn't sound too bad to me if our dictator throws his toys out of the pram.

You're right to point out SL has "given us so much and is due a little respect". I respect him as an excellent benefactor but an abysmal, unaccountable decision-maker. The bottom line, IMO, is if he/his ego cannot admit he's made the latest in a long line of catastrophic mistakes, his time is up and he needs to go. I have no faith in him to surround himself by, for example, David Dein-like characters in the boardroom that are needed to drive this club forward. It's jobs for the boys at the moment.

3 minutes ago, tin said:

Hate's a strong word and not one I'd reserve for SL or LJ, but every City supporter should be questioning SL's football decisions based on a string of inadequate managerial appointments spanning a decade or more. The common theme has been he consistently takes the cheap, inexperienced option and then backs those underqualified men with funds which are pissed away. That is not pushing City "onwards and upwards".

Neither you or anyone else has a crystal ball to predict our future if SL left, but I'd guess we're in a position where we'd be attractive to any potential new owners. What's the worse that could happen? We slide down the leagues, play youngsters with a bit of desire and the club begins to get its heart and soul back. Doesn't sound too bad to me if our dictator throws his toys out of the pram.

You're right to point out SL has "given us so much and is due a little respect". I respect him as an excellent benefactor but an abysmal, unaccountable decision-maker. The bottom line, IMO, is if he/his ego cannot admit he's made the latest in a long line of catastrophic mistakes, his time is up and he needs to go. I have no faith in him to surround himself by, for example, David Dein-like characters in the boardroom that are needed to drive this club forward. It's jobs for the boys at the moment.

:clap:

6 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Who are "true football people"? Got any examples?

At the very top Bayern Munich Beckenbauer, Hoeness, Rummenigge were involved at the front end of football decision making at Bayern. Operations are divided into different aspects. Football people look after football. Business people the business ..

Mr Lansdown is looking after Lee Johnson due to ? Where's the advice? There are people on the board at BCFC who cannot in any way be described as knowledgeable about football. 

2 hours ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Does he bollocks.

Being a bit self-centred - having his own interests at heart - is not unique to SL amongst football owners. Or human beings. And it is not in itself a terrible thing; anyone who thinks Mother Teresa was selfless is deluded, imho. A bit of self-interest is fine; likewise ego. People that make SL's amount of money need plenty of both to make their fortune. Or unbelievable good fortune.

No, self-interest and ego are not the problem. The problem is simply that when it comes to football, and football nous, and making key football decisions, SL is just shit.

16 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

SL owns the club and the stadium so there's no third party involved even if some of the assets are allocated in different company structures

16 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

It seems to me that the bile, hatred, jealousy, and contempt for Lee Johnson (which in my opinion is completely overblown and out of order) has spilled over on to Steve Lansdown.  It shows that many of our fans are pretty revolting human beings. It is certainly not a simple thing to run a rapidly growing and ambitious business like Bristol Sport, which has given us excellent facilities and big budgets.  We used to lurch from crisis to crisis - had an antiquated stadium and frequently a terrible pitch! Steve had given us so much, and is due a little respect.  In spite of the current situation we can rely on Steve to keep pushing onwards and upwards. I hope he is not put off by the types on this forum because he does not need to be doing this and we would all live to regret it if he decided to jack it in - because people decided to try to rock the boat until it capsized.  As I said - be careful what you wish for!

Why are you on this forum BF? Revolting human beings eh? What little credibility you had with me has gone over to ignore. I do admire your sentiment in what SL has done but your lack of seeing the big picture I put down to my assumption of your age ie I suspect, 13 to 15 years of age? Anyway, SL is making the investment for himself and Bristol Sport, he does not care about the fan base which is evident from his lack of communications. 

Bristol Sports mandate is to control the professional sports in Bristol, hence the name. This is a dictatorship in the making. It becomes a legacy with any input from the likes of you or I being devoid of any welcome on the part of BS. 

Please open your eyes and see for what it's worth. The team is indirectly communicating with us that things are not right. Grow some balls and a brain BF. 

Just now, ontariored said:

Why are you on this forum BF? Revolting human beings eh? What little credibility you had with me has gone over to ignore. I do admire your sentiment in what SL has done but your lack of seeing the big picture I put down to my assumption of your age ie I suspect, 13 to 15 years of age? Anyway, SL is making the investment for himself and Bristol Sport, he does not care about the fan base which is evident from his lack of communications. 

Bristol Sports mandate is to control the professional sports in Bristol, hence the name. This is a dictatorship in the making. It becomes a legacy with any input from the likes of you or I being devoid of any welcome on the part of BS. 

Please open your eyes and see for what it's worth. The team is indirectly communicating with us that things are not right. Grow some balls and a brain BF. 

Thank you for your concern about my person, intellect and age.  For what it may be worth, I have calculated that I have watched not far short of 2000 City matches over the last 50 years as a supporter.  I also have a degree in philosophy and retired after a successful business career and now have a "comfortable" life.  For all my many faults, I have seen a great deal and feel able to form opinions as a result.  Maybe you don't agree with those opinions and feel that insulting people like other posters, SL and LJ is the way to make your point.  Maybe you should respect other points of view and realise that the people running the club are trying very hard and maybe deserve a little support and appreciation. Maybe you feel more comfortable following the mob.  Each to his own I suppose.

13 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Thank you for your concern about my person, intellect and age.  For what it may be worth, I have calculated that I have watched not far short of 2000 City matches over the last 50 years as a supporter.  I also have a degree in philosophy and retired after a successful business career and now have a "comfortable" life.  For all my many faults, I have seen a great deal and feel able to form opinions as a result.  Maybe you don't agree with those opinions and feel that insulting people like other posters, SL and LJ is the way to make your point.  Maybe you should respect other points of view and realise that the people running the club are trying very hard and maybe deserve a little support and appreciation. Maybe you feel more comfortable following the mob.  Each to his own I suppose.

I don't know how far down this club has to go before you revise your opinion but in all my years of supporting our team I have never enjoyed watching them less, and nothing I have seen or heard from anybody indicates this will change anytime soon.

22 minutes ago, Gibson said:

I don't know how far down this club has to go before you revise your opinion but in all my years of supporting our team I have never enjoyed watching them less, and nothing I have seen or heard from anybody indicates this will change anytime soon.

It has been a bit of a trial recently, I agree. At the present time all we can do is to get to the end of the season and se where we are. Many of those promising young players may be better equipped next season and with a few choice additions, we may just be a surprise package.  I believe that we, the fans, have to try to drag them over that line to make sure we are, hopefully, not relegated.  That is why I keep banging on about positive support because I doubt if they will improve whilst we are booing them!

5 hours ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Does he bollocks.

It seems as though the face less bristol sport is taking over its a disaster from start to finish 2 of sl clubs getting relegated when will you learn 

I'm torn on this.

On one hand, Lansdown and the board have been a part of some ******* awful decisions, and it's as clear as day that they believe they are in no way responsible for our first relegation and this relegation fight. They continue to push the five pillars, even though it's relegated us once already, and I guarantee that if we make it back to the Championship we'll see another "head coach" brought in to continue the boards vision.

On the other, Bristol City simply will not survive without Lansdown. If Lansdown leaves, we'll be a League 2 side that will crumble in debt and slide into obscurity. He's inserted a lot of money into the club, and even though it was poorly spent, he still deserves respect for all the money he's put in.

For the fans, it's a lose-lose situation. He's ****** the club, but as the owner he's ultimately entitled to.

Archived