IGNORED

West Country Sunday Independent IS BACK!! (Merged)

roylegalatyeo

On 10/04/2017 at 18:51, Portland Bill said:

I've been buying it for about 40 years, over the last 5 years it's been the only paper I have bought. It was great for all the local non league and the district leagues match reports and club news.

I will miss all the following weeks local fixture lists, it's now going to be a case of trawling through different websites to see whose playing when.

A real shame that it's gone, I would much rather read about the likes of Paulton Rovers than the Sunday tabloid fascination with the Premier League.

You don't buy the morning star????

On ‎10‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 12:19, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Terry was always a bit prickly with the local press.  I always put it down to him being a Yorkshireman...

If always remember that in about 1986 the Evening Post quoted Cooper, after a match in which a City player was sent off, as posing the question "Is football a game for men or poofs?".  How times have changed.

Oi! No need fer owt like that, yer soft wazzock....

37 minutes ago, oldrosie said:

I - Peter Godsiff does a golf column .... didn't he cover City in the 60s for the Post?

And Peter covered City in the 70's and early 80's. He also wrote an excellent book on the history of  BCFC which is in the house somewhere.  

For those of a certain age Peter is still remembered for his quote in the BEP the night before our round 2 FA Cup game against Rovers at Eastville. He said Rovers "Would win at a canter." Ummmm, wrong! Martyn Hirst scored the winner in front of the Tote End with minutes to spare.  

I was there that day and Peter's quote was the main talking point!  A few days later, he was quoted as saying that the quote was deliberately printed to make City win.

He was soon moved upstairs/sideways in the BEP.

35 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Do they have an on line version? If anybody can find out be grateful. I would happily support that from afar.

Bought it today, and there is an online version, will dig it out later when I get home and see exactly what it said.

Archived