IGNORED

Plea to Steve Lansdown for the Blackburn game

Jack Dawe

Steve,

I know you put piles of money into this club, more than anyone, but what I would do this week if I was you would be to lay on free, or half-price, or cost-price, travel to Blackburn. In fact, I would have chartered a train, weeks ago, but never mind.

I would do this because 1. This is a very popular thing with supporters (naturally). 2. It is a reward for your most loyal fans. 3. Other clubs do this, Steve. 4. I know what it is like to travel up and down the country following a losing team; the sense that the club truly, geniunely, appreciate you by looking after the most dedicated supporters in this way will pay you back many times over (as you take another dent in your pocket, and make money for Blackburn instead). Think long term, Steve. 5. It's a good news story, and you need as many of those as you can get. A bit of an olive branch and a coming-together-again with the support is needed right now. 6. Not least, this is a massive game, and having as many fans going as possible will create a buzz and lift the players. And the head coach!

Steve, you did not spend your younger days travelling up and down the country following a football team, standing on open terraces getting soaked and showered with all sorts by home fans, and mistreated by the West Mids or South Yorks plod, and seeing our centre half fall over in the last minute and concede a last minute winner, then get back to your car and find it trashed by local thugs or get stuck on the M6 for 4 hours, and etc etc. But take it from me, a gesture like this - going that extra mile and getting behind the fans so they can get behind the team - is a winner; a win-win winner.

I know spending £50m on the ground is some gesture too, but this is one where you seemingly don't stand to make anything from it - indeed, Blackburn will benefit financially - but the goodwill generated by this will be far-reaching and beneficial to all of us long-term (you could do the same next season, too). And the team will benefit hugely, knowing loads of us are with them for this crucial game.

It's what I would do if I had your dosh and owned the club. Couldn't one of your BristolSport bods find a commercial partner to sponsor this sort of thing, once or twice a season? Like a betting company does for Preston, Brum and a couple of other Championship clubs.

Do this and you will ramp up the "raucous support for the team" you called for a few weeks ago in this crunch game. 

What's not to like?

Do we think that anyone in the current leadership of Bristol City has ever trecked around the country to watch their team from the terraces? Happy to be corrected but I can't think of any significant decision maker at Ashton Gate that fits the bill.

55 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Steve,

I know you put piles of money into this club, more than anyone, but what I would do this week if I was you would be to lay on free, or half-price, or cost-price, travel to Blackburn. In fact, I would have chartered a train, weeks ago, but never mind.

I would do this because 1. This is a very popular thing with supporters (naturally). 2. It is a reward for your most loyal fans. 3. Other clubs do this, Steve. 4. I know what it is like to travel up and down the country following a losing team; the sense that the club truly, geniunely, appreciate you by looking after the most dedicated supporters in this way will pay you back many times over (as you take another dent in your pocket, and make money for Blackburn instead). Think long term, Steve. 5. It's a good news story, and you need as many of those as you can get. A bit of an olive branch and a coming-together-again with the support is needed right now. 6. Not least, this is a massive game, and having as many fans going as possible will create a buzz and lift the players. And the head coach!

Steve, you did not spend your younger days travelling up and down the country following a football team, standing on open terraces getting soaked and showered with all sorts by home fans, and mistreated by the West Mids or South Yorks plod, and seeing our centre half fall over in the last minute and concede a last minute winner, then get back to your car and find it trashed by local thugs or get stuck on the M6 for 4 hours, and etc etc. But take it from me, a gesture like this - going that extra mile and getting behind the fans so they can get behind the team - is a winner; a win-win winner.

I know spending £50m on the ground is some gesture too, but this is one where you seemingly don't stand to make anything from it - indeed, Blackburn will benefit financially - but the goodwill generated by this will be far-reaching and beneficial to all of us long-term (you could do the same next season, too). And the team will benefit hugely, knowing loads of us are with them for this crucial game.

It's what I would do if I had your dosh and owned the club. Couldn't one of your BristolSport bods find a commercial partner to sponsor this sort of thing, once or twice a season? Like a betting company does for Preston, Brum and a couple of other Championship clubs.

Do this and you will ramp up the "raucous support for the team" you called for a few weeks ago in this crunch game. 

What's not to like?

Leave him alone, he's spent more on this club than us. He told me yesterday on the radio.

I really don't understand some people's obsession with the club putting on free coaches. 

Better would be something like the offer of a free (paid for by the club) offer of a match ticket for season ticket holders or anyone who has been to say 5 away games on the database, for the game, let people travel as they wish. 

Can anybody point me in the direction of where the stats are to support that the more fans attending a match equals better perfomance. Wolves showed yesterday it made no difference to them with a packed away end. If the players turn up on the day we have a chance, it doesn't matter if we have one man and his dog in the away end, if the players are on it on the day we will get a result.

6 minutes ago, screech said:

Can anybody point me in the direction of where the stats are to support that the more fans attending a match equals better perfomance. Wolves showed yesterday it made no difference to them with a packed away end. If the players turn up on the day we have a chance, it doesn't matter if we have one man and his dog in the away end, if the players are on it on the day we will get a result.

I hear that some of the half witted Wolves fans are so angry at the result yeaterday,  that they are going to organise a demonstration, boycott season tickets and trash talk their club on their fans forum.  I wish we had fans that were as dedicated to our club - think what a benefit they would be!

1 hour ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

Blimey, a rare thing on here - a good point well made.

No personal abuse, hatred, vitriol, just a reasonable suggestion with good justification. Some underlying sarcasm but a move in the right direction. 

Well done Jack.

Piss off you six fingered inbreed Gas Troll

:gasmask::gasmask::gasmask:

5 hours ago, screech said:

Wolves didn't sing anything yesterday, though, apart from two pretty tame "Bristol going down" chants. We knock our support so often but Wolves were bland yesterday, just as bad as we often can be.

It's not just about the Blackburn game, it is about building a better bond between club and fans. Doing something for the fans where there is no immediate monetary gain for the club. And not waiting for a 0:5 defeat to do it. Plus, a chance to build on a positive day yesterday where the team put the effort in and the crowd responded.

6 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Seems to be an increasingly popular tactic - get as many fans to attend pivotal away matches by subsidising things. 

Surprised we aren't using it tbh. Hopefully we don't look back and wish we had. 

I'm not surprised we aren't doing this yet, tbh. Sadly.

6 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I really don't understand some people's obsession with the club putting on free coaches. 

Better would be something like the offer of a free (paid for by the club) offer of a match ticket for season ticket holders or anyone who has been to say 5 away games on the database, for the game, let people travel as they wish. 

Is it an "obsession" ?

I like your alternative idea, though. Great suggestion. Same result! More backing for the team. Improved connection between club and supporters. Increased goodwill. As long as we don't lose 0:5. 

8 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

Steve,

What's not to like?

Jack, 

Why not write to him personally, rather than post on a forum that he may or may not read?

Let's be honest, how many more would go up there if it was free travel I would estimate an extra 150 tops, most wouldn't want to go by CATS (no disrespect to the service) I certainly wouldn't and most I know wouldn't either. Now if it was a free match ticket I think you would be looking at an extra 1000 at least.

18 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

Jack, 

Why not write to him personally, rather than post on a forum that he may or may not read?

I could do that, yes. Not a bad suggestion. You written any letters of late? Can't say I have. I wrote to Terry Cooper more than once though (and got a reply, each time).

Just now, weepywall said:

Let's be honest, how many more would go up there if it was free travel I would estimate an extra 150 tops, most wouldn't want to go by CATS (no disrespect to the service) I certainly wouldn't and most I know wouldn't either. Now if it was a free match ticket I think you would be looking at an extra 1000 at least.

Tends to be far more popular than that when other clubs do it. 

9 hours ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

Blimey, a rare thing on here - a good point well made.

No personal abuse, hatred, vitriol, just a reasonable suggestion with good justification. Some underlying sarcasm but a move in the right direction. 

Well done Jack.

& you had to be the patronising poster that try's to dictate what can be posted, thanks for ruining the thread ;)

11 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

Steve,

What's not to like?

This is all a bit self-serving, isn't it?  "I would have chartered a train"; "I would do this because..."; "But take it from me...";  "It's what I would do".  Presumably if he agrees to do it, you will then feel chuffed that it was all your idea?

Just now, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

This is all a bit self-serving, isn't it?  "I would have chartered a train"; "I would do this because..."; "But take it from me...";  "It's what I would do".  Presumably if he agrees to do it, you will then feel chuffed that it was all your idea?

I will, yes. Very chuffed. Chuff, chuff. Tickets please!

12 hours ago, Red Exile said:

Do we think that anyone in the current leadership of Bristol City has ever trecked around the country to watch their team from the terraces? Happy to be corrected but I can't think of any significant decision maker at Ashton Gate that fits the bill.

Probably not, but I remember standing on the terraces at Blackpool on a Tuesday night, probably in Feb/March back in 1989, next to Scott Davidson, which I'm guessing was before he was Chairman ? 

Im pretty sure the other clubs that do these free train journeys, do it when they have a sponsorship deal with one of the companies. Preston have been doing it and they are sponsored by VIRGIN TRAINS, it costs them nothing to do and would have been a part of the sponsorship deal.

So ultimately this is a thread where a dig can be made for the sake of having a go.

15 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

Steve,

What's not to like?

Decent post. Would love it to happen....

15 hours ago, screech said:

There was a Swedish club last season (October just gone) who ended up relegated and were playing one of the top 4 sides (at the time) away in a 700 mile round trip. For that game they had a massive away following of 1, who saw them come away with a shock win.

As you say, the number of fans has no direct on the result, and it's simply down to the players, but the fans can play a part too.

59 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

Going back to October 2009 the other lot chartered a train to Norwich.

The cost then to hire a (two)engine/s and coaches set was 18,000 pounds.It would not be HST type train

I think they just about covered the cost of the hire(at 55 pound per per traveller?)

The Rovers don't like it when you call them travellers. It's gypsy

13 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

I could do that, yes. Not a bad suggestion. You written any letters of late? Can't say I have. I wrote to Terry Cooper more than once though (and got a reply, each time). 

You've already written it. Just send it to him rather than post it on here!!!

:thumbsup:

Archived