IGNORED

Life without Tammy?

Dolman Block B

1 hour ago, Jack Dawe said:

Have been thinking the very same - well, I put it at 100 goals - for some years and when Baldock moved on he was just the latest example.

What if we had a forward scoring say 13 or 14 a season for three seasons - would a bigger fish want someone scoring at that rate; and would we extend his contract by another year or two, or get a bit frustrated he isn't scoring 17 or 18 and hanker after a new forward?

Either way, it is a symptom of modern football, the transient nature of contracts and careers especially for sought after players. There isn't as much time for player and fans to "bond" - certainly not with goal-scoring heroes - for great moments and memories to be shared, and a sense of not wanting to develop too much attachment to the better players pervades, as we now know they will be off (if they score 20+ a season, for example). This, imho, in part explains a lot of the cynicism and fickleness from fans toward players (only made worse by social media etc). 

It is the average players that stay the longest, not the ones to inhabit your imagination and daydreams but many of them have their attractions too.

It would help if we progressed on the pitch as a club, then good players would stay with us for longer.

4 hours ago, 22A said:

Assuming we do sign a suitable replacement; please can we sign them for at least three years?

Maynard, Baldock, Smith, Kodjia and now Abraham; all here for just two years or less. This means City are each Summer, trying to keep up rather than strengthen and progress.

We do! Kodjia was on a 3 year contract. So was Baldock. Maynard had a 4 year contract. Smith and Abraham were only on loan so not really relevant. The reality is that a successful season with us and agents start looking around, and whatever deal they are on there's always a risk we lose them. 

Tammy just needs to realise that by and large, the 'stars' that leave us, their careers turn to shit.

Ergo, he's better off staying with us to save his career :fingerscrossed:

Do we need a replacement for Tammy? What our team needs is time actually playing together in a settled side. Too often players are alongside several different players, in different positions, each week. Eleven individuals on a pitch, from no fault of their own. It looks like we are stuck with Johnson and so if we spend money on anyone who has an ego or played at a higher level than him, they will fall out like Tomlin, Gon, maybe even Jens has. Tammy has helped pull us through the mire, but he has never been a solution to the problems we have, just an asset that distracts from them. Let Taylor and Djuric form a partnership, give them a run of games together. Something permanent. Both offer clever play up front and in different ways that complement each other. Let Mccoulsky or that Swedish chap sit on the bench to fill in when needed. We spout on about the academy pathway so use it. If we get another young loan in from a top club, he will have to play a certain number of games, dictating our team selection and preventing us building a settled side of our own players. I would like to see very little incoming transfer activity this year; our squad is bloated. The less LJ has to pick from, the less he can mess it up. I may get my wish as I think quite a few players will leave and we will have less of a pull now talk of LJ’s man management follies will have gotten round. If LJ won’t use Magners on the left then a pair of full backs would be handy.

2 hours ago, Dolman Block B said:

Another hat trick for S McCoulsky tonight

Maybe a ready made replacement???

Have you watched him??.....not yet ready for first team football and another one for the future.

We will need to spend on a couple of strikers regardless of the division were in-my concern is whose spending the money!

11 minutes ago, Bobfish said:

Do we need a replacement for Tammy? What our team needs is time actually playing together in a settled side. Too often players are alongside several different players, in different positions, each week. Eleven individuals on a pitch, from no fault of their own. It looks like we are stuck with Johnson and so if we spend money on anyone who has an ego or played at a higher level than him, they will fall out like Tomlin, Gon, maybe even Jens has. Tammy has helped pull us through the mire, but he has never been a solution to the problems we have, just an asset that distracts from them. Let Taylor and Djuric form a partnership, give them a run of games together. Something permanent. Both offer clever play up front and in different ways that complement each other. Let Mccoulsky or that Swedish chap sit on the bench to fill in when needed. We spout on about the academy pathway so use it. If we get another young loan in from a top club, he will have to play a certain number of games, dictating our team selection and preventing us building a settled side of our own players. I would like to see very little incoming transfer activity this year; our squad is bloated. The less LJ has to pick from, the less he can mess it up. I may get my wish as I think quite a few players will leave and we will have less of a pull now talk of LJ’s man management follies will have gotten round. If LJ won’t use Magners on the left then a pair of full backs would be handy.

Our squad is imbalanced-we have enough young players,some with definate potential-need a couple more who have,and can do it at this level,in this country-if we stay up..

12 minutes ago, Bobfish said:

In answer to your first question, I'd say yes. Next season feels me with dread regardless if we stay in this division or get relegated. As stated in another topic, I have no trust in this coaching staff to improve the current crop of players, and potential new signings. Bringing in someone who can score over 20 goals a season is no easy task. I get where you are coming from regarding playing a settling side, and I do agree, it is most definitely required. However, if Taylor and Djuric were to be a our main strike force next season, then I honestly believe we will do a Rotherham and go down without a whimper. It feels like we've jumped in the quick sand and Tammy is pulling us out. Next season he will not be here, and unless we uncover a gem in the summer much like Kodjia, then I think next season will be our worst in a long time if Lansdown puts as much trust in Johnson as he has this season.

22 minutes ago, Red_Wizard said:

In answer to your first question, I'd say yes. Next season feels me with dread regardless if we stay in this division or get relegated. As stated in another topic, I have no trust in this coaching staff to improve the current crop of players, and potential new signings. Bringing in someone who can score over 20 goals a season is no easy task. I get where you are coming from regarding playing a settling side, and I do agree, it is most definitely required. However, if Taylor and Djuric were to be a our main strike force next season, then I honestly believe we will do a Rotherham and go down without a whimper. It feels like we've jumped in the quick sand and Tammy is pulling us out. Next season he will not be here, and unless we uncover a gem in the summer much like Kodjia, then I think next season will be our worst in a long time if Lansdown puts as much trust in Johnson as he has this season.

Mate,100% if we stay up we can't rely on Djuric/Taylor as our main partnership,even though IMO both have done OK and have potential,Djuric especially.

The planning/thought process with this can't be easy for MA with obvious uncertainty,and too simplistic to have plan A,plan B....good luck with that!

57 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Our squad is imbalanced-we have enough young players,some with definate potential-need a couple more who have,and can do it at this level,in this country-if we stay up..

Whilst I agree, LJ seems to fall out with any who have been there and done it at a level higher to himself. He says he wants leaders on the pitch, but clearly not off of it.

23 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Mate,100% if we stay up we can't rely on Djuric/Taylor as our main partnership,even though IMO both have done OK and have potential,Djuric especially.

The planning/thought process with this can't be easy for MA with obvious uncertainty,and too simplistic to have plan A,plan B....good luck with that!

I disagree about your fears of Taylor and Djuric. Beating wolves showed us what a good partnership between  two strikers can do – Tammy’s goals and general play was enabled by the hard work of taylor, evidenced by how Tammy was effectively man marked out of the game when taylor went off. Tammy is a great poacher, which is just as well as LJ provided no other option this season. Pretty much all his goals have been in the six yard box because that is how our choice of attacking play has limited our options. Tammy was played upfront alone for much of the first half of the season, or in a “partnership” with Tomlin who doesn’t do the hard work required in a partnership and also plays too deep. Taylor runs the defence ragged and pulls them out of position, something our static attacking play has lacked all season. Djuric is agile for such a big man, makes space by his physicality “tying up” defenders which could work well with the intelligent movement of Taylor. Plus the ball sticks to him, enabling us a chance of winning the ball when flint panics and lumps it up field. Too much of this season has been hit it towards Tammy and hope; in relation to your post we have only had a "plan A" up front. We started the season well, but as soon as Cardiff showed the world how to mark Tammy out of existence, our season nose dived. A forward pairing that has grown to play off eachother, providing more to our team that just a "plan A" could transform our fortunes. We can't rely on finding another tammy, who, great as he has been for us, has only helped paper over the cracks.

On 10/04/2017 at 09:08, 22A said:

Assuming we do sign a suitable replacement; please can we sign them for at least three years?

Maynard, Baldock, Smith, Kodjia and now Abraham; all here for just two years or less. This means City are each Summer, trying to keep up rather than strengthen and progress.

I may be having a 'senior' Tuesday but who was the striker Smith? Surely you don't mean Matt Smith who was here on loan for three months and was never our player?!

Apologies if I've missed someone obvious!

On 10/04/2017 at 10:44, Kid in the Riot said:

Since we got promoted to the Championship in 2007 Tammy is now out joint second highest scorer with Marvin Elliott (!) on 21 goals behind Maynard who is way out in front on his own with 45 goals.

Interestingly if you take out Tammy's goals this season we'd be 13 points worse off so he's accounted for about 25% of our points tally!

Yep we'd be down with Rotherham already... 

Interesting that in two generally poor seasons,  the club has found two hidden gems in Kodj and Tammy. Maybe we are doing something right!

One positive I see for next season is Djuric looks like he's shaping up to be a very handy player. Whether he'll be here if we get relegated though is anyone's guess.

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 13:15, Kid in the Riot said:

It would help if we progressed on the pitch as a club, then good players would stay with us for longer.

It's that old chicken and the egg catch 22 etc, what comes first, how can we progress if players keep leaving and until we progress good players wont come we had this problem last season I don't know what the answer is.

On 09/04/2017 at 18:31, Dolman Block B said:

Dreadful season, even if we are lucky to keep our Championship season.

The bigger picture that this wonderful talent will be off, there is no doubt of that. 

To think Mr SL could do a deal to keep him would be nothing short of a miracle but that wont happen.

So, who could we possibly bring in to match what has been a breath of fresh air, a huge talent, a lovely young man, and someone who has giving his all to our club?

Over to you.

Timmy Abraham.

Archived