IGNORED

How does daryl Clarkes mother feel?

The Humble Realist

I don't find it offensive, and I have lost both my parents. I don't sing it in particular but in an odd way I expect it to be sung, wouldn't seem right if it wasn't, it's the standard football chant towards your local 'rival'.

The only way it would be offensive was if we were playing Dopey's team a few days after he lost his mother, to taunt him then would be crass and cruel.

I remember playing the Gas away at Twerton, Holloway had recently lost his father and he got dogs abuse from the City fans. The atmosphere was so hostile, now that was sticking the knife in and could understand why we round be hated for that ( I think it was at Twerton, it's a while ago but he was definitely abused about his Dad at a match). The Darryl taunt is pure banter compared to that.

Why do some of our race hate others who are different so much? Have we not learnt that hate taken to extremes causes death and destruction of us, our loved ones and many others?

Banter and mickey taking but why insult and hurt emotionally?

Have we not learnt that tolerance of others with differing backgrounds and ideas is the best way?

I had the unfortunate non pleasure of visiting The Mem on Thursday for the Charity I am involved with. As I entered the club shop I felt as though a million eyes were looking and piercing my skin. All around was a blue and white haze, thankfully I had a couple of 'Quells' before going in. People were coming in to get tickets for teams like Oldham and Millwall. The woman I had come to see when informed who I was shouted out 'I only do the Charity side by e-mails' from her seat in the back office. I politely ( whilst gagging) informed her we had sent her an email. 'I havent got it, send it again' was her reply. How rude was my first thought then I realised where I was. Grubby little club. Grubby people. Grubby ground. Thankfully yesterday came quickly and a full recovery has been made. COYR

OK so I've had a bit of stick for my opening post and that's fair enough ..everyone is entitled to their opinion ..

Im not actually offended by the song in any way (although I wouldn't sing it personally ) ...but thought I'd float the concept out there as it's one thing singing about someone e.g. Clarke , Holloway etc but why take it onto another individual. 

If barnsley fans who despise LJ next week start singing vile songs about gary johnsons health will the same fans telling me to lighten up be spitting venom towards the away end?

Note: it's a hypothetical questions...I don't expect barnsley to do anything of the sort

10 hours ago, Rednwhiterob said:

I cringe every time I hear this.  Some of our supporters are low life.

What's ironic about this is I bet the fans who enjoy singing the song think people like me are low life but the fans who don't like it feel the same about those who do !!

For the record I don't know you so can't really call u low life ...but I do understand why someone might cringe at my opening post...I half cringed at myself writing it !

41 minutes ago, The Humble Realist said:

What's ironic about this is I bet the fans who enjoy singing the song think people like me are low life but the fans who don't like it feel the same about those who do !!

For the record I don't know you so can't really call u low life ...but I do understand why someone might cringe at my opening post...I half cringed at myself writing it !

I don't think chanting this makes you a low life but shows that you(not aimed at you) don't think about what you actually singing about, in day to day life they are probably nice people.

Just to show we all have our own  prejudices I will never own /hire a bmw. 

2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Just be thankful you`re not Kelvin Mackenzie......................

used to get up and started thanking for everyone I did not want to be but by the time I had finished it was time for bed again.

57 minutes ago, The Humble Realist said:

I don't think anyone would think you're low life for your opinion. That comment just sums up to me that you just feel the need to be offended - as your OP suggests. 

I'd probably guess anytime you go out with your mates and someone gives it out over another mates mum or missus you don't jump in saying it's out of line so why you're getting offended over a football chant just seems odd. 

Looks like a case of the 2017 cuckold syndrome. Men are pathetic these days, dread to think of this generation going to either of the world wars. 

1 hour ago, oldstandrobin said:

I had the unfortunate non pleasure of visiting The Mem on Thursday for the Charity I am involved with. As I entered the club shop I felt as though a million eyes were looking and piercing my skin. All around was a blue and white haze, thankfully I had a couple of 'Quells' before going in. People were coming in to get tickets for teams like Oldham and Millwall. The woman I had come to see when informed who I was shouted out 'I only do the Charity side by e-mails' from her seat in the back office. I politely ( whilst gagging) informed her we had sent her an email. 'I havent got it, send it again' was her reply. How rude was my first thought then I realised where I was. Grubby little club. Grubby people. Grubby ground. Thankfully yesterday came quickly and a full recovery has been made. COYR

There must be an exaggeration switch that is turned on when people enter that ground. 

Just now, Benjam!n Ultra said:

I don't think anyone would think you're low life for your opinion. That comment just sums up to me that you just feel the need to be offended - as your OP suggests. 

I'd probably guess anytime you go out with your mates and someone gives it out over another mates mum or missus you don't jump in saying it's out of line so why you're getting offended over a football chant just seems odd. 

Looks like a case of the 2017 cuckold syndrome. Men are pathetic these days, dread to think of this generation going to either of the world wars. 

Had that.

21 minutes ago, Benjam!n Ultra said:

As I said I'm not actually offended by the song...just thought I'd put the  question out there and see if people thought we should be better than that...

The OP was to gauge opinion rather than express my own so to speak.. ...the low life comment was a reponse to another poster calling me low life....

I also said should I lighten up...I think I probably should !! 

Think he lost his gran on the morning of the away game to Chesterfield, and as mentioned was apparently very close with her.

The fact that he still traveled with the team to manage is one of the many reasons why he's so adored by us. As for the chant, isn't it just one of those generic football chants that every club sing? 

I don't hate Darryl Clark and the songs about his mother for me are a tad embarrassing. Mr Clark is a very good manager who will go onto good things, he talks well in the media and the Gas have a little gem. As for our songs/ chants they've gone backwards over the years choosing to become vile rather than witty banter of yester year. The old days . Different game and culture I know 

Just now, Bat Fastard said:

Oh yes - it is catching! That is why I would never sit next to a denizen of Burnham! :thumbsup:

Luckily, I take medication to keep my Bristol accent and wear a protective suit at all times. Drinking in Burnham is the worst thing that you can do, hence why I drink in Weston Super Mare. Pray Bat, you say you live in Somerset, it is a large county, can you narrow it down to ................say 1 mile :laughcont:

Archived