IGNORED

Give Scott Murray a testimonial thread

Septic Peg

Ok, so this has been mentioned a few times and I know a few agree...

Traditionally, a testimonial is offered to a player in retirement as a way of attracting and raising funds for said player. In recent years however, a testimonial is merely ceremonial and if not required by the player, profits are either given to charity or spent within the club (such as on an academy day out).

I personally think it's terrible that Mr Scott Murray has yet to have one. He has a combined tenure of over ten years and over 300 appearances. He was also our top scorer in one season I recall with over 20 goals.

Figures taken from Wiki so not necessarily reliable:

1997–2003 Bristol City 225 (46)

2004–2009 Bristol City 129 (28)

Granted, he left for Reading for a brief period but soon returned and eventually became our current kitman when his playing days finally ended.

This thread is to appeal to the powers that be ie SL and all other board members. 

Scott is already down as a legend on our South Stand ceiling and he now deserves this final opportunity to see how much he is still respected by both BCFC and its fans.

Please sign below. Thank you.

As much as I love Scott Murray he shouldn't get a testimonial in my opinion . We helped him in his career and he performed well for us, he made a lucrative move to reading and eventually returned to us. 

We have also gave him employment after retirement which suits him down to the ground. And sees him earning a good wage for the forseable future which is as good as a testimonial in my eyes ? 

2 minutes ago, Spoons said:

As much as I love Scott Murray he shouldn't get a testimonial in my opinion . We helped him in his career and he performed well for us, he made a lucrative move to reading and eventually returned to us. 

We have also gave him employment after retirement which suits him down to the ground. And sees him earning a good wage for the forseable future which is as good as a testimonial in my eyes ? 

But like I said originally, it's mainly ceremonial now. Scott could donate any profits to a charity of his choice for example. Its more about recognition.

Just now, Septic Peg said:

But like I said originally, it's mainly ceremonial now. Scott could donate any profits to a charity of his choice for example. Its more about recognition.

Scott Murray gets more recognition than any other recent player! Not needed at all. 

Could raise some money for the tom ritchies and Gerry sweeneys of the world who are working well in their late 60's !! 

And after speaking to Gerry last week he isn't cleaning windows because he loves it ! Irionic thing is he was cleaning Louis careys windows in flax bourton!! Another recently retired modern day footballer who's living in a £750,000 house and never has to work again if he didn't want to!! 

Not a attack on the players or the OP just not a great idea.

Just now, Spoons said:

Scott Murray gets more recognition than any other recent player! Not needed at all. 

Could raise some money for the tom ritchies and Gerry sweeneys of the world who are working well in their late 60's !! 

And after speaking to Gerry last week he isn't cleaning windows because he loves it ! Irionic thing is he was cleaning Louis careys windows in flax bourton!! Another recently retired modern day footballer who's living in a £750,000 house and never has to work again if he didn't want to!! 

Not a attack on the players or the OP just not a great idea.

I agree with what you are saying, and yes, chaps like Gerry and Tom deserve the same recognition. 

But Tinman had a testimonial and he's still in paid work even now. 

Swings and roundabouts.

Perhaps if a testimonial for Scott doesn't garner much support, the club can start putting the feelers out for testimonials of fellas like Gerry and Tom. We haven't done one since Louis which was in 2012. A whole 5 years. 1 game every summer to make a few bob for someone from the past. What's not to support?

Just now, Septic Peg said:

I agree with what you are saying, and yes, chaps like Gerry and Tom deserve the same recognition. 

But Tinman had a testimonial and he's still in paid work even now. 

Swings and roundabouts.

Perhaps if a testimonial for Scott doesn't garner much support, the club can start putting the feelers out for testimonials of fellas like Gerry and Tom. We haven't done one since Louis which was in 2012. A whole 5 years. 1 game every summer to make a few bob for someone from the past. What's not to support?

Because do really need to raise a 'few bob' for a player who signed a contract at reading for three years on £7,000 a week and a sizeable signing on fee? 

In my opinion not. 

Archived