IGNORED

Can we all relax now and look forward to next season ?

The Red Planet

16 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Pretty sure we're agreeing, last few results picked up, and about time too.

Lets just get to the end of the season, I just can't shake the doubt I have but it'll be over soon and we can regroup.

As LJ is staying no matter what, it appears, the transfers out will be pretty interesting to see where the club is.  Shift out the old guard?  Shift out his own purchases that have had little or no game time?  

I think this window will be really interesting.

Don't know why city don't employ you as transfer manager!

1 hour ago, The Red Planet said:

I know safety is not yet assured, but we all know we are staying up. 

I am sick and tired of carping against SL and LJ on this forum - could we now give it a break and start looking forward. 

Of course we had a dreadful run of results through the winter, but all City fans should listen to the interview with SL on RB with Twentyman just before the Wolves game. 

First of all, he made it perfectly clear that LJ will remain as Head Coach if we stay up. He also talked about the "project" - which is to make BCFC self sufficient financially and (although he did not actually say this) no longer dependent on him dipping into his pockets to cover annual trading losses. 

SL is a Bristolian and a City fan - it does not get better. And he is a really nice bloke. 

LJ is still learning his trade, but I think he is on the right track and don't forget that part of the "project" is not lashing out the (reported) £2M - £3M annual salary that some Championship managers get paid. 

We are in good hands and I think we can expect much better next season.

Although - my only concern is that without Tammy we would have been relegated this season and I am sure he will be playing in the PL next season (if not with Chelsea).

So, I hope that the people I have talked up above can find a striker as good to replace him. 

I think that even thinking we are safe is dangerous. When it is mathematically impossible to be relegated is when we can relax. And to suggest that everything in the garden is rosey after the season we  have had is beyond belief.

39 minutes ago, Bullbag said:

This utter car crash of a season proves otherwise.

The man is a disaster.

Trouble is you have dug yourself such a big hole you cannot see the improvements, or turn a blind eye. Car crash will be relegation, you should only judge on what is before you at the time, not what has gone, and in that he has steadied the ship and has imo come out of this fairly well. He still is learning, look at Zola, this game is littered with failures, looks like Steve's gamble has paid off, I admit I couldn't see it, but I was wrong. I hope he learns from this and stays the course, that way the club will have a better future,

And that is surely what even you would want, despite your stance?  

Just now, redandy1 said:

I think that even thinking we are safe is dangerous. When it is mathematically impossible to be relegated is when we can relax. And to suggest that everything in the garden is rosey after the season we  have had is beyond belief.

That complacency is why we have been knee deep in ordure for the majority of this season.

We are far from safe yet.  Nightmare scenario: for whatever reason we lose at home to Barnsley; Blackburn and Forest both win.  Suddenly we're a point above the drop zone with two to play and we have to go to Brighton next.  Blackburn get another win, Forest get a draw, we're in the relegation zone with a game to play, and it's Birmingham at home.  Anything could happen.

Seven points from the last three is fantastic, but we need to get to 50 before we can feel anything like safe.

1 hour ago, The Red Planet said:

I am sick and tired of carping against SL and LJ on this forum - could we now give it a break and start looking forward. 

Of course we had a dreadful run of results through the winter, but all City fans should listen to the interview with SL on RB with Twentyman just before the Wolves game. 

First of all, he made it perfectly clear that LJ will remain as Head Coach if we stay up. He also talked about the "project" - which is to make BCFC self sufficient financially and (although he did not actually say this) no longer dependent on him dipping into his pockets to cover annual trading losses. 

SL is a Bristolian and a City fan - it does not get better. And he is a really nice bloke. 

LJ is still learning his trade, but I think he is on the right track and don't forget that part of the "project" is not lashing out the (reported) £2M - £3M annual salary that some Championship managers get paid. 

Although - my only concern is that without Tammy we would have been relegated this season and I am sure he will be playing in the PL next season (if not with Chelsea).

So, I hope that the people I have talked up above can find a striker as good to replace him. 

I only read your first sentence . This is Bristol City , nothing done yet and we shouldn't be in this position . I've just got back and today we were really good for a hour and should of been 3 up but this is the the most unpredictable league going . Plenty of work to do yet. 

3 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

We are far from safe yet.  Nightmare scenario: for whatever reason we lose at home to Barnsley; Blackburn and Forest both win.  Suddenly we're a point above the drop zone with two to play and we have to go to Brighton next.  Blackburn get another win, Forest get a draw, we're in the relegation zone with a game to play, and it's Birmingham at home.  Anything could happen.

Seven points from the last three is fantastic, but we need to get to 50 before we can feel anything like safe.

Blackburn go to Wolves next week, Blackburn have won 1 of the last 9 and Wolves have won 6 of the last 8 including impressive wins at Leeds and Brentford so unlikely they'll win there but of course not impossible, we'll beat Barnsley anyway so all irrelevant 

2 minutes ago, harrys said:

Blackburn go to Wolves next week, Blackburn have won 1 of the last 9 and Wolves have won 6 of the last 8 including impressive wins at Leeds and Brentford so unlikely they'll win there but of course not impossible, we'll beat Barnsley anyway so all irrelevant 

Unless of course it doesn't happen like that.  We get a man sent off in the first 20 minutes against Barnsley, and it all goes whatsits up.  Blackburn get a lucky win at Wolves, who were nothing special against us.  Of course it could happen - unlikely, but perfectly possible.  I won't feel able to relax until we're mathematically safe, and that might mean another five points yet.

2 hours ago, The Red Planet said:

I agree with most of that - but it puts me in mind of that revolting ginger, Welsh Labour politician who held a victory rally before losing the election - Allright.....well ALLRIGHT!  It is a bit too soon to be cocky just yet!

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

While the season still waits to be analysed, I think in the last few matches Johnson has proved that, whatever he is, he is neither useless, nor a fool.

I think you are wasting your time.

Same old emailers/tweeters on the radio bristol as well. Someone blamed Johnson for not coaching the players to finish. Cus I'm sure none of that is down to the players themselves.

Remember anything positive = down to players (or blame Johnson e.g. 'for not playing Patterson months ago'), but anything negative = Johnson's fault.

Much as I thought Johnson should have been removed before now, I think there are enough signs of improvement to be guardedly optimistic for the future. And given that he's going nowhere, the constant sniping on here is just some kind of wish fulfilment exercise. And extremely boring to read.

We could go on to win the league next season and there will still be a few who 'won't go back down until he's gone'.

Ah, so here's the thread full of the posters fuming that results have picked up under LJ and congregating in their bitterness. Thought it was too positive and sensible elsewhere on the forum. 18th in the league = disaster. Get over yourselves. Can't let go of the bad set of results despite LJ proving before and after it, that he's more than capable of managing at this level but instead you focus on that period, which whilst awful, doesn't paint the bigger picture. But that doesn't suit your agendas.

Probably just pent up frustration because the fifteen of you have missed the last 3 home wins due to your 'boycott' and 'protests'. :laugh:

As for the OP, I wouldn't say we're safe yet but we're in a good position and one I'd certainly want to be in over the other teams around us. Just need to continue doing what we have been doing the last two months.

Relax....

As some posts say... LJ teams have a habit of inconsistency & we are far from safe yet...

Have to admit having finally decided on a settled team after 40 odd games it's looking far better...

But what I find strange is that so many fans tend to be celebrating staying up...

When we've had a record breaking run of loss's and our biggest defeat of many a year...

16 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I agree with most of that - but it puts me in mind of that revolting ginger, Welsh Labour politician who held a victory rally before losing the election - Allright.....well ALLRIGHT!  It is a bit too soon to be cocky just yet!

I remember that ill advised Labour rally very well FB.

Not being cocky - just realistic, but of course until it is mathematically impossible for us to be relegated I will hold my breath.

However, I will take a £1000 bet tonight against anyone who says we will be relegated.

Very simply - if we stay up you pay me. Or, if you are right, I will pay you. 

Seriously. 

9 minutes ago, The Red Planet said:

Not being cocky - just realistic, but of course until it is mathematically impossible for us to be relegated I will hold my breath.

However, I will take a £1000 bet tonight against anyone who says we will be relegated.

Seriously. 

Well I think we will avoid the drop - and I have always thought that. The slight worry I have stems from when we played Walsall in our promotion season. If Brighton managed to do that to us, we may be wobbly against a rejuvenated Brum - long shot I know, but it makes Barnsley a must win in my book!  There must be some of the LJ and SL critics who would take your bet! I would never bet against City - it would feel disloyal!

15 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

Ah, so here's the thread full of the posters fuming that results have picked up under LJ and congregating in their bitterness. Thought it was too positive and sensible elsewhere on the forum. 18th in the league = disaster. Get over yourselves. Can't let go of the bad set of results despite LJ proving before and after it, that he's more than capable of managing at this level but instead you focus on that period, which whilst awful, doesn't paint the bigger picture. But that doesn't suit your agendas.

Probably just pent up frustration because the fifteen of you have missed the last 3 home wins due to your 'boycott' and 'protests'. :laugh:

As for the OP, I wouldn't say we're safe yet but we're in a good position and one I'd certainly want to be in over the other teams around us. Just need to continue doing what we have been doing the last two months.

You again - with any excuse to get in a pro-Johnson chant.  Its all a bit obvious, your posting. Just as bad as any from the Johnson out camp.  And there is the core of the answer 'looking forward to next season'?.  

A divided fan base, and personally a feeling of a dark cloud over the club due to the vociferous 'outs' and 'ins.  Also too many things that will not be forgotten like the ill-judged 'its the fans fault', and 'I've spent more money than them' which I am sure were let out in the heat of the moment, caued by the division in opinion.  I'd like to see that all settled before relaxing into a new season and I can't see that with Johnson here.

And I did lift my own boycott and went to the QPR game actually.  Its my team and club.  I don't have another.  I'm just putting up with it for now.

Relax? Wow. We scraped a win at wigan due to a dodgy ref, beat Huddersfield, a good win, one to be proud of, but no doubt they were shell-shocked from seeing their mate break his back or whatever horrendous injury it was. We then get beat by Brentford and completely violated at preston, to such an extent that the players (although not Johnson I think) offer to refund the travelling supporters. We then beat Wolves and QPR, two teams with nothing to play for. Yet, when we do face a team with something to play for, Blackburn, we only manage a draw. Against one of the few teams that have been worse than us this season. Now I am not complaining at the draw, it serves us by what it takes from Blackburn, but relax? Wow. This upsurge of form has been nice, but needs to be taken in context. To pretend everything is rosy is blinkered; we will need to work hard to avoid relegation. And when we do, which I think we will, it can hardly be called a success, rather damage limitation. SL has tied himself to the mast and it appears we are stuck with LJ, for better or worse. But the players have a choice and we will have to see what upheaval awaits us in the transfer window, because it would not surprise me if a few, especially the older players, want to leave. This will help us see what has really been going on at the club this season.

I was a big LJ supporter until the second Cardiff game and I would like to think LJ has started to learn from his mistakes, but then I hoped that before preston. Hopefully the youngsters will have grown from the season’s experience, those in the team or on loan, giving us something to build on. But until we start showing consistent results against teams with something to play for, the jury is still out. The plummet we witnessed for most of this season cannot just be brushed aside.

10 minutes ago, paulcityfan said:

You again - with any excuse to get in a pro-Johnson chant.  Its all a bit obvious, your posting. Just as bad as any from the Johnson out camp.  And there is the core of the answer 'looking forward to next season'?.  

A divided fan base, and personally a feeling of a dark cloud over the club due to the vociferous 'outs' and 'ins.  Also too many things that will not be forgotten like the ill-judged 'its the fans fault', and 'I've spent more money than them' which I am sure were let out in the heat of the moment, caued by the division in opinion.  I'd like to see that all settled before relaxing into a new season and I can't see that with Johnson here.

And I did lift my own boycott and went to the QPR game actually.  Its my team and club.  I don't have another.  I'm just putting up with it for now.

The improved form over the last two months of is an 'excuse'? Give over. It's not any 'pro-Johnson chant', it's simply not being so set in my ways that I refuse to give a person any praise when warranted because I got upset over a bad spell. Criticism was warranted at that time but people claiming he's a 'useless fool' and other such things are just stuck in their ways and it's very sad.

Yes, I am looking forward to next season, as I am for most seasons. Hopefully we can stay up and kick on and continue the form we've been showing recently.

Fan base isn't as divided as some on this forum would make you think, that's for sure. Non-existent protests and boycotts from the vocal minority. The dark cloud was during the losing run, that was a low point for sure, but the clouds are beginning to part going by recent events. It's not been a good season but it's certainly not been a disastrous one. A season in which we went on an appalling run? Yes. But boo hoo, we have about 3/4 less wins than most of the teams from about 8th-15th, not as if we're rock bottom or in the shoes of Leyton Orient/Coventry etc. People love to be melodramatic. I'm sure LJ and the team will learn a lot from this season. He did a good job with us before the bad run and him and the team have been doing really well in our efforts to stay up recently.

You're also alluding to the SL interview that was completely twisted by some to suit their agendas, and which most sensible people acknowledged to be the case. Who blamed the fans again? That's a new one.

You're one of those set in your ways if you genuinely believe that nonsense. It's the same small contingent of people with their constant negativity that I just find very, very sad. Refuse to post anything positive but focus on the negatives whenever they're on here, even when the bad run was a few months ago now.

46 minutes ago, The Red Planet said:

Seriously. 

I could bet the same £1000 at the bookies at 40/1 that we get relegated and win £40000, I"ll bet a tenner against your £1000 that we go down, how does that sound?

Archived